Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???

Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Stan7476
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???

I am at the point of painting the baby and am wondering what you folks have used for your Sopwith Pups. It will be the olive and tan, but I would like to know the exact paint code and did you use house paint or rattle can? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Stan
Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???

If you aren't using a glow fuel engine you might look at using acrylic hobby paints from the hobby store. Depending on your covering, and taste for the finished look you might try that. It is VERY cheap to go that way.you can use foam brushes to paint, and clear coat with cheap spray clears as swell. Some of the colors don't cover very opaque with one coat, but it ends up looking very realistic with a bit of a weathered look. You might want to try it on some scrap covering...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../anchor/tm.htm

A link to my finished pup, painted that way with intentional brush, and airbrush weathering...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The Olive drab is known as PC-10. There are many many discussions on the exact color of PC-10. FS 34078 is a pretty close match. If its just a fun build I'd go with that.

You can use Model Masters paints. You can also order PC-10 from Warbirdcolors.com. Both types need to be sprayed on.

The Tan color you're asking about is natural linen. Your covering should be close to that color to start with. Solartex has a color thats close. It's really too dark but its not bad for a sport plane.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Stan7476

Hey guys, Iappreciate the response. It is covered with solartex natural, but Ido plan on painting it. I just plan on having fun with it, but I want it to be close to original colors. Again I thank you and I will check this out.

BTY Foodstick, Ilike your pup. Are the roundels decals or painted on? They look good.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Solartex Natural (no color) to cover my SE5a and then painted it with Nelson's PC10 (Olive Drab) which I customized with acrylic paints...then clearcoated with Nelson's Flat Clear. PC10 is a funny color. One of the reasons there's so much debate is that it can look very different at different times in different light. The two photos of my SE5a below were taken minutes apart but it different lighting. Historical sources take about PC10 looking brownish in sunlight and greenish in shadow. And that's exactly the result I have here.

The PC10 debate centers of whether it was "greenish-brown" or "brownish-green." Personally, based on the full-scale aircraft I saw at the RAF Hendon museum, I'm in the "brownish-green" camp. So, IMHO, the "olive" paints (including the Nelson's) are too far on the green side. So I mixed in some red, black, and brown acrylic until I got the color I was after. It didn't seem to be a problem to mix the acrylic paint with the Nelson's. It will separate if it sits in the jar for several hours, which shows they aren't completely compatible. But it went on well with a foam brush and since I finished with several coats of fuel proof Flat Clear, I wasn't worried.

Make sure that when you do a "color test" that you judge the result OUTSIDE in both sunlight and shade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65876.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	1734115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19864.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	1734116  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
abufletcher

BTW, for the undersides, I sprayed with a cream-colored latex, then applied the Nelson's clear. The roundels are hand-painted with latex colors.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
foodstick

Stan everything on my plane is acrylic paint.. no stickers or decals...
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Stan7476

Abufletcher,  Nice SE5.  I love the WW1 planes.  What is the source for the Nelson paints?  I Googled it, but was not sure I had the correct one.  BTW send me some sushi, I miss it.  Since I retired, I have not been to Japan.  Are you a native or stationed there?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM
abufletcher

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php

A 1/2 pint of the Olive Drab should do for a smaller model, particularly if you end up adding acrylic to customize the color. I love the Flat Clear and use it on every one of my WWI models so I always order it in the quart size. You'll also need to order one of the small bottles of Cross-linker that makes the paint fuel-proof. If you do a custom mix of PC10 make sure to make more than enough because you'll never manage to match the color in another batch.

I'm an American teaching at a Japanese university. I've been here going on 16 years now.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
abufletcher

Here's the color mix I ended up using. The swatch in the middle is the unaltered Nelson's Olive Drab, which is too green for my tastes. On the right is the more brownish hue that I went with. The photo shows how much of of each of the acrylic I mixed with the 1/2 pint of the Olive Drag.

By the way, later in the way, the British also formulated a PC12 which was definitely browner...almost reddish.

Name:	Ki19189.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	1734651  
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Stan7476

Guess Iowe you guys a result photo. I have finally finished the Sopwith Baby, but have not flown it yet. We moved fields this year so the runway is not totally in with the grass yet and Iam still setting up the Q35 on the bench. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I ended up painting it with a custom mix Behr exterior paint from HD. Ifirst mixed up samples until Igot what looked correct in sunlight and shade, then asked them to color match at the store.

Name:	Sq48207.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1807900  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM
foodstick

I like it, it has to seem strange seeing those rollover skids up in the air..

nice job..