Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

scale contest rules

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

scale contest rules

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scale contest rules

Are the AMArules generally usedin scale contests? Perhaps a dumb question, but does your entry have to be flight ready - gassed up and ready to go?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: scale contest rules

The AMA rules are for AMA contests only. Scsle Masters has its own rules as well as Top Gun.

There are two parts to a contest. The static judging and score and the flight portion and its score. You only need to be ready to fly when its your turn to fly.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if the question is actually whether or not you may enter for static only?

While you don't have to be ready to fly when you static I suppose, you will have to be ready to fly and you can't get a static score posted until you have attempted an official flight. Typical of AMA, SM, TG.

Jeff Lovitt
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Scratchie

I was thinking of static - I'm not the greatest flyer but do enjoy building. This is all part of planning my next project, I'd like to build a P-38, B-17 or B-24, but I know my skills aren't there yet to fly it (especially after putting all the time into a build). There's always the P-47, but I'm drawing to multi-engine.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Then find a competent pilot you can work with and have confidence in, and fly team scale. You build and he flies your plane in the competition.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Scratchie

That's an idea. Ineed to look over the rules and see what category I'd fit in. I've seen some pics of scale work and they're very impressive, almost obssessive at times - Ineed to retire to compete with those guys!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scratchie

That's an idea. I need to look over the rules and see what category I'd fit in. I've seen some pics of scale work and they're very impressive, almost obssessive at times - I need to retire to compete with those guys!

If you build and someone flies, your eligible for team scale and only team scale
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM
TFF

The judging in all the classes go along the same lines. Other organizations pretty much use the AMA rules modified mosty to speed up judging; I believe Scale Masters skip the bottoms. Remember, be there to have fun first; not everyone shows up with a perfect plane, and some times it takes refinement. What you see and what the judge is looking for takes some practice. The best part is everyone is there for the same thing, having fun with their scale airplane.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 PM
rcphotog

ORIGINAL: Scratchie

does your entry have to be flight ready - gassed up and ready to go?
Short answer...yes.

I urge you and anyone interested in competition flying ( great-fun ) to attend a scale contest, at least as a spectator and at best, someone's "caller" / co-pilot.
Doing this will answer many if not all of your questions. And you'll have alot of fun too.

More directly to your question;...as a competitor, you will be asigned to a "flightline", usually at least two and a max of four lines, at the start of the flying portion of the contest. This will begin ( usually but not always ) after all of the models have gone through static-judging. Your model must have already been flown and proven safe at some point prior to contest day. No testing, no maiden flights, no first-flight-post-crash-rebuild aloud during the contest.

Find your name on the "Flightline" list and get familar with the planes that go before you and keep an eye on who's flying on your line. You and your model must be ready to go when your name is called. If you or your model are not ready then you can request to be reassigned to the end of the list. This decission is up to the C.D. ( contest director ). At a local Scale Masters qualifier, for example, your request will usually be granted the first time. But, the second time........probably not. As in all contests, you ( the competitor ) must be ready when called. If you fly your contest model in the days or weeks prior, then you'll be ready. Just practice your routine, both in the air and on the ground and things should go smoothy on contest day.
Contest flying doesn't have to be something to fear if you're prepared. However, I do understand someone's intrepidation if they have never flown in one.

Best advice,...find the neccessary documention for the plane you want to build FIRST...and then build a perfect replica...and then pick your maneuvers ( 5 manditory and 5 optional ) ....and then.......practice, practice, practice.
Don't forget to breath and ....have fun !

Good luck.
Ken.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Are the AMA rules generally used in scale contests?"

That TOTALLY depends on who is holding the contest. I entered one, once, and came away soooooo disgusted, I NEVER did again, at that club. It was a total joke.

"I urge you and anyone interested in competition flying ( great-fun ) to attend a scale contest, at least as a spectator and at best, someone's "caller" / co-pilot.
Doing this will answer many if not all of your questions."

Be certain that it is with the club that you intend to participate with. As I indicated above, all contests are NOT created equal, but usually precedents prevail.

Les
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Scratchie

It just makes sence to go to a few contests, I'll be doing that this summer.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest you enter Fun Scale with whatever model you have that fits the rules. You'll learn first-hand how things are run and what you need to do to improve your score.
Chuck
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Great advise so far! I think you will find the scale crowd is very friendly and helpful. One big point though, find someone reasonably successful and follow their advise and their advise alone. if you talk to a dozen different people you will hear a dozen different things. It will be maddening and just leave you confused. Pick a horse and ride it!! Once you geta bit of experience, then seek the thoughts of others as you will be able to process it much more effectively. Just my $.02

DJ