Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Fuel Proof Spray?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Fuel Proof Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Proof Spray?

Hey Guys, Can anyone recommend a decent fuel proof spray can for nitro?
I am near the near the end of my last "Simprop" urethane spray that seems to do a good job..but unable to find here in US..
My trip to my local autobody paint shop has 2 component spray cans that have a 24 hr shelf life after activating ($25.- yikes).. they also have a 2 component sytem that one can mix and spray through a gun for $50.-...both a are probaly worth it for larger projects but I just need to occasionally spray the under bellies of my models.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Proof Spray?

Lustercoat clear has worked very well for me in the same situation you describe. Used to come in flat and gloss but I have only
seen gloss in th last couple of years at the LHS.

Dan
Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Laird SS

Just bought a can of LustreKote Flat Clear this past week at my LHS. Part number is TOPR7500. The can is a little bit confusing. It says Flat Clear just above the part number and High Gloss, Fuel Proof in the middle of the can. I'm hoping it really is flat.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I heard from my LHS that Lustercoat is being phased out.I'm trying Minwax water based polyureathane,(blue can).dries fast,1/2 hr.-jeffo
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jeffo

I heard from my LHS that Lustercoat is being phased out.

I've been using Lustercoat as well since Black Baron Clear went away. I guess I'll have to find another fuel "proofer".

I'll have to read up on this Minwax Polycrylic stuff.

I once heard a rumor that Krylon clear was fuel proof after you let it set a week or two. I can tell you it's not.

If the fuel oil residue makes the clear coat gummy the next day in areas where you didn't get it wiped off the model then I consider that "Not Fuelproof".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17597.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1742433  
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I heard from my LHS that Lustercoat is being phased out.I'm trying Minwax water based polyureathane,(blue can).dries fast,1/2 hr.-jeffo
The "quote" selection is not working this morning. Another RCU bug i guess. Any way, is this Minwax available in a spray can?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Laird SS:

Thanks for the tip on the part number. Sadly, my LHS closed his doors last year after 14 years. All I have locally is a Hobbytown.
I will check there anyhow - I do pick up glue and the odd bit of wood from them and he stocks Xoar props for gassers to I can sometimes
get the size I need.

Dan
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Mein Duff

Hopefully I can still find a few cans of Lustercoat out there somewhere...better stock up before they dissapear altogether.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

yes ,the minwax water base poly does come in spray can.-jeffo
p.s. sold at Lowes & Home Depot
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
AmishWarlord

I had a nice silver paint that looked just like polished aluminum when it was dry. Trouble was it wasn't fuel proof and when you hit it with the fuel proof clear coat it lost all it's metallic properties and would just turn into gray paint under the clear coat.

I'll have to test it out again with the Minwax. Maybe the water based paint wont react with the top layer of "shine" of the silver paint.

I'd love to have the 1/4 Scale Ryan I have planes to build turn out like this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76490.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1742708  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Mein Duff

The Ryan STA is a beautifull aircraft...have you considered Flight Metal product?...stick on Alu material
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Mein Duff

Would be great if someone could try out the Miniwax and gve us all a test result !
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
AmishWarlord

Here ya go.

Now this is a test!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7930656
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
abufletcher

My experience and my testings tells me that neither Minwax polycrylic nor polyurethene are truly fuel-PROOF. They are more like fuel-RESISTANT. Unless you wipe down the model thoroughly after each flight and clean it really well between flight sessions (and who does that, right?) eventually it's going to start to gum up.

After testing virtually everything I could find at the local hardware store, I finally found the local equivalent to rustoleum, i.e. paints designed to be used on outdoor jobs like metal gates. These seems to be 100% fuel proof. For my WWI models, my overall fuel-proofing comes from using Nelson's water-based polyurethane with the cross-linker. By the way, fuel WILL slightly "discolor" the finish. I think this is more because the oil in the fuel changes the reflective properties of the surface. Anyway, I've decided it's probably a fairly natural "weathering" effect.

Note that this rustoleum spray doesn't "play well" with all other paints. For example, when I sprayed the clear version of the rustoleum-type paint over the Nelson's PC-10, the PC10 layer cracked and peeled up. As always: TEST TEST TEST.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
xcz5785
My Feedback: (21)

I've used Rustoleum with good results. It will also adhere to covering well if you primer it.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First go to your local home improvement warehouse and find the Preval spray system, also available online.

It is an aerosol spray can that you attach to a special jar which you can fill with any type of paint you wish. Then visit your hobby shop or order online; fuel proof butyrate dope. It comes in just about any color including flats and clear. Fill the Preval jar with dope and a little thinner and spray away. The Preval system is re-usable, simple and easy to use. One can is enough to lay about 2 or 3 coats of paint on your average .40 size plane if you don't get too carried away with spraying heavy coats.

I use this system all of the time for small jobs when I don't want to crank up the compressor and the touch up gun.

I have had good luck with butyrate dope on 1/2A planes using 25% nitro. If using nitro percentages over 15% be sure to let the paint dry for several days before using, especially if the finish is not clear coated. For reasons I don't quite understand, clear butyrate is supposed to be more fuel proof than the color dopes.

Butyrate dope is available online from a variety of online sellers, usually those catering to the control line part of the hobby.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

I Like This Clear..
Its water based it takes some learning to apply though..

Chip
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Mein Duff

The Preval System sounds very interesting..will check it out...
I also picked up a can of Miniwax water based polyurethane and a can of Rustoleum Satin Clear..

I will spray and let dry a few days and test these two out...I am testing some engines also so will subject them to hot exhaust gas .....I only run 15 Nitro...will post results in a week or so..
Not having any luck finding Lustercoat ...to bad
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
TFF

Clear high temp paint from the auto store works ok. The big thing is compatibility with the underneath paint. You got to check.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can anyone tell me if latex paints are fuel resistant/proof? No clear, obviously.

Tower has Lusterkote clear in ample supply as of 5 minutes ago.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Mein Duff

Thanks Firepower ! Awesome, Tower does indeed have Lustrecoat...and in Flat !!...I'll be ordering a few cans to keep on hand.. Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

Firepower,
No Latex paints are not fuel proof, but nelsons water based poly with the crosslinker additive is fuel proof to 20% nitro. I have used the above combo on several glow powered airplanes with good results.

Chip
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can anyone tell me if latex paints are fuel resistant/proof? No clear, obviously.

Latex is not glow fuel resistant at all. It is ok on a gasoline powered plane.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

Latex is not glow fuel resistant at all. It is ok on a gasoline powered plane.
How does a Urathane or oil based paints hold up to glow fuel? What component of glow fuel causes the damage the oils or the nitro?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
AmishWarlord

Must be the nitro since it gets paints are rated for nitro. Also the exhaust has acids in it. This is what rust bearings and maybe eats into the paint over time. Just guessing though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.