Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito 120 R3 for top flite Corsair

Thinking about placing the 120 R3 in the .60 Corsair and swing a large 3 blade prop but after looking at the prop range, it apears that a 14 inch dia. 3 blade will probably be the max. Could get a larger prop useing a OS 95 AX(2) stroke but realy like the sound of the Saito. If I could get away with a 15 inch(3) blade on the Saito that would be my choice.Also looking at the RCV 90 & 120SP engines. Would like to get some feedback from some of youguy's with more experience than I have with this subject. Trying not to cut up the cowl no more than I have to.
    Thanks for your time thoughts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito 120 R3 for top flite Corsair

Can't speak to the Saito but I had an RCV .90 in a Hangar 9 Hellcat and it was on the low end of the power scale. The 1.20 would be a much better choice in the TF Corsair in my opinion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How was your experiance with the RCV 90? Did you purchase in the USA? Was there any over heating problems? Did you us a (3) or (4) blade prop (Vario Prop)? These are some of the issues I am looking to resolve as well. Thanks so very much for your time and information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up my RCV .90SP second hand, athough it was brand new and had never been run. I did not experience any overheating problems but I can't say that I had tons of experience with the engine either. I broke it in on the test stand for about an hour and then put it into the Hellcat for a couple of flights. I was hoping to use it in a scratch built Hellcat but I quickly realized that if it provided only marginal power in the 9 1/2 pound H9 Hellcat there was no way it was going to work in the other one which is two pounds heavier. I tried an APC 15.75" 3-blade as well as an 18" 2-blade on the RCV. The engine tached within 100 RPM of what the book said it should with both props, both high and low end. I had no problems with the engine other than the low power output. It ran fine, hand started easily, and after the break-in did not seem to have any more vibration than any other similar displacement four stroke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the information. The RCV people advise a "scoop" to deflect air over the engine due to heat issues is the reason for asking. Did you have to make any provisions for cooling the engine, other than normal 2 to 1 ratio for air openings?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yea, they reccomend a minimum pitch on the blade of 10. Maybe with a higher pitch on your RCV 90 it might perform better unless you tried that already?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flandrumjr
    Thanks for the information. The RCV people advise a ''scoop'' to deflect air over the engine due to heat issues is the reason for asking. Did you have to make any provisions for cooling the engine, other than normal 2 to 1 ratio for air openings?
    I had the scoop installed per the RCV instructions and did not have overheating issues but, as I said, I only flew the airplane a couple of times with the RCV.

ORIGINAL: flandrumjr
    Oh yea, they reccomend a minimum pitch on the blade of 10. Maybe with a higher pitch on your RCV 90 it might perform better unless you tried that already?
    I believe the 3-blader was a 15.75 x 13 and the 2-blade was an 18x12 as I recall. They were the recommended props in the RCV instructions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Chad. Sounds like the RCV 120 is the likely candidate for the (4) stroke. I am still considering the OS 95ax with a 15 or 16 x 8 x 3. Anythoughts on the OS?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No experience with the 95ax flandrumjr but I've had lots of OS engines and can't remember ever getting a bad one. For just plain user friendliness and reliability the 95ax would probably be a good choice and, IMHO, would be more than enough power for the Corsair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again Chad for your thoughts and time. It may be a little while before I get statrted on the project, but will keep in touch if possible.