Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Kit Cutters cheaper than Precision Cut Kits, why?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Kit Cutters cheaper than Precision Cut Kits, why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im pretty sure ziroli's short kit comes from either PCK or Holman
Old 12-11-2016, 04:52 PM
kgbetal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have just ordered a Ziroli P-47 92 inch from Zirolis own website and they have told me that Precision Cut Kits are going to cut this kit for me (full wood). I hope i get all the parts as i live in New Zealand which is a long way away and i really don't want to be asking for replacement parts!
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Bump.
any recent experiences?

tony
Old 11-29-2017, 03:41 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Any feedback on http://www.lasercutusa.com ?

thanks
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM
kgbetal

I bought a Nick Ziroli P47 1/5 scale from Ziroli giant scale and here is what happened...I was going over seas for 4 months, i live in New Zealand, so i ordered the kit 2 months before i was going on holiday prior to this i got in contact with the company to ask weather they would be able to laser cut and send kit before i left NZ, they said yes no problems. So i ordered giving 2 months lead time, well they f'd me around ALOT I was in contact with them constantly trying to find my kit. The Kit arrived 1 day, (1 day) before I went over seas, if it had gotten there 1 day after, there wouldn't have been any one at the house. NOT happy, wont get another kit from them again.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have purchased a short kit for a Bonanza A36 from Limey Bob over at Laser Design Services with good results. He was johnny on the spot on his shipping time (He cuts to order) and he answers emails. I know he cuts short kits for Ziroli designs. Website: LDS - Laser Design Services - Jet Turbine R/C Trainers and ARF Aircraft, Laser Cutting and Engraving

I have also had several custom projects done by Joey Leach at Indiana Laser Works. It's small part time business run by two R/C pilot/builders Joey Leach and Bob Vogel . They don 't have a website yet but you can connect them by emailing [email protected] .
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM
kgbetal

Hi. Yeah i think that that was the problem with Ziroli giant, they have other kit cutting companies do work for them and they weren't on the ball with there orders to those companies. This made it hard for me to exactly know where my kit was.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM
grh_70

kgbetal,

Are you aware of Laser Cut kits Australia?
NICK ZIROLI | Laser Cut Kits Australia
Old 11-29-2017, 02:56 PM
kgbetal

Hi grh 70. Yeah they were an option but i wanted a cowl, canopy etc from Ziroli as well, so i thought it would be better to order all the stuff through Ziroli. I must acknowledge that the cowl, canopy, lower wing fibreglass section, bomb drop pods, bomb drop mechs, where posted quite fast and arrived ok but i did have to ask for them to sent as a separate package which i payed postage on as well.
My next build is of the Seversky P-35 which is a scratch build off of plans 86inch i think. I have a laser cutter i can use and will get the plans on to computer so i can cut it.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:17 AM
ziggy138

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit cutter

Hi guys, I would like to put my 2 cents in about kit cutters. I would give Balsaworkbench.com a try. I just built his Cloud Dancer 120 short kit. Wood and parts were very good and EVERYTHING fit right to plans. Best part his prices are WAY lower and his service is outstanding. Just ordered another short kit from him, that is how happy I am with his product.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good to hear! Thanks Ziggy!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by ziggy138
Hi guys, I would like to put my 2 cents in about kit cutters. I would give Balsaworkbench.com a try. I just built his Cloud Dancer 120 short kit. Wood and parts were very good and EVERYTHING fit right to plans. Best part his prices are WAY lower and his service is outstanding. Just ordered another short kit from him, that is how happy I am with his product.
I'll second for Balsaworkbench. I just ordered an Ace 4-20 short kit and everything looks good. I'm finishing up my current project so the 4-20 queued as my next project. The fuse is lite-ply laser cut and ribs balsa laser cut. No over burning from the cuts. Everything was packed nicely for shipping and was quick. I would use him again.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

How long does Rob usually take to reply to a message left thru his site?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM
ziggy138

Default Balsaworkbench

Flyer In OKC you will get a quick reply from Rob, 24 hours or same day. He is supper good on answers to any questions you have. Also his sight has plenty of GOOD advise for everyone on loads of topics on model building. I am sure you will enjoy this web sight. He has cut me custom kit, coming in mail today, I hope. NO problems with his work or parts. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have several old fun scale plans (2 bipes and a triplane) calling for the old Ace constant cord foam cores which are hard to find and can be expensive when you do. I not crazy about foam cores I like building up wings. I see he cuts the ribs so I had a question about his set.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:52 AM
ziggy138

Default Ace wings

Go and ask Rob about it, it will not cost you anything to ask. You may find he has the answer you need. I also like build up wings and open frame work planes. I love to work with Stits Lite to cover them. I get great results each time. Don't be bashful, he does not bite. Just type balsaworkbench.com. and look for contact button. What have you to lose? Come on man, go for it. Ken C.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Lazer Works Engraving and Design ( lazer-works.com) did a fine job for me in my latest short kit. He uses quality plywood (5ply) not light ply and the typical junk wood found in ARF's. He gave me good direction on parts that I wanted to modify and delivery was as promised.. Look at his web site and you'll find hundreds of available short kits. He does not provide full kits. I got my standard sheet stock from National Balsa. Good stuff and you can specify different grades of wood for various applications
Old 12-28-2017, 04:22 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Square Nozzle
Lazer Works Engraving and Design ( lazer-works.com) did a fine job for me in my latest short kit. He uses quality plywood (5ply) not light ply and the typical junk wood found in ARF's. He gave me good direction on parts that I wanted to modify and delivery was as promised.. Look at his web site and you'll find hundreds of available short kits. He does not provide full kits. I got my standard sheet stock from National Balsa. Good stuff and you can specify different grades of wood for various applications
LazerWorks is local for me so I'm probably a little biased. Eddie puts a lot of effort into his cut files. I've built several of his kits and have seen a number more flying locally. He sells good stuff.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 AM
ziggy138

Default Kit cutters

Hey guys, each one should check out as many cutters as you can. Pick one with most good or best reviews. It is up to each person to do their home work. I have used both Laser Design and Balsaworkbench kits, both were very good. I tried balsaworkbench for last project due to lower cost. I liked Robs quick replies and help. He does not have a huge selection of kits, but something for everyone. Laser Design does have a HUGE selection and his cost is somewhat higher. He also has way more giant scale plane kits. You should not have a problem with either of these guys.
I just received my next project from balsaworkbench in mail. Well packed and everything came intact. Still looking for plans to get here. Please note that this is the first kit of Sea Dancer that Rob has cut just for me. I hope he is adding it to his selection. He did a lot of custom work to get this kit and all wing ribs to fit the plans. Ordered wood from National Balsa, should be here this Mon. But still looking for Postal Service to deliver plans, 2 weeks late, LOVE the Xmas mail rush !!!!
I will try to due a on line build if I can learn how to upload pictures on web. My computer skill are VERY LIMITED. Hope the get help from local library, if I can get out of my driveway, loads of Lake Affect snow here.
Hope ALL of you readers have a SAFE New Year and supper year ahead for all. Ken C.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:33 AM
LethalGTO

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I will say there are other reasons to avoid PCK other than just the higher price. IMO
Agreed.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM
LethalGTO

Originally Posted by TomCrump
You may want to do a price check with National Balsa. (nationalbalsa.com) I hear good things about them.
I have had nothing but excellent service, quality lumber, and packaging care from them. My first go-to supplier.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:54 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the years I’ve built a number of Ziroli planes and a couple from other plans. I’ve purchased two sets of plans, one to build from and one to cut up. I carefully cut out the parts from the plans and contact glue them to the wood. Then use a band saw to cut them out. I leave a little sanding stock on some parts others are cut to size. With exception of a few errors on the plans every thing fits nicely. No phone calls, no emails and blood pressure remains on line. LOL I buy wood from various places. BUSA is always good. Other woods as required. You can lay out various outlines of available wood on cardboard and put your patterns on them and calculate how much wood you will need of each size. Sounds a bit tedious but it is surely better than the phone fights. I order about 1 1/2 times as much wood as I calculated. The same goes for plans that have a bill of materials. I always order other woods like tri angle stock, dowels, extra AC ply and lite ply and hardwood parts. Some stuff you can get at the home stores but I only go there for emergency materials.

It usualy takes about 30 hours to cut all the parts. I think I did the big B25 in about 40 hours but there was some redesign at the same time. It’s actually fun to cut parts this way....at least I think it is. It’s a small amount of time compared to the build time for sure.

I order cowls and molded parts from the plan supplier. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad piece of hardware this way. Always timely delivery.

Along the way way my son purchased a few cut kits. All were problems, poor delivery of poorly cut kits, missing parts, warped wood, parts did not fit plans, and on and on. He wound up sending all of them back, never to order again.

At one point before the band saw, I made a saw box and used a variable speed jig saw mounted up from the inside. This worked surprisingly well except it was pretty noisy. I used it untill the night I sat on the upturned saw blade. After I got back from the ER I cut the box up for fire wood. Not LOL purchased the bandsaw the next day.

byron
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Bump.
any recent experiences?

tony
I know this is an old thread, and at this point I have purchased several kits from Bob Holman. He doe the best work I have seen. I got my Ziroli Stuka from National Balsa, and it was perfect. All the way around that experience was great. Anything that you can get from these 2 companies I highly recommend.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Bump.
any recent experiences?

tony
I know this is an old thread, and at this point I have purchased several kits from Bob Holman. He doe the best work I have seen. I got my Ziroli Stuka from National Balsa, and it was perfect. All the way around that experience was great. Anything that you can get from these 2 companies I highly recommend.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Greg Wright

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is another place in florida that i was just turned onto from Ziroli. Its called lasercut usa.
I'll find the website and post it up here shortly. You might want to get a quote from Pat.
He seems pretty reasonable .http://lasercutusa.com

Last edited by Greg Wright; 01-20-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.