Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth Build

Guys, I am curious if you would be interested in a full build thread on the new Hangar 9 Tiger Moth similar to the one I did on the P-47. Let me know if this is the right forum for it or if it should be somewhere else.

Thanks,

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
KC5EZZ
My Feedback: (104)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth Build

Please do. A couple of us are on the the waiting list and we are considering other engines besides the EVO.

Thanks

Charlie
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Please do John, the tiger Moth has some very graceful lines and I'm sure you will find a lot of eager interest pilots once you get started! I love to see builds on an airplanes I may want to consider building and flying.

Thank you
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

I'm assuming its an ARF??? Cant imagine H9 would have actually brought out a "full build" kit......
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: loser

I'm assuming its an ARF??? Cant imagine H9 would have actually brought out a ''full build'' kit......
But we can an always hope they start! Building is on the rise, (ask any LHS carrying building supplies) why not cash in by offering an airplane kit for a model not currently in production? I'm sure they must have from previous acquisitions or if not could acquire a lot of appropriate designs suited for kiting with little or no modification required. It could be a big a market as the park flier became and the first one in gets a leg up on the competition. A savy company could go into areas with big scratch building followings like lessor know WWI, Golden Era, or Post WWII civilian and warbirds. Cut it and we will build it. There are a lot of eye catchy designs to choose from. The R/C magazines would be all over them with building articles to get the word out and attract new readers.

I still live in hope Top Flite will bring out a Staggerwing kit since the ARF is so popular. Something in a smaller scale than the ARF would be nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM
carlosmalone
My Feedback: (25)

I'm on the list to get one as well so a build thread would be great. It sure is a good looking moth.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13277.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1751130  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would love to have one of these, but I wish it was a different color scheme. Something military like the British camo and yellow. Too bad all these ARFs could not be released ARC. Then I could just cover it myself.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Guys, I am curious if you would be interested in a full build thread on the new Hangar 9 Tiger Moth similar to the one I did on the P-47. Let me know if this is the right forum for it or if it should be somewhere else.

Thanks,

John
Yes, please! I've got one on order. Do you know the projected delivery date?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
KitBuilder

Woild love a nice big Tiger Moth kit with working gear and all.. Just putterin around the sky doing lazy aerobatics.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
John Redman

To answer a few questions here. The Tiger Moths are on the way and should be in customers hands within the next 30 days.

As for an ARC, you can strip the model in about 20 minutes. Cost to save on covering is so low it isn't worth it from a manufacturer's stand point. We have tried this in the past and threw models away as they did not sell. I think that Top Flight has seen this as well as they did the 1/5th scale Mustang and have not done another one since. It also leaves an issue on how you will paint the fiberglass parts. Modelers just don't have good paint solutions for them, most of our paint manufacturers from eyars past have left the business.

As for building, that part of our hobby is a lost art and I would believe the sky is falling before believing that building is coming back. ARF's and repair parts are what sells. I do not like that but it is a fact across not only our nation, but other nations as well. It is a sad day.

As for a different scheme, I woudl have loved to have had them do the yellow/camoflage scheme. Just not executable on a mass produced model without (1) increasing the cost by a significant amount and (2) changing the fuselage structure to ensure a location to adhere the yellow/camo line to.

So I will be starting this shortly. Stay tuned. For those of you that were not aware of the P-47 build thread I did, it lives here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10906674
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There already ARE nice big tigermoth kits out there.. FYI

To the preson who thinks "building is on the rise" I have some ocean front property in Kansas if you're interested..Cheap!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Tiger Moths began leaving Horizon today, to US dealers participating in the Fast Forward program.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer a few questions here. The Tiger Moths are on the way and should be in customers hands within the next 30 days.

As for an ARC, you can strip the model in about 20 minutes. Cost to save on covering is so low it isn't worth it from a manufacturer's stand point. We have tried this in the past and threw models away as they did not sell. I think that Top Flight has seen this as well as they did the 1/5th scale Mustang and have not done another one since. It also leaves an issue on how you will paint the fiberglass parts. Modelers just don't have good paint solutions for them, most of our paint manufacturers from eyars past have left the business.

As for building, that part of our hobby is a lost art and I would believe the sky is falling before believing that building is coming back. ARF's and repair parts are what sells. I do not like that but it is a fact across not only our nation, but other nations as well. It is a sad day.

As for a different scheme, I woudl have loved to have had them do the yellow/camoflage scheme. Just not executable on a mass produced model without (1) increasing the cost by a significant amount and (2) changing the fuselage structure to ensure a location to adhere the yellow/camo line to.

So I will be starting this shortly. Stay tuned. For those of you that were not aware of the P-47 build thread I did, it lives here.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand completely.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
kljenkin

ORIGINAL: BobH
To the preson who thinks "building is on the rise" I have some ocean front property in Kansas if you're interested..Cheap!
Building may not be on the rise but you guys are keeping the art alive and encouraging guys like me to build, build, build, and scale it up.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

My local hobby shop reports he has seen a slow increase in the number of rc pilots seeking information and making purchases of materials to try their hand at building over the last year. Now are they building from the ground up, modifying an existing ARF, or building from plans or building their own designs he doesn't know. But he is seeing purchases being made. It could be local it could be wide spread but it is happening. Considering the markup on hobby materials the LHS are going to be the most sensitive in following trends, they have to if they want to survive and make a living. Look at the percentage of local shops still in business after 10 years, I'll bet it can't be more than 10% and I would hazzard a guess it is less than 10%.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM
John Redman

It is great to hear there are guys out there trying their hand at building, whether from scratch of modifying an ARF or building an old kit. There will always be those that prefer to make their own over one that is preassembled like the ARF's of today. I truly miss seeing the new creations show up at a club field. That was a fair amount of the love of going to the field on the weekend when I was a kid. You heard a phone call or two about someone finally had xyz model ready for a maiden and a fair amount of the club showed up to see and support. Today ARF's make maidens almost every weekend in a busy club to a point they get lost in the mix at times.

While there are still a few companies bringing "kits" to life (whom I definitely applaud) I doubt we will see any more from teh big names that used to be in the game. Sales dollars just are not there anymore is my belief.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

I must agree at the current level even with a slow increase the demand is not there to recover the cost of developing a kit for the big boys. Now if the demand goes up considerably and with the advantage of laser cutting over the cost of die cutting it could become feasable or you might see the big boys entering into a distribution agreement with smaller companies. A lot would have to do with the cost/benefit of the businesses involved. The main thing you would need is to see a lot of new builders before anything could happen. Face it ARFs are cheap because the labor cheap in the east and it is the availability of cheap ARFs and Park Fliers that will pull in a lot of new people into the hobby. It will be the world economy that will drive the changes in the future.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
kljenkin

I hate all the junk ARFs on eBay and I do not recommend them at all.

Support your local hobby store, even if he has to order your solatex natural from BUSA. We drive them out of business ourselves.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
John Redman

In the world of kit manufacturing die cutting is far lower cost than laser cutting. Laser cutting takes a lot of time and the machines are not cheap, especially when you get a bed large enough to do the job. Die Cutting is the easiest and lowest cost in mass production. For me I have no love of the die cutting experience. Did that enough in my younger years. Laser cutting ensures far more acurate airfoils and a more precise fittign parts count for easier building.

With the huge influx of young people into the hobby in the past 5 years they unfortunately do not have any real love of the creativeness of building and are more of the immediate gratification society. I doubt the economy will have much to do with a change in this arena. You will need to change the position of society as a whole to see a difference.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
carlosmalone
My Feedback: (25)

Ok these are shipping now! I'm ready...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G'day John,
mate while I agree with a lot of what you say I can state with high degree of confidence that builders are coming back in a big way here. I am heavily into the warbird scene and have 6 build projects stacked up. A close mate has 2, 1/4 spit and 1/5 mossie. Scale and warbirds are huge here, those guys are all builders. Kit cutters here are swamped, they can't keep up with demand for laser cut parts to suit the well known plans, Vailly, Holman, Bates et al.

Can't speak for the US and rest of the world.

As they say "If you build it, they will come"

We love build up kits!! Only TF and SIG are offering build up, maybe some in UK, Flair for example.

ARF / ARC will have a place, especially for entry level. But we do want the build kits!

I would suggest the modelling manufacturers & suppliers such as yourself need to start at grass roots level like they do in sports. Get into the schools, get programs in place to teach kids how to build, understand aerodynamics etc. If you teach the kids then you are building your market. Gets them away from X box etc too.

Here is Oz we have the Airforce cadets run by dedicated mostly ex military folk and part of their curriculum with the kids is building and flying RC models as well as the theory behind it all.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers
Peter
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Pete,

I agree with you I can't find a kit cutter in the US that will take an order before the end of the year! That's even with record breaking price increases in the cost of balsa. John has tunnel vision as does a lot of the hobby industry. ARF, BNF, and RTF are still very popular but a lot of the flyers who rode into the hobby on the wave of pre-built airplanes are getting tired of having the same old plane that looks like everyone else's airplane and they want something different. Many show up at the local clubs looking for help to get started in building. We are fortunate to have several good LHS in this area and the owners are telling the same story, building is going up and balsa, ply, and accessories sales are going up.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I do have an ARF, just tool delivery of a H9 1/4 scle Tiger Moth. One of the better ARFs.

My current build list:

TF GS P47, heavily modified - at painting stage
Vailly Tempest 105"
Vailly Yak 3 96"
TF Cessna 182
96" Spit, glass fuz, foam core wings
96" P40, glass fuz, foam core wings

Refurb 90" Spit

Currently flying:
1/4 scale SIG J3 Cub
Vailly 90" Seafury - all build up
JMI P51D 82" glass fuz, build up wings
Flair Astrohog
just retired a 30 year old Pica 65" spit
Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Well I do have an ARF, just tool delivery of a H9 1/4 scle Tiger Moth. One of the better ARFs.
You lucky sod! Is the H9 Moth as pretty in person as she photographs? Give us a quick review Pete!

My current build list:

1937 Ryan SC-M prototype

1938 Ryan SC-W Production model

TF Cessna 182

TF Corsair (redesigned smaller model)

Dornier D-1 biplane so ugly only Dornier could love it!

Assembling materials for the following:

Uravitch Cessna 190

Charles Richard 1/4 scale 1946 Globe Swift

Now flying:

SIG LT40

SIG 1/5th J-3 Cub

Ace R/C monoplane that I don't remember the name of it's a .19 3 channel tail dragger

GWS Beaver foamy

SIG Rascal C

Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 AM
MerlinV

Gosh, I though my build list was unwieldy.

In the order I started them (so far as I can recall)...

Tony Nijhuis Hurricane (62")
Tony Nijhuis Spit Mark 9 (62")
Peter Rake Sopwith Tabloid (Prototype)
Tony Nijhuis Supermarine S6b
Balsa USA Sopwith Pup (1/6th)
Goldberg anniversary Piper Cub
Balsa USA Ne17 (1/6th)
Dave Hurrell BE2c (1/6th)

Cheers,

Hugh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.