Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: US Scale Masters Results 2012

In practice, everyone does fly in front of the same judges. However, in any given round, because there are 4 judge sets, only 1/4" of the pilots see that set of judges. This is what normalization was intended to resolve- I think. Over the course of 4 rounds, all pilots will see all 4 sets of judges, but some might have seen certain sets in the morning when the air was good, or in the afternoon when their engine wouldn't start etc.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been to several qualifiers in the years and at least in Static this normalized scoring is not taken in at this end to well when the amount time spent correcting your plane to the documentation to prove Outline, plus amount of time spent to get the correct color match with the chips or photos of the aircraft your replicating and then redoing parts of your model to improve points by the input taken/given by Static Judges only to have your worked evened out - guess this kinda takes the Fun away[X(] of what seems endless hours spent on your aircraft. Also agree 100% with Art on why would this get sprung on you at the Master`s final without first announcing prior on the USSMA web site?

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There has to be some people that took more pictures. Would like to see them if you were there post them here.

Thank You
    Randy, Enjoying Warbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am willing to give it a try for the flight scores. But I do not like it for the static. Now, to get next years plane done......
    It does NOT have to be GIANT to be scale!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale dail

I am willing to give it a try for the flight scores. But I do not like it for the static. Now, to get next years plane done......
    I agree. Perhaps we should bring that up with Bernie.
    Steve
    Hellcat Brotherhood #1
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #5
    ​Glow Head Brotherhood #17
    Spitfire Brotherhood #144
    Full size airplanes are real, our models are too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pattern began normalizing scores many years ago and I never liked having my posted score based on someone else's performance.
    If I get an exceptional flight score in a round where the first place finisher gets an exceptional score my normalized score is devalued and if the first place finisher has a bad flight I'd receive an inflated normalized score. This makes no difference in a single round but when multiple rounds are used the accumulated inflated or deflated scores can differ from raw score totals and yes placement can be altered.
    I don't believe number manipulation can equalize judging or flight conditions to the degree normalization is intended neutralize.
    We fly different aircraft affected differently by weather conditions that could be considered a handicap with inequitable flight scores also. No don't make several classes to try to neutralize it. Many of us fly what we like and participate regardless.
    It was good to see familiar names here. I've flown pattern the last few years but intend to build a new scale airplane this winter.
    I shall return!
    Jim Hiller
    Spokane WA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12