Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Inspiration Point

ORIGINAL: guamflyer

Chad,* that Sud-Quest is really interesting.. a jet looking thang with a prop..I see out runner back there...hhhhmmmmm

*guamflyer

Go for it guamflyer! You could even run one of the electric contra-prop set ups on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

twist my arm please....go ahead I'll enjoy it ..LOL..I forgot about those contra rotating props that are avaliable now..looking as I finish typing.....I always check this page cause the oddest stuff turns up and more I haven't ever seen.....Good job guys....

SLOPE FAST  -  SOAR DEEP

guamflyer

P-40 bro # 5 and 6
    guamflyer P-40 Bro #5 guamflyer\'\'s Dad #6
    SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guam, this is me "officially" twisting your arm! Let us know as soon as your build thread gets posted so we can follow along!

Here is another to keep the thread going, the kit built "Radial Rocket". This one uses the same Russian radial as can be found in the popular Yak and Sukhoi aerobatic designs. This thing is cool!

Here is a retract equipped version. Don't care for the training wheel up front but it certainly looks good all cleaned up in flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Chad! Yes, I do have impeccable taste !

Thanks for the link too. The Napier looks like it would be a real bear on takeoff at least as far as a model would be concerned.

My brother and I attended an air show in the early 90s that featured Joanne Osterud in her Hyperbipe. As an added bonus, there was a raffle for a free ride with her after the show. My bro had the winning ticket. I didn't get to see the flight as she flew several miles away from the airport but brother said that she did all manner of loops, rolls, stalls, and spins for him. He remarked about her pre-flight bail-out instructions.

He was excited to build a model Hyperbipe after that and purchased a nice three view. He's since left the hobby and so now I have the 3-view.
    John
    I will believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one of them.
    http://movetoamend.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: js3

Thanks Chad! Yes, I do have impeccable taste !

Thanks for the link too. The Napier looks like it would be a real bear on takeoff at least as far as a model would be concerned.

My brother and I attended an air show in the early 90s that featured Joanne Osterud in her Hyperbipe. As an added bonus, there was a raffle for a free ride with her after the show. My bro had the winning ticket. I didn't get to see the flight as she flew several miles away from the airport but brother said that she did all manner of loops, rolls, stalls, and spins for him. He remarked about her pre-flight bail-out instructions.

He was excited to build a model Hyperbipe after that and purchased a nice three view. He's since left the hobby and so now I have the 3-view.
    Cool story John. Probably not a whole bunch of people who can say they've had an aerobatic ride in a Hyperbipe, much less one with Joanne Osterud as the pilot! I think the Hyperbipe is a terrific looking airplane and has a great deal going for it as a scale model. I'm very surprised there are not and have not been more kits/plans offered for the type. I guess not everyone has as good of taste in airplanes as you and I!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad, Thanks for twisting my arm  LOL..  needless to say I Love the Hyperbipe as well..always found it an interesting subject..already pulled the pics of the sud-quest for study..no-one I know has even seen it before.

SLOPE FAST  -  SOAR DEEP

guamflyer

P-40 Bro # 5 and 6
    guamflyer P-40 Bro #5 guamflyer\'\'s Dad #6
    SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hay Chad, I am not much into civil aerobatic aircraft, but why not combine the two concepts.
    Last edited by Otto Kudrna; 01-13-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    How about the Wee Craft Wee Bee? Built and flown in the late 40's. Had a 15 foot wingspan and the pilot lay prone on top of fuse. If you do a search you can see it flying on You Tube. You could actually build a full scale flying model of this. Whoever flew this plane had some serious seeds to be strapped onto the top of it.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Kudrna View Post
    Hay Chad, i am not much into cuvil aerobatic aircraft, but why not combine the two concepts.
    I like it Otto but not as much as a good old fashioned Beech Staggerwing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by John Baligrodzki View Post
    How about the Wee Craft Wee Bee? Built and flown in the late 40's. Had a 15 foot wingspan and the pilot lay prone on top of fuse. If you do a search you can see it flying on You Tube. You could actually build a full scale flying model of this. Whoever flew this plane had some serious seeds to be strapped onto the top of it.
    Hi John, interesting subject. Have to admit that I'd never really considered a model of it. A 1:1 scale model would indeed be relatively simple but you may need to relieve a clothing store of one of their manequins for a pilot!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here's another relatively obscure bird I've added to my "someday" list.

FAF C-3603

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lately, I've "discovered" early Golden Age aircraft. Not the WACOs, Cubs, Stearmans and Stinsons that come to mind readily, but their more obscure predessors.

As a couple of you may know, The Ryan Brougham has grabbed my attention. I'm in the process of building one from the attached 3 views.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate%201.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	876.6 KB 
ID:	1955359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	589.0 KB 
ID:	1955360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2067508.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	1955361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5684693026_012d085a0b_o.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	1955362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_DSCF3739.jpg 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	1955363  

Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
    I here you Abu! I get the occassional "evil eye" from warbird fanatics when I bring out my bright red Hellcat and it's still military despite the non-standard color. Wouldn't stop me though!
    I know that feeling as well. And to be such supposed fanatic's but not appreciate the full envelope of the era is kind of hypocritical.

Name:	Snapshot - 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	1955404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair92Color.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	1955405  
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
    Some neat ideas being thrown around here! The Magni-Vale sorta remindes me of another very attractive (and hyphenated!) racer, the Nieuport-Delage "Sesquiplane".

I wish I had the knowledge and skills to scratch build this plane! If only I knew how to use CAD.
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by drube View Post
    If only I knew how to use CAD.
    You don't need CAD. No one NEEDS CAD to scratch-build a one-off model. All you need is a good set of 3-views. Personally, I can't understand the guys who first build a model completely in CAD (especially 3D CAD) and then build the model all over again for real. I can see how this is useful in a commercial sense, for example, for producing a kit, but if all you want to do is make a model for yourself, modeling first in CAD is way overkill, especially for a relatively simple aircraft like this one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My pick for the obscure WW2 fighter I'd like to build is the Caudron Renault C714.

What I see is pattern model proportions, large cowl with large air inlets/outlets
    (the original had an air cooled V-12), a long nose for none of the usual CG problems
    with WW2 fighters & simple retracts with a wide track.

John.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Finnish-C_714.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	1955553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caudron%20C_714%20Cyclone_3-view.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	1955554

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    js3- I have Keith Rider nose bowls in 1/4 for 'Firecracker' and 'Jackrabbit'. The canopy is flat wrap for 'Firecracker' and a 2 liter soda bottle has a nice shape for the 'Jackrabbit'.
    I have an IK-3 almost ready for paint. You don't see it much and it was a slightly better performer than the early ME 109.

Name:	NoX_DB601T.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1955616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02421.JPG 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	1955617

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    100% agree. In affect you build the whole model twice. I think that some people just consider it a part of the challange. For a one-of it is an absolute waste of time unless it is a part of your love of the hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Inspiration Point

Well this doesn't match your original criteria as I am actually building one now but it was inspired by a book in the school library 42 years ago. Does that count?

In grade school our library had a book called Airplanes of the World by Douglas Rolfe and Alexis Dawydoff, Simon and Schuster c 1952, 1953, 1954, 1961 and 1962. It was a picture book of plane sketches with a couple lines of text. Chapters were a few pages of text which defined an era of flight before the sketches. I found a copy many years later and realized the impact on me it made (same as Dr. Stanglelove and the Blue Max). Some of the pictures are inaccurate or lacking in detail and there are some errors in the text (clear to me now I have learned so much). But the feel and inspiration still holds. Here is one image which stayed with me and is now inspiring my 1/6 Nieuport 16 build.

Stephen

Name:	Airplanes of the World-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	1956484  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
    My pick for the obscure WW2 fighter I'd like to build is the Caudron Renault C714.

What I see is pattern model proportions, ...
    Not much good as a fighter, apparently. But looks cool.
    I recall someone making one in a somewhat unusual wood/foam sheet construction method.

.-.-.-.-.
    I just stumbled upon a Czechoslovakian mid-1930s fighter ptototype that please my eyes: Praga E-45

Name:	Praga_E45-1.gif 
Views:	15 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	2044293 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Praga_e45-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	2044294

(a few more photos at http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww1/e45.html )

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I love war weary aircraft, but the air racers of the late 40's and 50's were what kept the love for planes like the P-51 alive because the public could see them flying. What about this one. Here is history crossing model airplanes, when the P-51 crashed at the air races it crashed into the house next door to this guy, probably the best CL stunt guy ever, https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/WerwageBill.pdf
    I built a Beguine model from the Top Flite P-51B kit that came out in 1976. I had met a crew member from the full size Beguine and he had some pics that I was able to copy for documentation. Another modeler turned on his radio on the first flight shooting me down. I still have some surviving pieces in the shop.
    Airacobra Brotherhood #7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I just stumbled upon a Czechoslovakian mid-1930s fighter ptototype that please my eyes: Praga E-45

Name:	Praga_E45-1.gif 
Views:	15 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	2044293 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Praga_e45-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	2044294
    That is one fine looking machine perttime and totally new to me. Thanks for sharing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by warbird51 View Post
    I built a Beguine model from the Top Flite P-51B kit that came out in 1976. I had met a crew member from the full size Beguine and he had some pics that I was able to copy for documentation. Another modeler turned on his radio on the first flight shooting me down. I still have some surviving pieces in the shop.
    Hi Wayne! Thanks for checking in. Sorry to hear about the demise of your "Bequine" on its first flight, bummer. The only time I can remember ever being shot down was while flying a TF .60 size Corsair. And that one was my fault becuase I changed crystals in the radio and forgot to change the sticker on the TX to reflect the new frequency. Needless to say I grabbed the wrong frequency pin and didn't realize my mistake until AFTER the inevitable happened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I just discovered this one recently. The Mitsubishi A5M3. Other than the elliptical surfaces it should make a fairly simple model without retracts.

Then another favorite of mine is the Luscombe Silvaire

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53477c69bf76cbf10409afc73bf2501f5fef47c1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	2044897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	2044898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sqil9j.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	2044900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	2044899
    John
    I will believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one of them.
    http://movetoamend.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here are some unusual birds that I made into 'reality' as models! The 1921 Vampyr was the very first aircraft to be built with a 'D' tube wing! Again... it was the first! All subsequent aircraft that used this style of construction owe a debt of gratitude to this modest design. The 1922 version had warperons for roll control. I built them but they were too stiff. I'm still working to solve the problem. I don't think anyone has ever modeled the 'warperon' version before. The next is a 1926 RRG Prufling. It was a 'secondary' trainer. The third is a 1932 BS2 'Balestruccio' Italian sailplane. I tried to duplicate full scale construction arrangements as much as possible as you can see in the photos. Compare them with originals!

Name:	Vampyr Flying1.jpg 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	2045741 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prufling flying1.jpg 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	2045742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balestruccio Flying1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	2045743

Maybe folks will be inspired to build more vintage sailplane models!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234