Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Rise of Flight?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Rise of Flight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rise of Flight?

So who here plays Rise of Flight and what's your opinion about it? I've just been watching YouTube videos and the aircraft seem very well researched. The flight physics looks a little wonky, but I could deal with that. What's the deal with this game? Do you get everyone on one CD or do you have to buy and add individual aircraft?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
abufletcher

Default RE: Rise of Flight?

Ah. I see that each aircraft is an add-on, for about $5 bucks.

http://riseofflight.com/en/store

I have to say I'd be awfully tempted by this game IF I had a Windows based PC...which I don't.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Canukk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is actually a very good and realistic sim.

It is not easy to shoot something down at all.

If you do get it make sure you read all about the stick adjustments, sort of like expo and also get a feedback stick as there is no way to trim for level flight with a standard spring loaded stick. Just like the real thing.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 PM
ARUP

A 'down' side is that your have to be on internet to play if I understand it correctly. It isn't self contained like 'Over Flanders Fields' (Microsoft based) or First Eagles. I think the graphics in ROF are much better than OFF. First Eagles has really nice graphics.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM
valleyk

I wanted this sim bad but my wife convinced me to spend the money on an expensive GTM model kit then spend it on a expensive gaming computer. She told me people would appreciate more seeing your model fly then showing off a new computer game. I guess she was right but I’m still going to get this sim.They have a great historic skins library to browse by and get some ideas on future builds http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=159
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: valleyk
I wanted this sim bad but my wife convinced me to spend the money on an expensive GTM model kit then spend it on a expensive gaming computer.
I agree with your wife on this. The game itself is only about $40 and then add many another $50 or so for some neat aircraft sims. But unless you already have a hot Window's based PC (which I don't) that GTM model will be cheaper! Somehow, though, I suspect my wife won't buy that argument.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 PM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

They do offer the sim free (not a Demo) with 2 planes (Spad 13 & Albatros DVa kinda full version you can play full campaigns,missions and if you wanted to just do a instant Dogfight in flynow mode - If you wanted different allied-axis fighters you buy them BUT just the 2 will get you the feel of the game AND yes the graphic-outline of the planes are Very historic as in detail and as the campaigns/such worth giving it a shot for free plus the updates are too Here`s the site http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en Sim download: http://www.riseofflightdemo.com/ROF_...ient_1026b.zip or http://www.riseofflightdemo2.com/ROF...ient_1026b.zip (check 1st http-site for activation code)

Yep I did buy the Nieuport 11 Awsome flight model!

Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the game and play once in a while. Like any sim if your not on it regularly the other aces will hand you your ***** on a plate. I like the game and the IL2 series for their accurate representations of the planes they research. There are other contributors that create skins for the planes that are not in the game which can be downloaded and played for free. Bottom line is I use the games for color scheme inspiration when I think of a model project. Think of them as a living reference book you can play and interact with. You dont have to play the game to see all of the models. There is historical info and 360 views. Then you can go fly it!
I paid $20 for my new copy of ROF.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 AM
nytjadens

In a word... Awesome! I am running mine on a iMac quad core using bootcamp and Windows 7.

ST
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
eagledancer

love the game, very challenging to say the least! does require a very good computer with real good graphics card. rudder pedals good joystick are really needed.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Airwarrior

I love the game. It can be expensive, but you really don't need to purchase very many planes. Also, it's smart to catch them when they're doing big sales. Right now everything is 50% off in their online store, so now would be a good time to pick up the game and a few of the more important machines if you are interested.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Airwarrior

I love the game. It can be expensive, but you really don't need to purchase very many planes. Also, it's smart to catch them when they're doing big sales. Right now everything is 50% off in their online store, so now would be a good time to pick up the game and a few of the more important machines if you are interested.
Exactly!! Other than a good cpu/graphics card you can play for free. Can`t say anymore than it is a Very well Historic and well run sim for WW1 buffs.
Jim
Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
abufletcher

I'd need to get my Mac set up with bootcamp (and buy a copy of Windows).
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a good (newer PC) with a good graphica card, go for it! This sim is superbly done and is always being updated and maintained, although I must admit, it's become a little more involved over time, the airplanes details, sounds, scenery and above all the model damaging is just incredible, everything about it makes it a Top Dog!
It takes many hours of serious dog fighting to become just a barely average pilot during dog fights, lifespan is very short indeed!
Contrary to what you might hear, you can play it offline too, no problems, only a few things will be missing regarding the campaign you're fighting on, not a deal breakerk.
I purchase my game at a store and it offered at the time a few airplanes for free. What I did was to buy more airplanes when the went on sale, and this happens quite often, then it's the time to load your hangar for a few bucks.
This is the only sim that has no major problems from the get go. Mine never froze, never hanged, it runs smooth as silk, If you're into airplanes, this one is a must have.
But I'll be honest with you, the sim that I always go back to is Microsoft Flightsim X with plenty of addons, when I get bored with it, then I go to the WWI war sims. Haven't tried the WWII Wings of Dover, I believe the name is, heard it's got too many unresolved issues.
Rise of Flight is a must have, on all aspects.