Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Resaonably priced 60 size corsair retracts

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Resaonably priced 60 size corsair retracts

Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resaonably priced 60 size corsair retracts

Are they out there?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Resaonably priced 60 size corsair retracts

What's your definition of "reasonably priced"?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

This reminds me of the story about buying hay. You can get two levels of quality and price . That which is waiting for a horse to eat and that which has been through the horse. The same goes for parts. Especially landing gear, the most maintenance demanding part on your plane. Robart retracts are good quality and should serve you well for a .60 size plane. There are others that are better quality but will cost more. Or you can choose to buy what has been through the horse. Your choice.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with the Robart gear, good quality, reasonable price. My son and i just bought .60 size Spitfire kits and we plan to use Robart.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Edwin

Robart makes pretty good gear. The only gear from them I hate is the 615 corsair retracts. I used them in my TF gold edition corsair on a reasonably smooth grass runway. Was always bending the links, there are too many set screws that were always loosening up and you had to feather it in pretty good to keep from damaging them. I know, others absolutely love them, I'm not one of them. I will go with wingspan retracts next time I need something. http://www.wingspanretracts.com/Rotating_Retracts Robarts other retracts are no problem, I've used many of them along with spring-air. But spring-air doesnt do corsair retracts. I'm also using electric retracts in future builds.
Edwin
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
KitBuilder

I realize you get what you pay for... but I'll just have to keep saving... this plane along with the DR1 are what I've wanted to model forever.... and im planning to start a BUSA 1/4 DR1 next Fall... Just that rotation on the way up makes them so expensive...
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have, or have had, several .60-.90 size warbirds that use rotating gear and from that experience, plus what I've read here in these forums, the Sierra Precision gear would be my first choice. I have a set of those which will be going in my current Hellcat build. I've also had good luck with the Robart gear but others have reported issues with them and I can certainly see where the Robarts may be found lacking. When comparing the two there is no comparison really. Regarding electric retracts I'm still very much unimpressed with what I've seen although the Lado rotaters seem to have had at least a modicum of trouble free installations. I like my pneumatics and have no problems with them so will stick with them for the time being. Yes the Sierras are probably the most expensive option initially but I believe are more than worth it unless you enjoy making repairs and/or being grounded due to gear that are not dependable. My .02 cents anyway.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Edwin

Just to give you an idea of what can happen with the robarts, I blame the retracts for the loss of my corsair. I know a lot of guys are saying, whaat? They collapsed so often that I had to repair the cowl mounts many many times. Finally one of those times I missed something. While in flight, the cowl breaks loose and bangs the back of the prop busting off one blade. I kill the engine, deploy the gear and one strut just falls to the ground. Crap, bad to worse. I'm only 50' up and dive for the runway, by then I'm too slow and the plane stalls. Any of you that know corsairs know the stall is particularly nasty. No recovery altitude and slams into the ground. However, I'm planning a meister corsair build in the future and have a GT-80 and robart giant scale rotators for it. Those gear are good and robust. Its only the 615 out of the whole robart line up that I dont like. Like Chad says, spend the money on good gear. Theres nothing worse than dealing with retract problems when you go flying. It puts a damper on the day.
Edwin