Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

RAF RE8 Plan RM358

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

RAF RE8 Plan RM358

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul, I'm happy to hear that differential did the trick, and even happier that your beautiful model is flying well now.

DeHavilland, in the 1920s, introduced a method of aileron actuation that resulted in almost all up aileron, very little down, and no down at all at the extremes. Photos show how it was done...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DH differential aileron movement diagram.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2030868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DH.53 Humming Bird G-EBHX 12 aileron at neutral, shows differential.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2030869  
Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking model! And we see so few WWI 2-seaters!!! As for the funky turn...well part of that is just the funky ways the originals flew. I experienced much the same thing with my scale (high) dihedral SE5a. The ailerons had almost no effect. Particularly on turns to the right. Once I figured that I really needed to turn with the rudder instead of the ailerons, it became much more manageable. And, yes, a "boot-full" of rudder sends it into a dive. But that's OK when you're expecting it and remember to always add elevator while turning.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

DeHavilland, in the 1920s, introduced a method of aileron actuation that resulted in almost all up aileron, very little down, and no down at all at the extremes. Photos show how it was done...
More sophisticated transmitters can duplicate the clever aileron differential DeHavilland achieved in the 20's via the 'point mixing' function.

Of course, Sir Geoffrey didn't have computers at his disposal, just elegant mechanical solutions typical of the era.

Welcome back Abu.

John.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 AM
TFF

We have been copying DeHavilland for a long time with our servo setups. Most full size still use DeHavilland's setup packaged a little different. That DeHavilland would be the perfect plane for people who seem to have to keep their servos exposed.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:53 PM
abufletcher

Imagine the work though to create the flush servo wheel.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 AM
TFF

Exposed servos; no scale detail too big to miss.