Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Etching Parts in Brass

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Etching Parts in Brass

Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Etching Parts in Brass

Wondering if anybody can recommend an home use etching system for making multiple brass fitting for a 1/3 scale biplane project coming up?

Or is there a company out there that could help?

Thanks, Eric
Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
TFF

Default RE: Etching Parts in Brass

I have eyed the MicroMark. Watching videos on Youtube the only thing special with the process is the film/negative to the piece. The chemicals can be bought much cheaper. I will probably buy a MicroMark one just to get a handle on it but I think you can resupply it locally. An art supply may have the same thing.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What plane is it? Are they mostly flat fittings? Mick Reeves may something that you can use.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
gabriel voisin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eric,
what exactly do you need? (picture)

greetings Matz
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Mein Duff

I will be building a Roland D.VI from a short kit....
I'm not sure what I will need concerning fittings...need to examine teh plans more closely.
But in any case I would like to be able to make my own fittings and attachment pices for any other projects I run into.
I'm getting weary of doing lots off hard hand work and my arthritus isn't too happy either.
I have excellent graphic and technical drawing skills so no problem rendering what I need.
Could be that laser or water jet cutting would work just as well for smaller series.... just want to explore the possibilities that are out there.

Thanks for you input gents, Eric
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
gabriel voisin

Eric,
do you want to build scale as the original fittings?

Matz
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Mein Duff

That is always my goal as a scale builder.. trying to get as close as possible to actuall dimensions and thicknesses especially if visible from the outside while still maintaing structural integrity....and practical for loads it might bear.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
abufletcher

I'm certain that there is a company somewhere that would do the job for less than the cost of chemicals, at least at the MicroMark price. Seems to me (because I think I've posted on this topic as well) that there was a company in Europe (Germany, Switzerland?) that looked promising. Now if I could only remember!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Teus

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Now if I could only remember!
I think you meant this one Don: [link=http://www.saemann-aetztechnik.de/index.html]Seamann Etztechnik[/link]

I myself was also planning to do some brass etching for one of my projects. I bought and build all materials but never used it until now due to change of plan, but still have plans to do.

I bought the [link=http://www.eijlander.nl/ET20-Etsbak-2l-+-Pomp-+-Verwarming-300w-a-307487-3118.html]etch tank[/link] in the photo below incl. the heather and pump. This tank has a capacity of 2 liter and measures 350 x 230 x 30mm internal. The UV light box I made from an old HP printer and used the internal of a second hand facial tanner to build in. This works perfect incl. the timer from the tanner. With this system I planned to use 0.5 and 0.8mm brass sheet with a positive layer on it. First I tried the positive layer with a spray can but that does not work for me. Next try should be the positive sheets from Seamann but until now never did a try again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93825.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1867147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54477.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1867148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78091.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1867149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44777.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1867150  
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 AM
ARUP

Since you have the skills contact a water jet cutter and ask how they want the artwork laid out. Make the parts in mild steel. I have the Kiger Roland plans. Most of the fittings are from sheet stock. Just a few, like the ball joint strut fittings, will require hand or other type of fabrication.