Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

pilots that maiden/fly other people’s planes

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

pilots that maiden/fly other people’s planes

Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: pilots that maiden/fly other people’s planes

I don't maiden my own planes, the last one I bought and made my buddy maiden he loved it.
He said none of his planes can knife edge like this one. It is a 71" AJ Slick from 3D Hobby Shop. Sweet bird
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM
spd101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best= Kadet LT-40 with a thunder tiger 42 2 stroke. Worst= Lanier 40 size corsair with a Saito 72
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM
CanDo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best was a Kadet Sr, my worst was a 40 size trainer with a warped wing. With a Mode 2 radio, I had the right stick in the 10 o'clock position to keep it flying straight and level, but I got it back in one piece! A friend friend did the inspection, then handed the radio to me. Lesson learned, do the inspections yourself!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to maiden a lot of other peoples planes but gave it up. My scariest was one of my own. It was a Simatar with a ringed OS .60 two stroke.  Well I and another friend were the only 2 at the field so and we both were very in experienced flyers and I had just bought this thing at an auction in Shomburg Ill. for $200 .... Well to make a long story short, While standing behind the plane I took off to the west, This thing was going like a "BAT OUT OF HELL" compared to my 60 trainer.  Maid a left crosswind turn and in 3 seconds desided to turn down wind before it got out of sight. Well on down wind it desided to do 3 rolls pitch straight down  and did 2 more rolls and buried it's self in the freshly plowed field. $200 and less then 30 seconds of flight time. The Hole it maid was deeper than my elbow to the tip of my fingers when I got hold of the front of the spinner to yank it out of it's grave.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My favorite, Yellow Aircraft P-47 w/ a G-45. I had it on the deck flying it like I stole it on the first flight. It was built right and straight.
My worst, 1/4 scale Pitts S-2 Not sure what make or engine anymore but I remember it was the worst tail heavy plane I have ever flown. We balanced it at the field at where he had it marked. I did manage to get it back on the ground w/ only minor damage. Found out later he MARKED IT WRONG! It took three pounds of weight in the nose for balance. He brought it back a month later and wanted me to try it again. I said no way, so he sold it.
I still test fly a lot of birds, I'm just leery of a few guy's stuff.
I don't have a problem test flying as one day I had three. I got to fly all day and never unpacked my stuff
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: edp
It took three pounds of weight in the nose for balance.
Really? It was that far off and you couldn't tell?

I maiden all my planes and would never ask someone else to do it.

rrragman

Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before flying anyone else's plane I always do a thorough preflight and control check....it's saved a couple of disasters....

Best maiden...H9 Pawnee. I normally do a taxi test to get a feel for the ground handling, then one or more short hops (up and down withing the length of the runway) a couple feet up to see if the trim and balance are good. The Pawnee was up on it main gear trundling along straight as an arrow with no imput from me, so a touch of up elevator and it levitated upwards perfectly trimmed..

Worst....A SPAD....the whole airplane twists so much that it was impossible to trim out...but somehow it flew, and was certainly good enough for combat where straight and level flight is undesireable.

Most exciting maiden (deserves an honorable mention)...my very first turbine flight 10 years ago. Very expensive (at the time) plane, not mine, and it loses a wheel on takeoff (hence the preflight checks I now do). I got it up okay, and flew it around to burn off the 6 lbs of fuel it was carrying. Landing jets is by far the hardest part, and here I was for my first time, with a new plane and only 2 wheels. Somehow -and I don't know how- I got it in a very stable nose high approach with very little forward airspeed and flopped it down at the edge of the runway...It rolled about a foot. I have never been able to duplicate that.....
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank god for all experienced pilots willing to maidenflight a new unflown plane.after all these years I will ask the best pilot in our club to go over my work andask him to take the first flight.to be fair I fly it after he trims it out and nerves improve and I usually fly and and contine on my own.also I have maidened many on my own.but like I said sometimes I just very happy when a better pilot takes my pride and joy on its first flight. Thanks to those who do it as it can be easy or very frustrating.I"ll do a simple trainer but thats it.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The most fun on a Maiden lately has to be the older model Hangar 9 Taylorcraft my flying buddy had been hiding out forever and finally decided to put it in the air. I would swear that after I gave the little G26 a little throttle, the plane took off and nearly flew by itself. I was just kinda along for the sweet ride. I'm still trying to get him to sell me that plane.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best non trainer, Goldberg Ulitimate. Worst Spad or Spad Pizza box.