Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
I had thoughts of building the box kite big enough for a 20cc gas engine. Yikes!!!
LoL, that would be about 85-90% then.... you could run faster than they fly with all that drag off the rigging.... they have some youtube videos of some very nicely built replicas.... ailerons were PULL DOWN! only ; they drooped down under their own weight without airflow over them, imagine that

John M,
Old 06-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the Dragonfly. This would be a challenge.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dh90a_colinhunter.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	2099897  
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM
stevegauth30

Ive always really liked the Dragonfly. Cool plane.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I always loved the Dragonfly and the d88 Comet too!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM
darpilot

Hi Robert Ive been following your build of the Pitts from day one and and admire your skill and tenacity.....I check daily waiting for the Maiden ? Any updates ?

Doug
Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darpilot
Hi Robert Ive been following your build of the Pitts from day one and and admire your skill and tenacity.....I check daily waiting for the Maiden ? Any updates ?

Doug
Welcome to the thread and thank you!
Technically the maiden has been done. I am trying to get back out and do an actual flight. After the maiden I had to add 1-1/2lb to the nose and 2oz to the right wing. Going out tomorrow so well see.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
acerc

I finally made it out today for another maiden flight. I consider the first few flight's the maiden as well because of the changes being made to the airframe such as adding weight of which changes the flight characteristics. So, I arrived this morning in high spirits of another flight. Only to have them squashed like a bug. Flip after flip of the prop yielded the engine to being so flooded gas was dripping out of the cowl. After checking as much as I could there at the field I finally conceded to packing it up. After arriving home I unloaded the plane from the trailer, removed the prop and cowl. Everything was plugged in so I removed the plugs, they were still wet with fuel. I dried the plugs, snapped them into the caps, turned everything on, and flipped. Arggghhh, no fire! What the hadez, I thought to myself and comensed to checking the electronics via a tester. I had power all the way up to the ign module. Now, being as there has been nothing that would have caused the module to just go out I was getting pretty angry by this point. Deciding to sit and have a smoke whilst cooling the head sounded good, about the time I reached for the smokes a light went off. OMG, really, could it be that? Shiet! Remember when I had to remove the tele module to re-download the program on my LT? Well, when I re-installed it into the airframe I reversed the harness for the rpm. The harness is modified at the module end but normal at the other and by reversing it I essentially cut power to the module.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's all folk's! Will try again tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Melchizedek

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Best wishes for tomorrow.

Kevin
Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 PM
stevegauth30

well, at least it was an easy fix. It will fire right up tomorrow and fly like the dickens. Or was it chickens? either way, im sure every flight will get more and more enjoyable.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
acerc

Thanks guys. This one has a few more bells and whistles which lends to more headaches but I'm sure it is par for the course. I am sure sooner or later all the bugs will be worked out and I can begin to enjoy the ride. Sooner would be nicer but I would rather it all be right and true.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Robert Robert Robert LOL
Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by mrdhud
Robert Robert Robert LOL
More like, idiot idiot idiot!! lol
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 PM
stevegauth30

ah, give yourself some credit. it happens.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 AM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

I hate when that happens. Especially when the field is an hour away. The good thing is you found the problem. Hope you have a better day today.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing by now Robert, you must know how Charlie Brown feels when Lucy pulls away the football at the very last moment!

Frustrating to say the least. You know what they say, "If you're not making any mistakes, then you're probably not doing anything!"
You're certainly gettin' more accomplished than I have been lately Just keep on keeping on!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
stevegauth30

no flight report yet? hes not online either. could mean hes flying the @#$% out of it. I hope.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hard choice to make talking to us or fly his new airplane, I think we would all make the same choice in his shoes!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM
stevegauth30

"us" who?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM
acerc

Ok guys, here's the flight report. But first the what was done since the last one, 1-1/2lbs added to the nose, 2oz added to the right wing, a tad more air in tires. Ok! It went much better today, the engine started right up, and with a tad more air in the tires it rolls much easier. Then the roll out, tail wheel still not what I want, manageable but not absolute control. The take-off was far better, it did not want to balloon up or roll right like before. Took two circles to trim it out and minimal at that but will play with the weight a little more to get closer to neutral input. Landing approach was a little hot but like last time, maybe not quite as bad, the hands were having at it so it was get it down now. Roll out looked good initially but then it appeared to take a bow. Just before entering the pavement I could tell something gave with the gear so I killed it there.
Needless to say I did not get to a second flight of which I really wanted to do. So I loaded it up and took it to the friends garage. Turns out the springs I bought from Ace Hardware stretched, pieces of junk they were. So I ran home and got the bungee that came with the kit went back and wrapped it up real well. While having it open I also moved the nose weight further forward and added 2 more ounces to the right wing.
I am very happy with the flight today, it felt more like a Pitts and was much more controllable in pitch. I do need to get a higher pitched blade as the one on it is a power house but very slow in flight.
I can't wait to get back out Friday and get a couple more flights in. Really looking forward to doing some rolls, loops, flat spins, and cranking on some smoke. But the wringing out the bugs come first, hopefully today was the last of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q8j...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 PM
John_M_

Well done Ace!... she took off real nice this time... hot landings are better than too slow, you definitely don't want a tip stall at this stage... you'll get her dialed in, just take your time.

Her knees gave way under all that weight, lol... you'll need to get you some automotive rear brake return springs, you won't stretch those easily ... to bad you don't have a aircraft surplus shop local to you, you can get all types of high quality springs there.

John M,
Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Rob, looks and sounds great!! You'll have those kinks worked out in no time...easy-peasey. Lol. Keep up the great work. She's a beauty!!!

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by squirrly
Hey Rob, looks and sounds great!! You'll have those kinks worked out in no time...easy-peasey. Lol. Keep up the great work. She's a beauty!!!

Jeff
Thank you Jeff!
And lucky for you I can pass those worked out kinks along to yours. I have already pulled the springs and did the bungee wrap. If I find a source for better springs I may change mine back and see. If done in time I will switch yours back to springs as well. But for now you and I have bungee's. Also with the addition of 1-1/2lbs of nose weight you may want to consider changing your battery location to under the tanks, just a thought. Normally I don't mind the weight but with this one coming in at 49lbs I really did not like adding more to it but had no choice without breaking out a saw.

Last edited by acerc; 06-09-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
you need to get you some automotive rear brake return springs, you won't stretch those easily

John M,
Thanks John and that's a fine idea, I may pay NAPA a visit this weekend. Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM
John_M_

with this one coming in at 49lbs I really did not like adding more to it but had no choice without breaking out a saw.
Yeah, but 12 lb's of that is in the engine alone, so she's really not over weight at all .

Thanks John and that's a fine idea, I may pay NAPA a visit this weekend. Thanks
Oh, I would be very surprise if you can stretch those rear brake drum return springs... I use a special tool to install those bas-tards (springs not used much anymore on the later cars though)... they have plenty of resilience... as long as there are blocks to stop over travel of the articulating landing gear arms, shouldn't be an issue.

John M,
Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM
stevegauth30

looks dang good in the air though. (and on the ground too. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.