Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:24 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sun is going down. No the horizon is moving up As long as you are enjoying the ride, go for it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:24 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Balancing an airplane is like setting up expos on a computerized radio everybody does it a little different according to airplane type, abilities, and preferences. What works for you is the right answer! I hope the hotel is better too! I have seen a lot rental cabins that would have been condemned anywhere else but in tourist destination.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Be safe out there Ace, that's a long drive to Texas... my long distance driving days are over due to my eye condition, but when I did drive out of town, I had some, lets say interesting experiences at the Red Roof Inn hotel in palm springs... definitely not my recommendation if you ever pass through that area.... hope the hotels are better out where you're staying.

John M,
Old 07-01-2015, 12:22 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

My son lived in McPherson, KS for awhile and the locals referred to their local Red Roof Inn as the Red Roach Inn. It was diffidently worth the extra to stay at the Holiday Inn Express across the road!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made it to the Hotel and surprisingly it is very nice and very clean. But, the next trip will be in my own room as that is what I have grown accustom to, having always had a travel trailer.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by drac1
What makes you think it is tail heavy?
Because I know these things, see post 5070, I think.

Last edited by acerc; 07-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Because I know these things, see post 5070, I think.
This is the way I see it, which is not too say that I'm saying others are wrong, like has been said everyone has different ideas on things. Not arguing, just my opinion.

I don't agree with the tail heavy thing even though it is balanced. As the plane slows, lift is reduced which requires a higher AOA to maintain height. This will result in the tail sitting low.
If the CG is correct, the attitude or decalage, will be right when at normal flying speed and it will look right.

My experience has shown me that generally if a plane climbs/descends when power is increased/decreased, it is the incidence that causes it to. Also, when the plane is slow as on finals, if a lot of power is added during an aborted landing, because the wing has a higher AOA it will climb anyway.

As I said, just my opinion and not arguing.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drac1
This is the way I see it, which is not too say that I'm saying others are wrong, like has been said everyone has different ideas on things. Not arguing, just my opinion.

I don't agree with the tail heavy thing even though it is balanced. As the plane slows, lift is reduced which requires a higher AOA to maintain height. This will result in the tail sitting low.
If the CG is correct, the attitude or decalage, will be right when at normal flying speed and it will look right.

My experience has shown me that generally if a plane climbs/descends when power is increased/decreased, it is the incidence that causes it to. Also, when the plane is slow as on finals, if a lot of power is added during an aborted landing, because the wing has a higher AOA it will climb anyway.

As I said, just my opinion and not arguing.
When you say "If the CG is correct, the attitude or decalage, will be right when at normal flying speed and it will look right." ...... generally speaking I think that is correct. But there are many locations of CG which may be considered correct - it all depends on what is expected flight wise out of the model. I tend to agree with what Ace said because of an experience I once had with a 1/3 scale Godfrey Laser 200. It was design wise set up for aerobatics, especially 3D stuff. The CG called for by the designer was on the wing tube........but every time I came across the fence for landing the tail end dipped lower than I was comfortable with. I moved the CG ahead a couple of inches and the Laser then came across the fence for landing and remained level........Just what I wanted. It still flew all the "on the wing" aerobatics very well but I suspect it suffered just a little bit on some of the 3D maneuvers. I ended up not liking 3D flying so that didn't matter much to me.

So much of the time on these discussions, I think much is dependent on one's perspective and how one relates to the actual flying of the model.

All in all, an interesting discussion.

Cheers,
Art

Last edited by R/C Art; 07-02-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM
acerc

Ok guys, I think the matter of CofG and balance has been hashed to death, we all have our own way. Let's move on!
I went by the r/c field today, ohhhh baby, it is a full scale strip the club flies from and is very well taken care of. I also swung by the Country Club to see where the meet and greet is to tale place, one of the nicer CC's I have been to. So far it is looking to be a great trip. Sorry I did not think to take pick of either but will from here out.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
My son lived in McPherson, KS for awhile and the locals referred to their local Red Roof Inn as the Red Roach Inn. It was diffidently worth the extra to stay at the Holiday Inn Express across the road!
Yes, and apart from the bed bugs, there was a truck stop right next to the inn... I was in the bathroom shaving when I heard from the adjacent bathroom, through the vent, a woman's voice say, I'll do this and that for 45 dollars... it was so loud and clear, I nearly reached for my wallet ... it should have been called the red light Inn .

John M,
Old 07-03-2015, 09:35 AM
acerc

Being as there is absolutely nothing to do here (other than shopping) we drove around the fields again. Here is a couple shots of the airport which even though small is large enough for a Jet, and the club's airfield.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	2107160   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	2107161   Click image for larger version

Name:	0007.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	2107162   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	2107163   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	2107164   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	2107165  

Last edited by acerc; 07-03-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the middle of nowhere is bigger in Texas.

Wishing you two a wonderful time.

Kevin
Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Looks like the middle of nowhere is bigger in Texas.

Wishing you two a wonderful time.

Kevin
You got that right. Another thing, back home I predominantly wear shorts. I have seen only one man wearing shorts here, mostly jeans and overalls, talk about feeling out of place.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 AM
stevegauth30

When in Rome, Don some overalls. A straw hat will do you well too. Lol. Have a good time.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
When in Rome, Don some overalls. A straw hat will do you well too. Lol. Have a good time.
I grew up in overalls, I think I would rather leave this world than wear them again. LOL!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 PM
stevegauth30

touche. lol
Old 07-03-2015, 01:37 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Rob, the field looks nice. Is it a grass or cement runway? Maybe both. I hope the sky clears up a little. Have fun Buddy!! Looking forward for pics of the event.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by acerc
You got that right. Another thing, back home I predominantly wear shorts. I have seen only one man wearing shorts here, mostly jeans and overalls, talk about feeling out of place.
Well Ace, the worse thing any traveler / tourist can do while wearing shorts, is to have their socks pulled up above their ankles... apparently that is a tell-tale sign of a noob tourist ... form what I'm told, you bunch the socks down around the ankle when in shorts, shows style ... I don't have the legs to wear shorts, if I did, I would be the laughing stock, a ruptured rook .

John M,
Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 PM
acerc

I just returned to the hotel from the pilot meet and greet. Meeting Jacquie was even more enjoyable than I could have imagined. She is a very nice woman with a good sense of humor, after all she sat at a table with me for two hours. To be able to sit at a table and have a conversation with her about aircraft and her circuit was amazing. I had a great time and look forward to Sundays photo shoot and according to Jacquie, she look's forward to flying the Eagle, of which so do I. Sorry, no pics from tonight, but there will be plenty Sunday evening for me to post.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
Well Ace, the worse thing any traveler / tourist can do while wearing shorts, is to have their socks pulled up above their ankles... apparently that is a tell-tale sign of a noob tourist ... form what I'm told, you bunch the socks down around the ankle when in shorts, shows style ... I don't have the legs to wear shorts, if I did, I would be the laughing stock, a ruptured rook .

John M,
Apparently everyone at my club is a tourist but me.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM
John_M_

You got to have style...

I look like big bird in shorts... then put on some knee high sports socks; I'll look like I came from the Benny Hill show

I wouldn't worry about what other people think, as long as you're comfortable... I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to wear denim jeans pants in that Texas heat and humidity... I've been as far as San Antonio Texas during this time of year "July August "and it was miserable... down in the river walk, it was much cooler and tolerable.

John M,
Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 AM
acerc

The weather actually is not that bad, 92° with 60-80% humidity, much better than in Florida to me. At home within an hour outside under cover one is covered in sweat, I don't think I have had even a bead here. At the pilot party yesterday evening there were numerous men in shorts, so, I will be as well this evening for the airshow.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM
John_M_

I bet Florida is hell this time of year... its the 90 degree temps, with 90% humidity that I can't stand... here in California, it can hit 113 degrees, but only 25-30% humidity... the dry heat is much more tolerable.

Enjoy the airshow

John M,
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
acerc

The airshow went off without a hitch. There were a lot of planes of which I will mention a few, the commonly known P51-D and an uncommon P51-C, a B-25, an Albatros, a Corsair/ F4U-1D, a Mig17, Jacquies Extra of which was beautiful, and a Pitts s2 of which I think was the Oakley model but not positive as I was taking video and could not really see it. The look on the wife's face over the Pitts performance was worth the trip in itself, she was blown away at a full scale doing the things it was doing. Tonight, I think I may have lost a Pitts kit to the wife, what a wonderful life.
I will upload some pics and video after returning home, I already have issues with going online period with a public WiFi but definitely don't want to open any of my accounts with personal information.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Melchizedek

Can't wait for the video. So glad the misses is catching on fire over the Pitts.
What a team you will be

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.