Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

outstanding
Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ask me, I think this is where the magic comes together in a project ........a person just can't help getting excited about it.

Its looking like an airplane again!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
stevegauth30

You've been a busy man Robert. It's looking awesome and must feel good to be at the point you were last time. Making good progress. Exciting.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:08 PM
acerc

Thanks guys and "yes" it does feel good. But getting to this point, even twice, is the easy part. After my last post, having a couple hours to kill, I went and started mowing. Now nearly four hours later I am to tired to sand so it will wait until tomorrow. Being some places need sanded I will sand the entire thing just to maintain the same foundation finish. It, the couple areas needing sanding as well as the sanding itself, probably would not show through but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by acerc; 07-27-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM
acerc

After a quick clean up of myself I went inspecting the finish. The only areas that will need sanding is on the fuse, I thought I saw others earlier but I guess it was just the spotted paint covered glasses. That sure makes me feel better, should be off to an early start again tomorrow. I would really like to get some white on it tomorrow as well.

Last edited by acerc; 07-29-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Melchizedek

So happy for you Robert. Preparatory work near done.
Rest up and let the Magic begin.

Kevin
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks super Robert.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Robert, what magical results do you have for us today? The work yesterday was fantastic!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I don't know where you find the patience to complete a project like this after all the setbacks but, it sure is going to be 1 beautiful airplane. Those were some good tips on the dangers of vapor explosions. Just when you say never will happen it does, and we don't always get a second chance. I use to think the guys that were having fires with their lipos were just being careless, until we had one go off just sitting on the tailgate of a guys truck at the field. Lucky to get it knocked onto the ground before it did any real damage. I now do all my charging in the concrete stairwell to my outside basement door. Be careful all.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM
stevegauth30

You have a good point RB. We always say, it won't happen to me because I ......, then it happens. Nuff of that. Can't wait to see the hot rod.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Well is it white yet? off to work check back around midnight.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 AM
acerc

Long story short, I had to go home to tend to some issues, painting will be on hold for a week or so. Thank you for everyone's support and kind words. As for the fumes issue, I agree it is a dangerous proposition. In my life I have taken many OSHA and product mfg's safety training sessions and know very well the danger of explosive gases. So, short of build a proper ventilated paint booth I have vented about as well as one can, the fumes are being evacuated at a high rate. For me an even bigger issue is the breathing through the filtered mask, it does not sit well with one whom has asthma and COPD.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear you on both Robert. It would be better to push the air or have a belt driven evacuation fan, but sounds like you did the best and safest you could.

I failed my last certification test for a gas mask back in '08. Could not get enough air in me or out. Lost the job end of the year.

Hopefully I will be in the same position as you as far as painting next year. With all that has been said I am kicking around ideas for a paint booth. Can't do it in the garage so some sort of temp affair that I can put up and down easily and quickly will be in order. I will pass anything along I come up with for you and everybody else's use and to critique.

Ken
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Paint fumes are a big concern for me too. I have lung damage from a bad case of pneumonia 9one lobe is about shot on the right one) and its very hard for me to get fumes out of my lungs. I will probably paint outdoors or as close as I can get to it. Its one of the reasons I bought a PVA finishing resin to try with fiberglass. I don't have any real problems with epoxy fumes but why not eliminate the fumes if I can?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 AM
acerc

I could have thrown up a temporary booth at home but not with the heat of summer. Once I have finished remodeling the MH the area I am using will have proper ventilation for a paint booth. It will have a down draft belt driven fan pulling through the floor and out the side of the skirting on the back side of the MH. That is one of the few things I like about a MH, one can use the space underneath like this.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:48 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep us updated on the paint booth Robert. We will shamelessly steal any ideas we like
Sounds like you are really thinking ahead of the curve.

Ken
Old 07-29-2014, 06:00 AM
acerc

What I would really like to do (and probably will) is install a carbon air circulation system, instead of an air evacuation system. I have attached a photo of the filtering part, it would take two for proper intake as well as four balance returns. This would provide the ability to keep the room cool as well as clean air to breath. No more than what it would be filtering it would only require annual replacement of the carbon, the element contains all the solids and would be replaced much more often.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33703_45_webonly.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2018283  

Last edited by acerc; 07-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
acerc

The reason I came home has been taken care of so I will be heading back in the morning. Went much better than I anticipated, for once.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Melchizedek

Originally Posted by acerc
The reason I came home has been taken care of so I will be heading back in the morning. Went much better than I anticipated, for once.
I heard a tremendous Yiiipppieeeeeeeeee!!!!!! over the horizon.
I thought,what in the world !!!!!!
Came in and checked, then everything made since.
It was the masses elated now that Robert is back on his Hot Rod.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
acerc

Your to much my brother. When the wife got home, having nothing on tv, and not much else to do, she said "You want to", I cut her off and said "we're already packed lets go"! So! I am at the property now.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
stevegauth30

Yaaaay! Alright now, nuff of that, we wanna see some paint flying! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Chris Special

Thumbs up EMHW Pitts with Valach 170

Hi Robert,

Just stumbled over your thread and want to encourage you.

The 2.43m Pitts is an ideal combination with the Valach 170. Unbeatable, especially when using the Fiala 34x14 Prop.
Power is awesome (torque with half throttle) and sound comes close to the original.

Mine is 19.5kg with all tanks filled. You may need to add some weight in the back, when using the 4 stroke Valach (replace Alu tubes with steel bars on the elevator).

You may read my thread, how I mounted the Valach into that kit here: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...2-43m-von-EMHW

Unfortunately in german but feel free to contact me via mail, I can give you hints and will translate relevant sections, if required.

If you are crazy enough, you may be interested in the building of our bigger Pitts in steel tube, based on original drawings here: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...lrohr-Bauweise

Good luck and happy landings!

Some impressions (it is the best plane combo I ever had on my sticks):

Endless knife edges

Mother and daughter

Hanging around

Engine cowl open

Christian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts im Gäu.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	2018616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120902-00018.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2018617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	2018618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	2018619  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert good to see you in high gear again, well almost. Plane is going to look good, we all know you wouldn't settle for less. Also providing some good info on a spray booth, nice to have the room also. Alot of guys would like to have indoor painting shop like that.

Air movement is the key to your paint booth, not only for fumes but over spray, HVLP produces the least of it as you know. A blade fan from a hanging gas furnace makes a great wall fan that moves alot of CFM's, a shutter can be installed on the out side to prevent wind from blowing through it when not useing it. To control air volume through the shop a couple of 2'X4' filterd windows, the side slide type can be opened different amounts to control the volume and creat a vacume, it's what I have in my shop and it really works. Most box fans don't have the power to creat the vacume but are better than nothing. For those that don't know, box fans have magnetic motor stators just like the furnace motors so they are explosion proof, never use a brushed motor for a fume fan, the brushes creat sparks.

While many of the vierers know these things, many don't. A spray booth isn't hard to set up if you have the room but at the same time in the house you live in is not the place for one. It isn't that hard to make one with tarps if need be. Portable lighting can also be rigged up, you need good lighting to paint well, Robert looks like he has some.

Leroy
Old 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Chris Special
Hi Robert,

Just stumbled over your thread and want to encourage you.

The 2.43m Pitts is an ideal combination with the Valach 170. Unbeatable, especially when using the Fiala 34x14 Prop.
Power is awesome (torque with half throttle) and sound comes close to the original.

Mine is 19.5kg with all tanks filled. You may need to add some weight in the back, when using the 4 stroke Valach (replace Alu tubes with steel bars on the elevator).

You may read my thread, how I mounted the Valach into that kit here: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...2-43m-von-EMHW

Unfortunately in german but feel free to contact me via mail, I can give you hints and will translate relevant sections, if required.

If you are crazy enough, you may be interested in the building of our bigger Pitts in steel tube, based on original drawings here: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...lrohr-Bauweise

Good luck and happy landings!

Some impressions (it is the best plane combo I ever had on my sticks):

Endless knife edges

Mother and daughter

Hanging around

Engine cowl open

Christian
Hello Chris Special and thanks for jumping in here. If the plane in the bottom pic is yours I have the video or a video of you flying it. You are absolutely correct in the Valach has more than enough butt to fly this puppy, at least it appears that way in your video. Mine will be a bit heavier, somewhere around 45lbs/ 20.45kgs. As for a bigger one, LOL, yea I would love to "but". I did a framed up balance and it was 4lbs on the tail nose heavy. So I moved all the electronics and batteries behind the cockpit, as well as the switches. It was pretty balanced that way but I also know cover and paint may have a minor affect on balance. As long as it's close I'll be happy but if it needs any I made a small compartment in the tail for weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.