Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leroy, another good source for fans is from dryers. I have two units that I purchased for thirty bucks each, that should be more than efficient. The flow can be controlled via vent intake covers or if one is really anal the fans could be put on a variable speed controller. When I get to that point I will do a thread and show how I install it, how to control the flow, and how to do directional control. For a truly dust free room the air needs to circulate without causing turbulence. I had my last (real) shop set up in such a manner and it was terrific.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
acerc

Chris Special, do you have any numbers for your rpms with that prop? On the ground I am running right about 4600 with a 33x14 Fiala.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Chris Special

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Robert,

Just go through your thread and admire your work. Perfect Job!

Yes, the shown Pitts is mine, it's now is 3 years "working" and still in very good condition.

If you keep the plane under 22kg, you're safe. The heavier, the higher the landing speed, everything around 21kg is easy to handle. Beyond that, landing needs more "management"

I currently built that plane 1:1.7 based on Curtis Pitts drawings in steel and aluminum. I will certainly use your stich technique, very good idea!

I will be shadowing you

regards

Christian
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM
acerc

Now, for everyone else, the wife came up with me so I have not been in a hurry to get to the smelly stuff. I spent the day doing yard work and amusing her. LOL! I can and will start in the morning so even/ when if I get to spraying it won't bother her because she will be leaving. There should not be any odor in that part of the house but the way her nose is I did not want to risk it, ya'll know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Chris Special

Originally Posted by acerc
Chris Special, do you have any numbers for your rpms with that prop? On the ground I am running right about 4600 with a 33x14 Fiala.
Yes, I do record rpms on my control. Idle is around 850 to 900 rpm.
Full throttle on ground: 4'600 rpm
Full throttle in flight (straight): 5'700 rpm
Highest rpm downwards full throttle: 6'360 rpm (too high!!!!)
Prop Fiala 34x14

I guess your 33x14 may be too small and rpm in flight risks to be too high! Be careful!

Keep an eye on lubing the valve shafts on your Valach, especially outlet and use heat resistant grease.

regards

Christian
Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 PM
acerc

Thanks Chris. I guess I will be getting the bigger prop and I do have telemetry installed to keep an eye on things. Is there an issue with the valves or is it just a standard practice for Valach to keep them lubed well? Also, have you ever ran a three bladed prop?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 AM
acerc

The sanding has begun and is going much better than I first anticipated. I figured sanding this stuff, being the type of paint it is, would be similar to latex but is nothing like it. It is more like sanding automotive paint. Should get the sanding done and another light coat of the silver easily today.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 AM
acerc

I am going to post a pic in an attempt to show what it is I am sanding off. It may need to be enlarged to it's fullest to see the little missing specs (the pink spots). The fuse rear left was the worst, and as noted before I have no idea why there is all these spots. Most of the sanding has been completed but still going over it real well, a couple times to be sure. I was prepping the equipment as well as the can of poly and the wife could smell it so I will wait until she leaves to spray anything.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	2018838  
Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

interesting
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
interesting
More like irritating and dumbfounding. The room, air, and every thing in between is pretty damn clean. I tack rag everything just prior to spraying as well as everything in the room, after vacuuming the room. Like previously stated it is only on the fuse, the rest was pretty much spot free. I have no idea how this could have happened, well, almost. I did have it setting in the airflow of one of the vents one time, that may have been where it came from.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You are likely correct robert. Dust and stuff in the ducts that you a course were not able to clean. To stop that you would need a filter over your vents into you spray area. Now you are starting to cut into you airflow into you room. A box ducted to the vent with a booster fan maybe? Beats me. See how much airflow you got with just a filter over the vents first.

Ken
Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like the vent may had some fine dust in it.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM
acerc

Thanks guys, I have placed a piece of a/c filter over the vents for the remainder of this affair.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Robert, any time you have moving air it is going to have some amount of contaminates it it. There is just no way to make everything associated with your booth clean unless it is a pro downdraft booth. For this reason I do all my painting at sunrise in the driveway after wetting down the pavement. Being that it is at sunrise, all the little floaties have gotten damp and have settled to the ground. It's actually the cleanest part of the day.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Robert, any time you have moving air it is going to have some amount of contaminates it it. There is just no way to make everything associated with your booth clean unless it is a pro downdraft booth. For this reason I do all my painting at sunrise in the driveway after wetting down the pavement. Being that it is at sunrise, all the little floaties have gotten damp and have settled to the ground. It's actually the cleanest part of the day.
That is a good way to go but here it is just to hot, the paint would flash off way to quick. And once I get to where I can finish my room, it will have a down draft system. But for now I will make do with what I have.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Robert, I don't know what size registers you have but I found a package of vent filters that fit on the inside of the register against the louvers in one of the home centers. The work pretty good filtering the air coming out of the HAC system.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Robert, I don't know what size registers you have but I found a package of vent filters that fit on the inside of the register against the louvers in one of the home centers. The work pretty good filtering the air coming out of the HAC system.
Thanks bud, I just made my own from a regular filter.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Chris Special

Originally Posted by acerc
Thanks Chris. I guess I will be getting the bigger prop and I do have telemetry installed to keep an eye on things. Is there an issue with the valves or is it just a standard practice for Valach to keep them lubed well? Also, have you ever ran a three bladed prop?
Hi Robert,

no issue with the valves. I once did an inspection and rather neglected lubing the shafts and that day they appeared rather dry and I had the impression they where harder to move (only outlet valves). They seem to get pretty hot. I now use a special grease, heat resisting up to 200 °C (don't know what this is in Fahrenheit).

No experience with 3 blade props and Valach so far.

Reading about your "paint cabin". My friend here build one himself and the trick is, he sucks the air above ground out of it and disposes it outside the building. Fresh air coming in from above, so you drag all particles and spray from top to bottom of cabin, creating a downstream.
Works pretty well. 4 neon lights at the ceiling give good visibility.
Just a remark.

regards

Christian
Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM
acerc

Thanks Christian, I will go to a motorcycle shop and get something sufficient for the valves. I still love watching your video, just amazing, the plane and the engine.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
acerc

After sanding the fuse, I really liked how it blended the tapes in. So! I have spent the day sanding everything, and glad I have because it really has made a difference. I still have a bit to go before all of it will be done so probably no spraying today. But with the better look from sanding I am very happy with taking my time and getting it better than good.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
acerc

Whew..... All the sanding has been completed and it is smooth as silk..
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM
stevegauth30

That's what sets the real good ones apart from the rest. You'll have a real good one.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM
acerc

Thank you Steve. I have to say that with the idea of spraying white tomorrow I am getting "very excited" and nervous at the same time....I am excited that it will finally get some white. But I am nervous at the thought of all the masking and such to finish up with the colors.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 AM
acerc

The room has been vac'ed, wiped, vac'ed, tak ragged, and the paint has been mixed. Nothin left but to do it, after a short break.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can't wait to see!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.