Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor sounded great Robert.
ooh la la !! Nice and throaty.

Oh, it did looks great too

Kevin
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh yeah baby oh yeah
Anxiously waiting for the rest and flight.

Ken
Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
The video is not much but it served my purpose. And that was to do the range checks, both engine off and running, bounce it around just a bit to see if anything shakes loose/electronically, and to see or hear if the exhaust was where I want it. I think it is perfect and will leave it straight pipes. Now to get this bird finished up and let it take flight.
Robert,

Wow just doesn't seem to hit the mark. That is one fine looking aircraft and the sound of the engine running just adds icing on the cake!

Like everyone else had said, 'Can't wait to see it fly!'
Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guy's, I'm working on it. It might would go a bit faster if I weren't so stupid. You know that little cover access plate at the rear (pic #1) of which I painted with the rest of the plane. Well, it just so happens that I forgot about the little mount ring (Pic #2) that goes in the fuse, way back at the rear, where you can't see or get to hardly. But, after many attempts in many different ways did manage to get it in. Took about 2 hours, the other side should go quicker.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	2027050   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	2027051  
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 PM
acerc

Whew, the other side is done. What a PITA!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
rs917

Looking good Robert (just saw the video).

Looks like it handles like a full scale Pitts on the pavement!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks (and sounds) fantastic Robert! Won't be long now...
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 AM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Looks great Robert.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:26 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Looks like it handles like a full scale Pitts on the pavement!"

LOL. I remember that. I never knew what direction mine was going to take off in.:-))))))))))))))

Les
Old 08-30-2014, 01:18 PM
John_M_

Thanks guy's, I'm working on it. It might would go a bit faster if I weren't so stupid. You know that little cover access plate at the rear (pic #1) of which I painted with the rest of the plane. Well, it just so happens that I forgot about the little mount ring (Pic #2) that goes in the fuse, way back at the rear, where you can't see or get to hardly. But, after many attempts in many different ways did manage to get it in. Took about 2 hours, the other side should go quicker.
Damn, you have more Patience than a Saint... I don't know how you got that reinforcement / attachment ring in place, but I'm guessing that long metal rod has something (or a lot ) to do with it... you exhibit skills I used in the auto industry to make "short cutting", even longer... I put a door lock in one job and forgot to hook up the linkage... it took me three times as long to fish the linkage and reconnect it with a piece of welding rod and a long screw driver.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-30-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM
acerc

Well John, you're half right. That long rod would not hold the interior plate well enough to get the screws through. So, I slipped thread into the hole, pulled it to the canopy opening with that rod and a piece of double sided tape on the end. Did that with both screw holes, then tied the wooden ring to the thread, minding front and rear, then used that rod with the hook on the ring to keep tension on the thread and to keep it from twisting up. Pulled the thread back through the screw holes and while keeping the tension tight lightly started the screws. And Voila!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
"Looks like it handles like a full scale Pitts on the pavement!"

LOL. I remember that. I never knew what direction mine was going to take off in.:-))))))))))))))

Les

Sorry guys, all that tail wiggle was actually me trying to keep it slowed down.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
acerc

I also learned, from that run, that a four strokes crankcase breather tube can not be extended. I don't know if it came through in the vid but it would only throttle up to around 2500rpm's, apparently due to back pressure in the case.....
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM
acerc

By the way, anyone here know anything about four stroke gas, I'm all ears. Things like-don't extend, or how to tune, or anything. This is new to me in aircraft.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM
stevegauth30

You try the gas engine forums? Wish I could help.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM
acerc

To much gibberish thrown in the mix.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:25 PM
acerc

I have one more scale item added to the plane, but did not plan on it. An oil drip pan!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:31 PM
John_M_

Well John, you're half right. That long rod would not hold the interior plate well enough to get the screws through. So, I slipped thread into the hole, pulled it to the canopy opening with that rod and a piece of double sided tape on the end. Did that with both screw holes, then tied the wooden ring to the thread, minding front and rear, then used that rod with the hook on the ring to keep tension on the thread and to keep it from twisting up. Pulled the thread back through the screw holes and while keeping the tension tight lightly started the screws. And Voila!!!!
By the way, anyone here know anything about four stroke gas, I'm all ears. Things like-don't extend, or how to tune, or anything. This is new to me in aircraft.
I knew you were a magician !!

I know plenty about four strokes Ace; but mostly glow fuel... ordered my first "Gas" four stoke on Friday to put in my H9 Super Cub, getting one of those OS GF40's... valley view's still back ordered their 40CC twin.

John M,
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
I knew you were a magician !!
I get lucky every now and then.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
John_M_

I also learned, from that run, that a four strokes crankcase breather tube can not be extended. I don't know if it came through in the vid but it would only throttle up to around 2500rpm's, apparently due to back pressure in the case.....
Well that's not entirely true... the crankcase breather can not be restricted with a piece of long narrow tubing / hose; as the oil will form pockets in the tubing and interfere with the venting of the crankcase.

What I did with my Saito 130 twin was to use a piece of heat shrink tubing with a large enough inside diameter so the oil can drain, while allowing the crankcase gases to vent freely.... I heated the very end of the shrink tubing, to shrink it down to where it will fit over the crankcase vent nipple... I cut the shrunk portion down so it was just long enough to fit over the nipple without interfering with the vent flow (cut the shrunk portion as short as possible)... the only thing I don't know is how well the shrink tubing will hold up in the GAS environment... on the Saito 130 twin Glow engine it worked a treat, and kept that nasty breather oil off the underside of the fuselage which runs down everywhere.

John M,
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM
acerc

Well that's not entirely true... the crankcase breather can not be restricted with a piece of long narrow tubing / hose; as the oil will form pockets in the tubing and interfere with the venting of the crankcase.
John M,
Now that is a confusing statement, at least to me.
My engine came with a crankcase tube about 12" long, just long enough to point it down and out. I added length in an attempt to keep the oil off the bottom of the fuse. I'll just have to keep some wipes with me just for this one.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:44 PM
John_M_

Well what I mean is, the inside diameter of the breather vent tube needs to be larger when you extend it... especially when its a long length... I would try replacing that entire vent tube with a longer piece of tubing that has a larger inside diameter... you will have to fashion a means of holding it on the crankcase nipple though... because of the larger insider diameter tube, it won't push over the nipple, so you'll need a clamp or clip to hold it in place.

That's why I use the shrink tubing, because it has a larger inside diameter and I can shrink the very tip or end of the tube down to make it fit over the nipple on the crankcase.

Whats happening Ace, as the rpm increases, the volume and velocity of the venting gasses increases, but with that extension tube that you added, restricts the gas flow, which causes excessive back pressure in the crankcase... so as you extend the length of the breather tube, you have to also increase the inside diameter of the tubing to reduce resistance or restriction the longer length of tubing causes.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-30-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM
acerc

Whats happening Ace, as the rpm increases, the volume and velocity of the venting gasses increases, but with that extension tube that you added, restricts the gas flow, which causes excessive back pressure in the crankcase... so as you extent the length of the breather tube, you have to also increase the inside diameter of the tubing to reduce resistance or restriction the longer length of tubing causes.

John M,
True, but now for the rest of the story. Not only does the length restrict the flow but so does the exiting oil. With the line being 3 feet in length the oil pools in the hose where ever it has a sway. All in all, to me, it is not worth going to an extremely larger tube, stretching taught so no pooling. I will just clean it after each outing, it's not like this baby is going to be my everyday flier so it won't be that often.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 PM
John_M_

True, but now for the rest of the story. Not only does the length restrict the flow but so does the exiting oil. With the line being 3 feet in length the oil pools in the hose where ever it has a sway. All in all, to me, it is not worth going to an extremely larger tube, stretching taught so no pooling. I will just clean it after each outing, it's not like this baby is going to be my everyday flier so it won't be that often.

Right, you got it... the tubing can't drape with low spots in it where oil can collect and block the venting gasses.... A straight down and out run... the nice thing about the shrink tubing is it has a thin wall to it, so the inside diameter is larger.

A 3 foot section would require quite a large inside diameter to reduce the restriction to where the oil would run and gases could flow freely.

This is what I did with the 130... the longer the tube the bigger the inside diameter has to be in order to vent freely... 3 feet is quite long.

Last edited by John_M_; 08-30-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Melchizedek

When we were kids. They used to have gum ball machines with a steam shovel in them with the fancy prizes like a watch maybe.
I bet you were the kid who always sported a fancy watch or gold chain from those machines. If not, you coulda .

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.