Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just, for the heck of it, actually measured it. From the nipple on the engine to the exiting tube was exactly 5 feet. I'll leave it as is, 12" exiting straight down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	2027297  
Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

5 feet, damn... to get good drainage and venting, I would use at the minimum, a piece of 5/16" to 3/8" "inside diameter" tubing and reduce the very end to fit the nipple.

John M,
Old 08-31-2014, 04:59 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
5 feet, damn...
John M,
Yea!!! It's a wonder it ran at all. And the sad part is I know better, having been a grease monkey. I will just treat this engine as any other four stroke, but, with a little more care.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
When we were kids. They used to have gum ball machines with a steam shovel in them with the fancy prizes like a watch maybe.
I bet you were the kid who always sported a fancy watch or gold chain from those machines. If not, you coulda .

Kevin
Uhhhhh, no comment....
Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Robert knowing you I think it would be really easy to make up some brackets that would position a 3/8" brass or aluminum tube just under that breather nipple at one end and between the exhaust pipes at the other. Then run a 2" peice of Tygon into the larger metal tube. Virtually no restriction at all and the metal tube simply becomes a gutter.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 AM
acerc

Don't worry speed, if it comes to it I can get some 1/2" or 3/4" Tygon and run it to the rear like I had it. I am going to wait until after I run it again and see just how bad it really is. I may be fretting over nothing.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by acerc
having been a grease monkey
The term is "Technician", we stop calling ourselves that when they started using transistors in engine management systems... but it still can get pretty greasy.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Robert knowing you I think it would be really easy to make up some brackets that would position a 3/8" brass or aluminum tube just under that breather nipple at one end and between the exhaust pipes at the other. Then run a 2" piece of Tygon into the larger metal tube. Virtually no restriction at all and the metal tube simply becomes a gutter.
That would work too.

If that crank nipple was an actual PCV value, then Ace could actually re-burn the crank breather oil / gases, but that's more of a pain and he would have to do some re-plumbing.

Don't worry speed, if it comes to it I can get some 1/2" or 3/4" Tygon and run it to the rear like I had it. I am going to wait until after I run it again and see just how bad it really is. I may be fretting over nothing.
1/2" would be more than adequate... just run it down one of the landing gear legs.

Also, since you're still breaking in the engine, you're running what, like 20-25 : 1 Gas oil ratio, which causes a lot more blow by... when you're finally broke in it should be a lot cleaner with 30 :1 ratio.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-31-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM
acerc

Grease monkey!! No politically correct in my house.
If it needs changing I will run it to the rear as before, I don't want anything visible such as running down the gear leg. Inside of the gear leg would have been a good idea if thought of sooner.
It is broke in enough that I have switched to my normal 40-1 mixture. And, yes, there is still plenty of oil coming through.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the "politically correct" statement there Ace!

Name:	xigKRGn5T.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2027523  
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM
John_M_

I have switched to my normal 40-1 mixture. And, yes, there is still plenty of oil coming through.
Wow, there is plenty of oil there... at 40:1, that's only a bit over 3oz's of oil per gallon... plenty of lube at the bottom end still... that synthetic oil really creeps though, if fines it's way through everything.

John M,
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM
acerc

Yep, still working on it. Lot's of little thing's such as the cowl support brace, rewired the tele eliminating the throttle, painted the back rest aluminum blue, re-securing the wheel pants with fastening brackets on both sides. Also sanding, filling, sanding, filling on the windscreen mount, it is almost ready to paint. Had to lay-up another glass aileron hinge, somewhere in transit home one got broke and I have no idea how or where, the piece is missing. Tons of little stuff getting done just nothing to show. Should be done with the fuse some time over the next couple days and then can get to the wings. The wings are going to be a bit of a pain, not build wise but rather the fact I am not sure just yet how I am going to go in regards to leaving them on or not. I have to see how well the fuse fits into the trailer at a diagonal before deciding which way to go. I would much rather leave them on if at all possible.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM
acerc

I know you'all like pictures so here. The cowl brace with foam on top, the blue backrest thingy, and the windscreen painted gold.

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	2027938  
Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every time I see it, Wow comes to mind

Kevin
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM
acerc

The windscreen mount has been fastened on and I just don't like the color. Pic 1 is mine, duh, pic 2 and 3 for comparison. The real one looks more yellow to me so tomorrow I will see what I can find at the auto store that looks more appropriate.

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	2028029   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 - Copy.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	2028030   Click image for larger version

Name:	N77MN canopy decal 16th May 2013 - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	2028031  

Last edited by acerc; 09-01-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, let me ask this: Does the color you have match the rest of the trim? That's what I see in the pic of the "real thing". To me, it looks like it does match. And, another thing, this pic of the "real thing" seems to be different than what you must have referenced. The cabane struts for instance are also a different color. Just some observations.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM
acerc

Oh geese, I guess I have more painting to do, thanks David I had not noticed. Yes, the frame is painted with the same gold, but the gold don't look the same from where I stand. And maybe my going with gold was a misconception but it is done.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Melchizedek

I agree with David.

It looks like the canopy paint was an attempt to match the trim paint. It doesn't look dead on but close.
The yellow on the canopy is straight out in the sun. The trim paint is probably reflecting some of the red and blue hence the shade dif.

Kevin
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
acerc

I agree with David.

It looks like the canopy paint was an attempt to match the trim paint. It doesn't look dead on but close.
The yellow on the canopy is straight out in the sun. The trim paint is probably reflecting some of the red and blue hence the shade dif.

Kevin
And being we strive for the appearance of correct are you saying something with just a touch of yellow for the canopy frame would be closer?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Melchizedek

That's what I am thinking.
I would decide what photo you would take to competition and have the auto parts store match that yellow/gold on the canopy.

If you go over to Tony's Chipmunk build in Kits (last two pages) He is having fits with his yellow. Lighting seems to play a part.

Kevin

Last edited by Melchizedek; 09-01-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM
acerc

That's what I am thinking.
I would decide what photo you would take to competition and have the auto parts store match that yellow/gold on the canopy.

If you go over Tony's Chipmunk build in Kits (last two pages) He is having fits with his yellow. Lighting seems to play a part.

Kevin
Of all the photos I have, they all seem to have a bit more of a yellowish canopy. Is it true, is it lighting, I don't know, but I will look and see if I can find a gold with just a touch of a yellowish hue to it. All I know is right this minute I do not like what I am seeing and will change something, the airframe is not going to be it, so it has to be the canopy.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
acerc

I just looked at Tony's thread, lol, yep! he is going through the yellow hell. With the three part and the small amounts he is using it is extremely hard to get the exact perfect hue especially with his type of lighting. I have the same thing here to some degree and before heading to the auto store I will take it outside and see how it really looks. I did the same at the paint booth, some parts just looked different and had to get them closer to the window to see the true colors. That is one of the reasons I love Stits paint as well, no mixing of components, just shake and bake!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
acerc

One can't double check enough when building these thing's. Was just sittin here going over things visually and trying to say "Yep" checked that. And realized I had not checked the stabs since installing the center front support. Turns out the right had 3° versus the left at 2°, 2° is where they belong, so I readjusted that. As it currently sits I believe all that is left, providing the gold looks better in the sun, is to install the windscreen and canopy.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
John_M_

Well Ace, the color of the canopy frame, to me looks like its the same color as the "Star Burst" striping on the side of the fuselage... yellows acts like a chameleon under varying light and shadow conditions (colorimetry)... in those RW images you posted above, the wide striping on top of the nose forward of the windshield, looks to be the same color as well... the yellow changes to more of a mustered color in the shaded areas... I wouldn't split hairs over it Ace, or it will be one thing after another... I would just paint the canopy frame the same color as the striping you used and be done with it.

John M,

***EDIT***

BTW...I think your window frame looks great, and I think once you get it outside, it will be more appealing to you... don't forget if you use florescent lighting in your workshop, the color of the florescent light (worm, cool, etc) will blend with your paint colors and give you a false or misconception of the actual color.

Last edited by John_M_; 09-01-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 AM
acerc

Well, I was going to take the wheels and pants off and finish up the mount, it's all made just needed some fine tuning. And the bloody wheel collar set screw broke. So I had to cut the wheel and hub off to get to the collar with the dremel so now I have to order some more wheels. I don't know if I am ever going to finish this thing, is a feeling coming on.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

If it makes you feel any better here is how my holiday went. Friday, my son's car died and we had to replace the distributor but the connector is bad and can only be purchase on Ebay so it won't be here until Friday. Also on Friday the driver's outside door handle broke on my wife's car. I was able to get one at a salvage yard. Also Friday my big screen dies, it was 7 years old. The first replacement TV had problems so I had to pack it up in the box and take back. Today my Canon 4 in 1 printer, etc, etc, died. Head is jammed by a broken part and it's impossible to get to or get parts.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.