Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that John. I am always nervous first flight of the day, that's why I carry a beater plane for first flight.

Your right Mike, the bungees are doing much better.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know, it takes time to settle in with a new aircraft... I'm the same way with my H9 SC; I rather like my sig J3 better, but there you go, it is what it is.

You didn't keep all those planes in your collection by being reckless... a season modeller's motto, play it smart, be safe, and they'll last a long time.

Its funny, I got into this hobby for some enjoyment, but it can be nerve-racking at times... but there's no other hobby I could enjoy more than RC aircraft... ham radio, there's zero excitement... fishing can get boring real quick... arts and crafts, well its not me... RC fills the voids of the hum drum / day to day monotony, regardless of the stress levels it causes .

John M,
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
You didn't keep all those planes in your collection by being reckless, regardless of the stress levels it causes .

John M,
Those two phrases put together says it all!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM
John_M_

LoL, well you're managing the stress levels very well then... I don't know how those jet guys do it... with the investment they have in those things, I would be popping "Prilosec OTC" like it was candy.

John M,
Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM
acerc

Oh, well, those guys have something wrong with them or more money than they know what to do with. LOL!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Having more money than you know what to do with tends to make something wrong with people. Just look at Hollywood for example. Oh and politicians. There is something wrong with them on our dime.

Ken
Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You know Robert, I quit posting over at RCG because I got tired of the BS I received while trying to teach guys about setup and trimming. I would at times take a half hour to put together a comprehensive answer to a question just to have someone come in and proclaim that what I was suggesting just wasnt required. 9 times out of 10 the OP went the lazy route. If I was just getting into aerobatics and someone with over 100 pattern and IMAC contests under his belt offered help I would have been all over it. I just cant figure some people out. Great video, looks like she is going to be a great performer.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You know Robert, I quit posting over at RCG because I got tired of the BS I received while trying to teach guys about setup and trimming. I would at times take a half hour to put together a comprehensive answer to a question just to have someone come in and proclaim that what I was suggesting just wasnt required. 9 times out of 10 the OP went the lazy route. If I was just getting into aerobatics and someone with over 100 pattern and IMAC contests under his belt offered help I would have been all over it. I just cant figure some people out. Great video, looks like she is going to be a great performer.
I know exactly what you mean. And other than finishing up what I started on here I am done. There is a more appreciative forum elsewhere, but then, those guys are as into it as we are for the most part.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:47 AM
acerc

Bu the way, the flights for Monday got pushed off until Wednesday. The wife asked if I would take her out Tuesday and buddy box her, I spent Monday getting the radios set-up and everything charged. She has practiced on the sim a bit and doing pretty good. Today was fun though as she finally got to experience the knee shake I speak of. What a day.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cool she wants to fly.
My wife.supports my hobby but does not no way want to fly.

Hope she does well

Kevin
Old 06-23-2015, 12:33 PM
John_M_

You're a lucky man Ace... my wife has no interest in the flying part, she likes to see the models... occasionally will come out to watch the planes fly... but for the most part, I think she enjoys me out of the house for some time to herself... sometimes I feel like she's pushing me out; "you going flying today hun, I made you a launch bag to take with you"... I have to knock the dusty foot prints off me arse its so obvious... but we've been together for 36 years now, so if she was sick of me, she would have tossed me aside years ago ... she has been very supportive though with the budget, letting me spend here and there on the hobby, and sometimes surprising me with gifts of things she overheard, or saw me looking at in the various catalogs.

John M,
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM
acerc

The wife and I have been together since we were in grade school. We do most everything together and quite frankly I am delighted she has decided to join me. My wife is more competitive than I and has shown an interest in competing, in either pattern or 3D. I support her fully and would love for her to become my partner in this hobby, or until I become hers. As I type she is planning our little venture next week to meet up with Jacquie in Texas. I ordered the Futaba wireless this afternoon per her instructions, I was perfectly happy with the cord but she does not like it in the way and I needed a new one for the Texas thing.

So, yes, I am a very lucky (or as I would say) blessed man.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 PM
John_M_

I wasn't aware Futaba made a wireless buddy box system... that would definitely make it less restrictive; having the cable dangling can be distracting.

I hope you get some video of Jacquie's reaction, that would be priceless... if you have to, strap a GoPro to your forehead and be your own cameraman.

John M,
Old 06-23-2015, 02:08 PM
acerc

Ahhh, come on John, drive all the way to Texas for a pic of her with the Pitts and not video her flying it? Not possible my friend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lfutm1010.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2105326  
Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM
John_M_

Nowhere in the 14GS manual does it mention the wtr-7 as a possible choice for a trainer setup, just references to the trainer cable part number... but that wireless is a neat idea... I'll have to look into it in more depth, but for the price, its worth having one in the flight box.

I know you wouldn't let us down like that Ace ... we have a couple of members that walk around with their GoPro's strapped to their head.... its surprising how well the videos come out, as you're always looking at the aircraft, so its always in frame... I need to get one for myself.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 06-23-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:33 PM
acerc

I use the Mobius, every bit as good for my needs.

Last edited by acerc; 06-23-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Robert your welcome to use my video camera for your Texas trip.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:57 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by mrdhud
Robert your welcome to use my video camera for your Texas trip.
Thank you my friend but we have one.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by acerc
I use the Mobius, every bit as good for my needs.
I think you mentioned that before, its 1/3 the cost of the gopro and supports resolutions up to1080P which is more than good enough.... 1080P eats a lot memory, 720P is what most of the guys at the field use; I think they get 45 minutes at that resolution with a 32gig card... at 1080P, you're lucky to get 15-18 minutes.

John M,
Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
I think you mentioned that before, its 1/3 the cost of the gopro and supports resolutions up to1080P which is more than good enough.... 1080P eats a lot memory, 720P is what most of the guys at the field use; I think they get 45 minutes at that resolution with a 32gig card... at 1080P, you're lucky to get 15-18 minutes.

John M,
True with the 1080P, but, one can cut down the frame rate as well as sound which increases the record time greatly. Mine is set to 1080P wide angle, 30 frames per second, sound currently on, using a 16GB card I get about 2 hours of recording.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM
John_M_

Is that right!... I forgot about the sound quality setting... 2 hours on 16gigs at 1080P is great; 30 frames is all you need really for flight recording... you can get two mobius cams for the one gopro, can't beat that.

John M,
Old 06-24-2015, 12:44 PM
acerc

I bought from Mobius, while I was at it I let them put their card in it. That way I did not have to worry about which card I bought, their card their camera = a perfect match.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:26 AM
acerc

Had another great day today, maybe the best yet. Upon arrival at the field and no one being there I did not know for sure if it would be a good day. I unloaded the plane by myself which is not a good thing. I then fueled it up, and standing behind the wing with choke on flipped it 4 times and pop, choke off and then one more flip it was idling, doesn't get any easier than that. The first flight was the shake the nerves off a little so 3-4 circles and down she came. But! The second flight, ohhhh baby! And I added smoke oil for this time around. After leaving Terra Firma coming out of the first turn I went full throttle, smoke on. Man that higher pitch prop was the ticket. It was cruising very well and the smoke was sweet, at this point the smoke was on low. So! I pulled up into a loop, it was so steady and smooth I came out of it and went directly into another one. Then, I finished the downline, made the turn, went into a roll, again as smooth as silk. I made the turn went to high on the smoke pump and plume's of smoke came rushing out. The 16oz tank was more than enough for the day but may fall short in an event, I may swap the 32oz fuel tank with the oil tank. After two flight's totaling about 10 minutes I coult not tel it had burnt any when defueling. For right now I am leaving everything be, but when I get back from Texas I may make some changes, I know I will. No video today either being no one available to shoot any. The tele tells me the JC 33x14 prop was a good move at 4550rpm's and the temps are very low so it's near perfect as is. The pitot tube was registering 74mph on the straightway and I could not believe how quick the speed would fall off when throttled back, like it had brakes.

A very good day, I love the plane, and it will only get better!! Woo Hoo!!

Last edited by acerc; 06-26-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Congrats Robert!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could feel the joy in your words.
Good for you Robert.

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.