Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Tonight, I think I may have lost a Pitts kit to the wife, what a wonderful life.

Do I feel a 57% pitts build coming our way, the bigger the better,

And yes, you don't want to expose your personal information through a public / open WiFi... with all those malicious scripts out there, you don't need to take any chances... I have a beater of a laptop I use for such purposes; stripped bare bones, with nothing of any value on it... doesn't get used much anymore, but it was used for work when on the run.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 07-04-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here I am playing catch-up again, been out of it for a while but I'm back.

I'm glad you had a good time Ace! I love watching that thing fly and I love listening to it as well, just awesome! And I'm REALLY looking forward to you pics! Safe journeys!

Oh, as for the CG thing.... Not touching it!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:55 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

yeah public wi fi is a big risk. You can get a hot spot that will basically firewall you. Even you smart phones. Only use it when you need to as data overage are ugly things.

You mentioned a toy hauler and you own room. That sounds like a good way to go. Travel trailer or 5thr? For internet that way the hot spot if you are careful of data. You can also look at wifi boosters with external antennas and the hook the booster up to your own wifi. Vastly more range. There are many technical steps that could be taken to even more protect yourself on the internet, but this thread is not the place for those discussions.

Ken
Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

They wear jeans and coveralls in Texas because even the mosquitoes and chiggers are bigger in Texas! The only exception is the brains of elected officials, they are unusually small, but they share that problem with every other state!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:59 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, fella's. 23 hours on the road with a two hour nap in the middle I have finally loaded the photos. Here are a few of Jacquie checking out her ride, then some big guy's came through and had to stop and check it out also, and a wrap up of the two of us.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	2107809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	2107810   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	2107811   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	2107812   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	2107813   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	2107814   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	2107815   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	2107816  

Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM
SHANEC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really Cool!! You did a great job!!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 PM
stevegauth30

how freakin cool is that? Did she see it fly?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by SHANEC
Really Cool!! You did a great job!!!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
how freakin cool is that? Did she see it fly?
Very, and I forgot that story. When I was getting it set-up I noticed the wing to cabane mount was a bit loose. I don't know why or even if it is anything to be of concern but we decided not to fly it. We agreed I would have it absolutely finished and ready for her when she comes down the first of next year for Sun n Fun. She did get to drive it in the grass between the taxiway and runway. Here is a pic where she was driving and I was holding the kill switch just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	049.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	2107830  
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Absolutely awesome, Robert! What a great story.....and it's not over yet!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

That is feaking... AWESOME !!! And that's one big smile on your face Robert. Great job!

Hang in there Jacquie, you'll get to fly it I'm sure.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Melchizedek

What a story.
So happy for you.

Kevin
Old 07-06-2015, 03:51 PM
John_M_

That is "priceless" Robert... I can see she was moved by seeing it's presents; must have been a great experience to share that with her... shame about the cabane bolts, but it was the right choice not to risk it.

I'm envious to say the least, this whole project has been very enjoyable to witness, and then to see you and Jacquie standing next to the completed project really puts everything into perspective, well done !... you need to get this written up in a modeller magazine, it would be a great read, and cover story... maybe by early next year you'll have a magazine interested enough to show up at the SUN n Fun event and document the entire story.

Very unique project,

John M,
Old 07-06-2015, 04:15 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by R/C Art
Absolutely awesome, Robert! What a great story.....and it's not over yet!
Thank you Art, and it is just the beginning.

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
That is feaking... AWESOME !!! And that's one big smile on your face Robert. Great job!

Hang in there Jacquie, you'll get to fly it I'm sure.
Thank you David, I'm still smiling. As long as next March/April comes Jacquie will fly the Eagle.

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
What a story.
So happy for you.

Kevin
Thank you Kevin. You are working on a cool one for you, hope it goes as well.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:29 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Way to go Robert!! Great job in all the hard work you put into building the kit and research to make it a beautiful scale Bipe. The first pic looks like she's ( Jaques ) is crying. What a touching moment. Very nice!!! Also the thumbs up from the pilot passing in his airplane is really cool!! I also have been following the build since the beginning and think this would make a great story to share in one of our modeler magazines. A big thumbs up to you from all of us!!!

Jeff
Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
That is "priceless" Robert... I can see she was moved by seeing it's presents; must have been a great experience to share that with her... shame about the cabane bolts, but it was the right choice not to risk it.

I'm envious to say the least, this whole project has been very enjoyable to witness, and then to see you and Jacquie standing next to the completed project really puts everything into perspective, well done !... you need to get this written up in a modeller magazine, it would be a great read, and cover story... maybe by early next year you'll have a magazine interested enough to show up at the SUN n Fun event and document the entire story.

Very unique project,

John M,
Thank you john. This has been a most fulfilling journey and to be able to have the actual pilot share the ride is very fulfilling and very unique. The cabane was not the only concern for me, being this was a rush in those last couple of days a few things were of concern. Mostly the fact I have not had a chance to operate the new wireless link for the buddy box. But also not having actually completed the process of maiden flights left some reservation as well. I could have overcome the last two easily but the cabane was to much.
I have been told there is one magazine that may do an article, and, the gentlemen doing the photos for Jacquie also wants to do a small internet article. But to be quite honest, from the beginning all I wanted was to build a big and beautiful airplane, I called it my lifetime "McDaddy plane". Then I came across the Eagle, then Jacquie joined the quest, then I got to experience sharing my work with the owner. I don't think I will have another build as special as this one has turned out and I will treasure it.
I appreciate everyone on the forums joining me for this ride, good or bad, agree or disagree, sharing our work with the world is very rewarding but it takes you guys being here to make that happen.

Thank you to everyone!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 PM
John_M_

Well its nice to see someone fulfill their dreams, especially in this day and age... I hope you can get at those cabane bolts without having to cut into it.

Just goes to show you the stresses that go into the structure... if anyone understands the safety concern, she does, "do it right or don't do it at all"

John M,
Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Jim Branaum

Thank you john. This has been a most fulfilling journey and to be able to have the actual pilot share the ride is very fulfilling and very unique. The cabane was not the only concern for me, being this was a rush in those last couple of days a few things were of concern. Mostly the fact I have not had a chance to operate the new wireless link for the buddy box. But also not having actually completed the process of maiden flights left some reservation as well. I could have overcome the last two easily but the cabane was to much.
I have been told there is one magazine that may do an article, and, the gentlemen doing the photos for Jacquie also wants to do a small internet article. But to be quite honest, from the beginning all I wanted was to build a big and beautiful airplane, I called it my lifetime "McDaddy plane". Then I came across the Eagle, then Jacquie joined the quest, then I got to experience sharing my work with the owner. I don't think I will have another build as special as this one has turned out and I will treasure it.
I appreciate everyone on the forums joining me for this ride, good or bad, agree or disagree, sharing our work with the world is very rewarding but it takes you guys being here to make that happen.

Thank you to everyone!
I have been extremely busy doing all sorts of things, from (terminally) rolling my Gere Sport through the treetops (I only needed another 5 feet!), starting another airplane, and building, and then rebuilding computers so I not been around for a bit. Thank you for posting the pictures and yes, you are absolutely correct about the CG issue which is a common problem in more kits than I wish to talk about. Actually there was a kit in the 1980s that had the CG so far out of line that I know of no aircraft that survived the first flight and several folks tried. They all flew nicely until the power reduction.

It has been great to see the finished product and know that the builder is smart enough to make the correct decisions about system conditions. If it ain't right on the ground it ain't gonna get better in the air!

I went to test fly a new 100+ inch Extra on the 4th and the new Spektrum AR9110 power safe receiver gave up the ghost. Luckily that happened during my preflight and not in the air. Since some of the servos need non-standard voltages compared to most RX's I took it apart and packed it up.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
Well its nice to see someone fulfill their dreams, especially in this day and age... I hope you can get at those cabane bolts without having to cut into it.

Just goes to show you the stresses that go into the structure... if anyone understands the safety concern, she does, "do it right or don't do it at all"

John M,
I don't think the cabane mount is a stress issue but rather a bolt issue. The wing to cabane is a 4-40 through the wing mount and a tube through the cabane. The wing mount is held by two 6-32 bolt's into the wing with blind nuts on the back side. If I were taking a guess I would say those two 6-32's have backed out a turn. These type's of issues are also why I said when I return from the trip I was going to disassemble the plane, correct known issues, check for the unknown, and make the changes mentioned in previous post.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I have been extremely busy doing all sorts of things, from (terminally) rolling my Gere Sport through the treetops (I only needed another 5 feet!), starting another airplane, and building, and then rebuilding computers so I not been around for a bit. Thank you for posting the pictures and yes, you are absolutely correct about the CG issue which is a common problem in more kits than I wish to talk about. Actually there was a kit in the 1980s that had the CG so far out of line that I know of no aircraft that survived the first flight and several folks tried. They all flew nicely until the power reduction.

It has been great to see the finished product and know that the builder is smart enough to make the correct decisions about system conditions. If it ain't right on the ground it ain't gonna get better in the air!

I went to test fly a new 100+ inch Extra on the 4th and the new Spektrum AR9110 power safe receiver gave up the ghost. Luckily that happened during my preflight and not in the air. Since some of the servos need non-standard voltages compared to most RX's I took it apart and packed it up.
Hi Jim,
Yep you have been busy, to busy. The CG of the kit is not the issue, although you are correct about kit CG's, but my math was incorrect as to the new CG after changing the wings and moving the engine forward of the listed point. The balance is another story of which I hope I don't get stirred back up. And I am glad to see a few understood that concept and it will be corrected in the next week or so.
Very glad the Extra showed the issue on the ground and not in the air. I know a lot of guys at my field have issues with Spektrum, that's not to say it is a Spektrum thing, but a thing just the same.
One last note, I hold to the notion that if it ain't right on the ground it will get worse in the air. LOL!

Last edited by acerc; 07-07-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM
John_M_

I don't think the cabane mount is a stress issue but rather a bolt issue. The wing to cabane is a 4-40 through the wing mount and a tube through the cabane. The wing mount is held by two 6-32 bolt's into the wing with blind nuts on the back side. If I were taking a guess I would say those two 6-32's have backed out a turn. These type's of issues are also why I said when I return from the trip I was going to disassemble the plane, correct known issues, check for the unknown, and make the changes mentioned in previous post.
i see, I thought it came loose where the cabanes attach to the fuselage... 4-40 seems a bit light for the wing attachment... I tend to go overkill on that stuff, like 6-32, or maybe even 10-24 on a plane that size... it's a shame they don't make nyloc T-nuts, they would come in handy in areas like this.

You are right about the first several flights being considered part of the maiden process... its just like in the RW, there's a process of eliminating the potential weak areas before anything is certified airworthy.. and the fact you found those loose bolts just proves what I said previously about your meticulous maintenance regiment.

I knew someone back a few years that was a damn good RC pilot, flew by the seat of his pants, but his aircraft's didn't last him more than a season because he was so reckless in his thinking, he just didn't give a damn, typical barn stormer / daredevil mentality... but then again calculated risks is what pushes a pilots skills and improves their skill level, but with this guy it was all out or nothing... he would have flown with those loose bolts and said I'll fix it later.

John M,
Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
stevegauth30

Mee too i wish they made Nyloc T nuts. That would be great.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
John_M_

You could always try and silver solder a nyloc nut to the back side of a "T" nut, but the temperature would be difficult to control to prevent the nylon insert from melting... some low low temp solder may work.... or maybe silver solder a "flexloc nut", or "cleveloc Nut" to a "T" nut; both are all metallic / deformed nuts that provide resistance to the threads.

John M,
Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Jim Branaum

If it turns out that you are correct about the 6-32's backing out, I have ONE warning (from experience - where else!?! LOL) DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF BOLTS ON TOP OF THE BLIND NUTS! That can (probably will) cause the bolts to break and the top wing to depart the aircraft. Under those conditions you have to be very lucky and very good to recover the aircraft and repair it. Lucky in that it has to happen at the right place and you have a landing place readily available and very good because you have to have the faith to bury the nose and throttle to keep the flying speed way up because when it stops flying the party is all over. This makes flaring a real trick!

It turns out what happens is that as you do various maneuvers, the top wing shifts but that shift is hidden and is only seen as load on the structure. By adding bolts on top of the T nuts, you will have taken the 'slack' out of that part of the structure that flexes so the movement is applied totally to the bolt. The struts just are not enough to hold that top wing on even if this happens to occur at the top of an Immelman, which is where my Super Stinker came apart. That was one hell of a landing! The hardest part was NOT watching the top wing flip its way to the ground.

In short, add lock washers to the bolts AND use Locktite and put those on your preflight list.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:18 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for posting that Jim
I have an unfinnished cl biplane that uses 4 40 bolts thruogh strut pads into T-nuts and lower wing attach bolts into T-nuts.
I will revist those areas before closing up the structures

Ken
Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 PM
acerc

Good discussion and info. But as it stands I really have no idea as to the cause, but will find out soon enough. I have used plastic epoxied to the backside of T-Nut's, drilled and then tapped with the bolt, as a lock before. In this situation thread lock would do the trick of which I think I did. It could turn out as simple as needing a shim where the bolt goes through the wing and cabane mount. But this is all just speculation for now. As for the 4-40, if I did not think it was up for the task I would not have used it, I think the brass would tear before the bolt broke. I also have 4-40 bolts attaching the wings to the struts and they are 1-1/2" and 2".

As for Jim's scenario, if the top wing came loose it would be all over. There is no way the bottom wing tube would hold with the planes full load.

Last edited by acerc; 07-07-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.