Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have gathered from speaking with BIll at Super Dri, is that with our temps one can not over pre heat. Now I do have to say I told him the hottest my engine would see is 300° and I am sure the exhaust is a bit hotter. He said the ideal temp for injection is 800° and that is on a turbine. He says, technically in an open environment the flash point is 240°, but for our application the hotter the better. So! I may be adding another wrap or two, we'll see.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:44 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Good information to know Robert!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by John_M_
I wasn't being funny, nor was I accusing your acquaintance of using it... <SNIP>

John M,
Didn't anyone ever tell you not to tell the kids to put beans in their noses? Sure as you do, at least ONE will try it because of not understanding the nature of the warning and thinking it is a joke.

What I have seen very strongly suggests that if you mention something that is totally stupid there are some that rush to try it no matter what because you must not be very bright and did it wrong and they know better. End of rant sir.

To all: I did not say that *I* was involved in making my own smoke oil, rather someone I have little respect for is. Again, end of rant.

SuperDri is the best answer I know of and they know how to get the best results. One of the things I was told years ago was that preheat was somewhat more important that us modeling folks figured. I am glad you are getting the straight scoop.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM
acerc

Calm down Jim, I at least was not accusatory I don't believe, just good general discussion in my opinion. Some ramble on more than others and their meaning gets somewhat lost, but, that is the nature of some old farts.
As for the other stuff, well, one can get some good laughs telling certain types of people certain things. You know what I mean!
I currently have a question awaiting answering from Bill (Super Dri), probably be in the morning. I asked him, based on the photo I sent him, would he do more than four wraps?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM
acerc

I just got an email from Bill at Super Dri, after seeing my set-up he says he has some ideas and would like me to call him tomorrow. Is this a great hobby or what, what other venue would an individual at a company take such an interest is my attempt to get the best possible outcome? Simply amazing!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 PM
acerc

I have also been emailing with Xoar about where I can get one of their 3 blade 32x16 props. Turns out it is a special order product, shipped directly. We are currently conversing on what would be best a 34x16x3 or 33x14x3. J
Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by acerc
I just got an email from Bill at Super Dri, after seeing my set-up he says he has some ideas and would like me to call him tomorrow. Is this a great hobby or what, what other venue would an individual at a company take such an interest is my attempt to get the best possible outcome? Simply amazing!
Yeah. I used to use standard hobby filters on my gassers. I stopped doing that when I was doing touch and goes at a field that had a cable fence perimeter and the engine quit just after being committed to the go around. Of course it happened when I was visiting out of town. Picked up my trash and started to look for the reason the engine quite. Noticed the fuel line to the carb was dry and then noted that the fuel line to the filter was not. Was at a John Deere place complaining it a few days later because that was the second bird I ate because of plugged inline filters. The parts guy commented that I needed to use a small lawn tractor type of filter. He explained to me that they are better than hobby filters for 2 or 3 reasons. First they allow a lot more gas to pass as they are designed to support 20+ horsepower engines. Second they don't clog on the same amount of debris. He said that IF I got one of his filters to plug up, I must have raked the yard and put it in my fuel tank. The reason is that they use fan fold paper as the filter media so it has lots and lots of surface area to pass gas. I don't recall the third reason because the second grabbed my attention. I bought 10 of them and use one in each gasser. They are somewhat of a problem as the line attach point needs to be reduced to hobby size, but that is not a show stopper.

Since I made that move, I have never even had a cough due to a plugged filter. I have had difficulties with the first start of the day as the filter needed to be filled, but that is a very small price to pay. I have to be creative to find a place to mount them (laying down makes for easier starts than standing up) and they need to be secured, but that is part of the small price of assured engine performance.

Again, YMMV
Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 PM
uncletwist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Yeah. I used to use standard hobby filters on my gassers. I stopped doing that when I was doing touch and goes at a field that had a cable fence perimeter and the engine quit just after being committed to the go around. Of course it happened when I was visiting out of town. Picked up my trash and started to look for the reason the engine quite. Noticed the fuel line to the carb was dry and then noted that the fuel line to the filter was not. Was at a John Deere place complaining it a few days later because that was the second bird I ate because of plugged inline filters. The parts guy commented that I needed to use a small lawn tractor type of filter. He explained to me that they are better than hobby filters for 2 or 3 reasons. First they allow a lot more gas to pass as they are designed to support 20+ horsepower engines. Second they don't clog on the same amount of debris. He said that IF I got one of his filters to plug up, I must have raked the yard and put it in my fuel tank. The reason is that they use fan fold paper as the filter media so it has lots and lots of surface area to pass gas. I don't recall the third reason because the second grabbed my attention. I bought 10 of them and use one in each gasser. They are somewhat of a problem as the line attach point needs to be reduced to hobby size, but that is not a show stopper.

Since I made that move, I have never even had a cough due to a plugged filter. I have had difficulties with the first start of the day as the filter needed to be filled, but that is a very small price to pay. I have to be creative to find a place to mount them (laying down makes for easier starts than standing up) and they need to be secured, but that is part of the small price of assured engine performance.

Again, YMMV

And some say size doe`nt matter

Last edited by uncletwist; 08-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Didn't anyone ever tell you not to tell the kids to put beans in their noses? Sure as you do, at least ONE will try it because of not understanding the nature of the warning and thinking it is a joke.

What I have seen very strongly suggests that if you mention something that is totally stupid there are some that rush to try it no matter what because you must not be very bright and did it wrong and they know better. End of rant sir.

To all: I did not say that *I* was involved in making my own smoke oil, rather someone I have little respect for is. Again, end of rant.

SuperDri is the best answer I know of and they know how to get the best results. One of the things I was told years ago was that preheat was somewhat more important that us modeling folks figured. I am glad you are getting the straight scoop.

I suppose you're right about not suggesting it in the first place, but like you mentioned most individuals in this hobby have enough common sense not to try it... didn't mean to upset you Jim, I know you were not involved... i was not accusing anyone, just your comment struck a chord, and I replied in kind because I had just read elsewhere on anther board some were using E/G.

What I have gathered from speaking with BIll at Super Dri, is that with our temps one can not over pre heat. Now I do have to say I told him the hottest my engine would see is 300° and I am sure the exhaust is a bit hotter. He said the ideal temp for injection is 800° and that is on a turbine. He says, technically in an open environment the flash point is 240°, but for our application the hotter the better. So! I may be adding another wrap or two, we'll see.
Sounds like you got it sorted out... where you have the injection taps, you're right in that temp range... 1400 degrees is not uncommon right behind the exhaust valve as the exhaust gases are expelled... so where your injection points are, you're probably looking at several hunder degrees inside the exhaust header... then when you start injecting the smoke oil it will cool down some.

Calm down Jim, I at least was not accusatory I don't believe, just good general discussion in my opinion. Some ramble on more than others and their meaning gets somewhat lost, but, that is the nature of some old farts.
As for the other stuff, well, one can get some good laughs telling certain types of people certain things. You know what I mean!
I currently have a question awaiting answering from Bill (Super Dri), probably be in the morning. I asked him, based on the photo I sent him, would he do more than four wraps?
Be careful how you use the term old farts, lol, you're not so far behind you know

Originally Posted by uncletwist
And some say size doe`nt matter
Lol

I have also been emailing with Xoar about where I can get one of their 3 blade 32x16 props. Turns out it is a special order product, shipped directly. We are currently conversing on what would be best a 34x16x3 or 33x14x3. J

I hope they give you a better price going direct, justmodelprops is showing $275.85 for an xoar 34-16-3.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-26-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Be careful how you use the term old farts, lol, you're not so far behind you know
John M,
If they are not an Old Fart now then they are an Old Fart in training!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM
acerc

I just got off the phone with Bill of Super Dri and he says with our temps we can do as many wraps as we want, his words were "The hotter the better, your not going to over heat it". So I am going to go get some more copper and I think I will double up and do 8 wraps.

Last edited by acerc; 08-27-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 AM
acerc

I just received the price for a 32x16x3 from Xoar, $295 +shipping. Now I am tossing the idea of taking two-2 blades and making my own 3 blade.

Last edited by acerc; 08-27-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Jim Branaum

I just got off the phone with Bill of Super Dri and he says with our temps we can do as many wraps as we want, his words were "The hotter the better, your not going to over heat it". So I am going to go get some more copper and I think I will double up and do 8 wraps.
That is kind of what I expected and is consistent with other stuff I have heard. Two things. First you might look at putting the oil in and making your wraps to towards the exhaust valve - you know hot to hotter - that should help the cooling issue. When you get to the top, the oil is as hot as you are going to get it, so inject it on the 'downwind' side of the pipe right there. (See lots more work. smoke always is) The second is that you might build your injector in a 'special' manner and that might help the RPM loss. If the injector tube goes all the way across the pipe, it is not really causing a problem. If you put the small holes ( say .080 ?) on the downstream side of the pipe (so now you gotta have a way to identify that) I think it might help. For sure it will help keep the injector holes clear.

John_M I knew you did not mean me, I just hate it when something dangerous is put out where idiots can see and try it. The problem is that common sense isn't. Being in the hobby does not grant additional rationality. We have more than our 10% unfortunately. If you doubt that look at the videos that get posted. 40% birds hovering with their tails in the water of a swimming pool full of people and things like that stand as proof of my concerns. Yes, I can be anal but my club lost a story book field (700 feet paved and 2 story pavilion with a kitchen and almost 4000 square feet under cover) probably due to the antics of one of those kinds of guys. There was a formal loud complaint registered with the landlord by someone with the government about the individuals activities and suddenly we were given notice 'for business reasons'. Kind of makes me gun shy and I do no expect to see common sense applied.

Acerc, not upset, just calm and very careful.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 AM
acerc

Jim, you have inspired me. I went and got some more tubing and based on your suggestions above I will plug the end, drill a 1/32nd hole on the side, mark the hole with a permanent marker, insert the tube into the opening with the hole pointing down wind, braze it in position then do the eight wraps.
I will post a pic when done.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM
acerc

And here we are, eight wraps (5' of tube), hole in tube facing down wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	2116899  
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM
John_M_

That sounds like a good idea Jim, having the orifice facing downstream inside the header pipe... that should vaporize the oil nicely, as well as keeping the injector orifice nice and hot, reducing the chance of the oil caking and blocking the orifice (self cleaning in other words).

John M,
Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM
John_M_

And here we are, eight wraps (5' of tube), hole in tube facing down wind.
Damn Ace, you don't waste anytime, looks good... now go fire it up as see how it works!

***EDIT***

One observation Ace, push those check valves away from the exhaust pipe.. the one on the left side of the photo looks like its pretty close to the pipe... if its a rubber or plastic disc type check valve, you don't want to over heat the check valve body.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-27-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM
acerc

Damn Ace, you don't waste anytime, looks good... now go fire it up as see how it works!

John M,
The weather prohibits that from being done.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

Top notch Robert!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:07 PM
acerc

Lookie what I got for my birthday, Sweeeet! It is a 32cc Rampage from Redcat Racing, I haven't ran it yet but it look's to be a monster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	2117234  
Old 08-29-2015, 06:06 PM
squirrly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool!!
Happy Birthday, lucky dog!! Don't tell me your wife bought that for you...I'm jealous Dammit!! Looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy Bro.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by squirrly
That's cool!!
Happy Birthday, lucky dog!! Don't tell me your wife bought that for you...I'm jealous Dammit!! Looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy Bro.

Jeff
You got it, she is the best my friend.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:51 PM
John_M_

Isn't that cute... is it fuel or electric?

That's one area of RC I never got interested in... mainly because they're too close to the ground and blend in, I just can't see things that way easily.

BTW Happy Birthday, you're one step closer to becoming one of us old farts

***EDIT***

32cc gas / fuel, that's the way to go.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-29-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM
acerc

Isn't that cute... is it fuel or electric? It is gas, a definite plus.

BTW Happy Birthday, you're one step closer to becoming one of us old farts Thank you!

John M,
Currently searching for gearing options to slow it down. I not much for fast and wreck less, that just cost money in broke parts, as well as don't care much for the Baha style. So, I have raised the body to give it more of a monster truck look. I'm not much for speed but rather quick and agile so I am looking to set this thing up just like the full scale counter parts, a "Real" monster truck.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:03 PM
acerc

Two thing's have prevented me from getting the Pitts back outside and done. One is the weather and the predominant factor is a print shop has my prop to verify the colors for on the vinyl for the new prop. The mew one (34x14) is painted and awaiting stripe to get clear coated, then I can tune the engine to it and re-assemble. They said in should be Monday, my fingers are crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.