Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
uncletwist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto what Ace said, plug it into your comp. and your ready to go takes 2 secs, I`ve never had a problem with mine, even after few a drops onto the floor, did break the high/low rates handle off though, but it stills works, due to the fact that there`s enough of the switch sticking out of the controller
Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM
uncletwist

Originally Posted by acerc
On RF's website it say's the add-ons 1-5 are free to download, just another major plus.
Keep in mind ,add- ons are free, there are "expansion packs" out there, they are not
Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uncletwist
Keep in mind ,add- ons are free, there are "expansion packs" out there, they are not
That is true. And if I'm not mistaken, from what I saw, one can get just about any airframe on the swap pages.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:52 PM
uncletwist

Originally Posted by acerc
That is true. And if I'm not mistaken, from what I saw, one can get just about any airframe on the swap pages.
Correct Ace, there are many planes to choose from on the swap page`s, however they don`t fly as good from one version of RF to another version, Example, if your using 7.5 and download a model from a previous version, it may or may not fly in 7.5 as well as the version it was released in, sometimes some tweaks have to made in the editor
Old 09-02-2015, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

My LHS has it setup on display in the shop so you can come in and try it out. He puts a lot of newbies wanting to get into the hobby on it to give them some experience. He'll guide them into a low cost foamy ARF to start and it really helps their success rate. Works a lot better than the build, crash, rebuild, crash again routine I used starting out in the 70s.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats the whole idea behind this real flight, I never got interested in it... once you learn the basics, up is up, and down is down, and you keep some distance between the model and the ground... do you really need a simulator to do that?... once I learned the concept of flying the model towards myself and pushing the controls sticks to the low wing to keep the wings level, what more do you need to know, just practice.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-02-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM
acerc

For
Originally Posted by John_M_
Whats I whole idea behind this real flight, I never got interested in it... once you learn the basics, up is up, and down is down, and you keep some distance between the model and the ground... do you really need a simulator to do that?... once I learned the concept of flying the model towards myself and pushing the controls sticks to the low wing to keep the wings level, what more do you need to know, just practice.

John M,
For me the point is the same as having built this Pitts, I want it. And it does help get better orientation of the thumbs when wanting to fly something other than simple circles.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
John_M_

Well I can see its advantage for beginners, and maybe the helicopter nuts.

But what if the flight characteristics of the model in real flight is off... lets say in real flight the model stalls at a slower airspeed than the actual model... it gives you a false perception of what to expect from the actual model; its not something I would like to rely on... but having leaned the old school way with someone standing there to bail me out when I got into trouble, and not having any experience with real flight; to some it maybe beneficial... but my way of thinking, once you learned with an instructor alone side you how to keep it out of the ground, hands on practice flying with the actual model seems to be the way to go... I don't see real flight helping if one gets disoriented, that will happen in real flight just as easily as flying the actual model... I think to keep disaster from happening, one should know their flying skill limits and practice improving their skills at a reasonable altitude to recover from.

I don't know, virtual flying never got me intrigued enough to get into it.

John M,
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
stevegauth30

I've been using a lot lately to learn more advanced maneuvers than stalling and landing and such. I can't see learning flat spins and knife edge spins with a $2000 + plane. Once I have the muscle memory down, I'll try it in real life. Then learn another maneuver. I wish real life had a reset button, but it don't. As for someone who mainly flies left hand patterns and lands, its probably not worth much.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 PM
uncletwist

test test test

Last edited by uncletwist; 09-03-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: to delete
Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
uncletwist

John M, RF helps newcomers to the hobby, my son used it, and flew three PERFECT flights and landings with my T-28, I was amazed, His comment at the end of the day, WOW, RF really helped.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 PM
John_M_

Oh, without a doubt, I can see how it would help someone just learning... it would help in orientation when flying towards oneself.

I was fortunate enough to have a seasoned flyer help me, Bill Burl was his name, the guy could fly with his eyes closed... I remember when we first meet, I had a Q-tee 1/2A 2 channel plane... he didn't even look it over, we started it up, tweaked the main needle on the cox tee dee 051 and I hand launched it for him.... the plane was all over the place, up, then down, right, then left... I said whats the matter Bill, he shouted out, you got the controls backwards... next thing I see, he flips the transmitter around and sticks the antenna out backward under his arm, the plane stated flying right, he flew it around until the engine quit and made a nice landing... I said to him, how the hell did you manage to control that with the controls backwards, he said I flipped the transmitter upside down, that put the controls in the correct orientation... anyone else, and the plane would have been in pieces... the guy could fly every aerobatic maneuver, with any aircraft... I still to date can not fly like he does, I can fly most aerobatic maneuvers.. sure practice makes perfect, but some people have the minds eye, and the knack to fly by the seat of their pants.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-03-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
uncletwist

Oh, without a doubt, I can see how it would help someone just learning... it would help in orientation when flying towards oneself.

I was fortunate enough to have a seasoned flyer help me, Bill Burl was his name, the guy could fly with his eyes closed... I remember when we first meet, I had a Q-tee 1/2A 2 channel plane... he didn't even look it over, we started it up, tweaked the main needle on the cox tee dee 051 and I hand launched it for him.... the plane was all over the place, up, then down, right, then left... I said whats the matter Bill, he shouted out, you got the controls backwards... next thing I see, he flips the transmitter around and sticks the antenna out backward under his arm, the plane stated flying right, he flew it around until the engine quit and made a nice landing... I said to him, how the hell did you manage to control that with the controls backwards, he said I flipped the transmitter upside down, that put the controls in the correct orientation... anyone else, and the plane would have been in pieces... the guy could fly every aerobatic maneuver, with any aircraft... I still to date can not fly like he does, I can fly most aerobatic maneuvers.. sure practice makes perfect, but some people have the minds eye, and the knack to fly by the seat of their pants.

John M,

I`m guessing that`s the day you learned to do a preflight
Old 09-05-2015, 04:18 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Robert,
Glad to see you have RF 7.5 now. Like I said it runs so much smoother. Anyhow go grab my WACO, search for waconuts white and blue with numbers. When you find the download page for the color scheme you will have to download the model as shown on the page and the waconuts AV file. The AV file sets the planes size and flight characteristics.

The plane fly's very close to mine and the landings are spot on, if you do not set it down just right she bounces.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	waconutdarkbluewithnumbers11111.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2118157  
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by WacoNut
Robert,
Glad to see you have RF 7.5 now. Like I said it runs so much smoother. Anyhow go grab my WACO, search for waconuts white and blue with numbers. When you find the download page for the color scheme you will have to download the model as shown on the page and the waconuts AV file. The AV file sets the planes size and flight characteristics.

The plane fly's very close to mine and the landings are spot on, if you do not set it down just right she bounces.
Later!!
Anthony
Loaded and flown, very cool my friend.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:51 AM
acerc

There is a lot of planes in those pages!!!

Last edited by acerc; 09-05-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:59 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by uncletwist
I`m guessing that`s the day you learned to do a preflight
I did, I was just a young kid then... my thinking was, you pushed the stick up, the plane went up, pushed the stick down, the plane went down... of course Bill and the guys gave me a hard time about it, I was laughed at, joked around with, all in good fun... got it all sorted out and we had a great time with that old Q-tee... I had a interesting solo flight, where Bill snuck back to the pits while I was flying, when the engine quit. I turned to give Bill the transmitter for him to land it; to my surprise he wasn't standing there... I did pretty good on the landing, came up a little short, but not too bad for my first ever dead stick landing... when you look back, those were the good ol days, didn't seem like it at the time, but 1/2A was a lot of fun back then.

John M,
Old 09-05-2015, 07:48 PM
uncletwist

I did, I was just a young kid then... my thinking was, you pushed the stick up, the plane went up, pushed the stick down, the plane went down... of course Bill and the guys gave me a hard time about it, I was laughed at, joked around with, all in good fun... got it all sorted out and we had a great time with that old Q-tee... I had a interesting solo flight, where Bill snuck back to the pits while I was flying, when the engine quit. I turned to give Bill the transmitter for him to land it; to my surprise he wasn't standing there... I did pretty good on the landing, came up a little short, but not too bad for my first ever dead stick landing... when you look back, those were the good ol days, didn't seem like it at the time, but 1/2A was a lot of fun back then.

John M,
Hey John, every landing i did back in those days were dead stick, could only afford a two channel, they were all successful, except for one
Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

John M,
I never successfully taught with any method other than the buddy box. So I was teaching this guy to fly on a plane I would not have selected for a beginner (semi symmetrical wing) and he was getting close to being turned loose. His approaches were looking good and had been starting to stabilize and he finally had made a couple of touch and goes where I did not have to salvage things in a hurry. It was clear he was beginning to put things together. So I was standing there, almost bored thinking about letting him solo next flight, when the engine quit. I never said a single word, I just watched him perform. He landed on the runway perfectly. I told him that was a test and he passed so he could go fly alone.

It always gave me great pleasure to solo students but this guy turned out to be special. He moved and I heard from him more than 5 years later and he still had his trainer. I think I had heard from him when I tried to walk someone overseas through learning to fly on the internet. Luckily for him he did find a local instructor.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:16 PM
acerc

Thanks to Uncle twist and a very kind gent on the RF swap pages I now have my Pitts on my RF, same size, same weight, same flying attitude. I am one happy camper and I am getting lot's of practice.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 PM
uncletwist

Once again Ace, I`m glad I could help you out. I did`nt think that Doug could have made that AV as fast as he did. I knew he was good, but that blew me away. Hell, I would have spent a month on it easy. Have fun with it...
Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I never successfully taught with any method other than the buddy box. So I was teaching this guy to fly on a plane I would not have selected for a beginner (semi symmetrical wing) and he was getting close to being turned loose. His approaches were looking good and had been starting to stabilize and he finally had made a couple of touch and goes where I did not have to salvage things in a hurry. It was clear he was beginning to put things together. So I was standing there, almost bored thinking about letting him solo next flight, when the engine quit. I never said a single word, I just watched him perform. He landed on the runway perfectly. I told him that was a test and he passed so he could go fly alone.

It always gave me great pleasure to solo students but this guy turned out to be special. He moved and I heard from him more than 5 years later and he still had his trainer. I think I had heard from him when I tried to walk someone overseas through learning to fly on the internet. Luckily for him he did find a local instructor.

Well back then those cheap 2 channel radios didn't have the plug for the trainer cord... to date I've never used the buddy box trainer system... I wouldn't even try to teach anyone, or offer in flight assistance due to my eye sight, but I will assist with the ground support... I just don't have the peripheral vision to feel confident that I can be on top of things 100%... when I fly its like with u-control, I have to keep facing the model to keep it in my field of view... I would need someone at my back just in case I missed when the student got into trouble... I always have my inlaw fly with me just in case I loose sight of the aircraft, so he can bail me out, but I do pretty good as long as I keep it close.

The day is not too far away were someone will be able to teach via the internet, just look at the technology of the FPV UAV's.... wouldn't be as enjoyable as standing next to the person, but the technology is advancing rapidly, almost anything will be possible.

John M,
Old 09-07-2015, 01:41 PM
WacoNut

Hey Robert,
I downloaded the AV file, sweet the plane fly's great. I can hover it 6" off the ground with no issues. Can I try it with yours?

Have fun with it, flying my WACO on the sim really has helped my confidence with flying the model for sure.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-07-2015, 02:30 PM
stevegauth30

Let me guess. You cant get the plane on older versions like 3.5?
Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM
WacoNut

Steve,
You can probably load the plane into 3.5 but it may fly a bit different. Not sure but you can try.

I like the way the plane handles in RF, Robert has a winner on his hands.
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.