Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would not load on my 3.5, hence the new 7.5...
Anthony, edit the ailerons to 30° and the ele to 18°. That will make it pretty much identical to how mine flies, both low rates and high.
By the way, try dipping the tail in the water at Alpine lake and landing on the hillside. What a hoot!

Last edited by acerc; 09-07-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

That is funny, I also spent time landing my WACO on the same hill.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 PM
acerc

It is just soooo cool, especially when you get the sideways slide into a take-off.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 PM
uncletwist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Let me guess. You cant get the plane on older versions like 3.5?

You would be correct Steve, you`ll need 7.5 to get the plane
Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by uncletwist
Hey John, every landing i did back in those days were dead stick, could only afford a two channel, they were all successful, except for one
I feel pretty lucky then my first radio was a Heathkit 3 channel with KPS-9 servos. I liked having the straight line linear movement available on those servos. The downside was the size and weight.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:14 PM
acerc

12 O'clock high has come and gone, it was another great event put on by Frank Tiano. I only managed to get three flight's in but had a heck of a time, met some new great people, and watched a lot of folk's drool over the Eagle. It definitely need's a wash and polish after this weekend. One of the Pitt's brothers also stopped by, modracer07 (aka) Chris and pictured below, I think he liked it. I had planned on more flight's but after the first one this morning I went to swap the two blade for the three and found that it had two prop bolt's broke. But that did and does not take away the pure pleasure of the three flights I did get or the time spent this weekend enjoying this hobby and the many fantastic people in it.
The is a video of this morning's flight as soon as videographer, (aka) a good friend, has it loaded and pulls some still shots for me I will post them/it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-17 12.38.08.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2125950  
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM
uncletwist

Originally Posted by acerc
12 O'clock high has come and gone, it was another great event put on by Frank Tiano. I only managed to get three flight's in but had a heck of a time, met some new great people, and watched a lot of folk's drool over the Eagle. It definitely need's a wash and polish after this weekend. One of the Pitt's brothers also stopped by, modracer07 (aka) Chris and pictured below, I think he liked it. I had planned on more flight's but after the first one this morning I went to swap the two blade for the three and found that it had two prop bolt's broke. But that did and does not take away the pure pleasure of the three flights I did get or the time spent this weekend enjoying this hobby and the many fantastic people in it.
The is a video of this morning's flight as soon as videographer, (aka) a good friend, has it loaded and pulls some still shots for me I will post them/it.
Looking good there ace, glad to still her in one pc., sounds like you had a great day..
Old 10-18-2015, 01:27 AM
stevegauth30

And thats what its all about.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:24 PM
acerc

Here is the video of the first flight of the third day, nothing fancy, going to take it a bit easy with it until I feel confident it can handle the extra weight.
The extremely annoying noise in the background is twin waiting his turn to go up, you'll hear it when he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hui0rhSa7w8
Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Melchizedek

Glad you had a great weekend. Nice to see your baby fly again.

Kevin
Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
stevegauth30

It never gets old seeing it fly. I hope youll share a vid or two once you really get groovin with it. Any coupling issues? Have you played around with any mixes
Old 10-18-2015, 03:36 PM
acerc

Thanks guys. There are no coupling or mixes, it's all me. I have been taking it easy out of caution of the excess weight. But after this weekend I feel like there is no issue, it is a floater more or less. With the weight shift it touches down lightly which is a far cry from the previous thuds one could hear. The plan is to get it out to the field next Saturday and start a bit of wringing it out. I ordered new and better prop bolts today, should be here in two days. And I went and picked up the other few things I need to get it back right. Next time it should be running great, have the three blade, smoke working better, and the smoke working better. Also the wife is wanting to flex her muscle's a bit with her new video camera.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 PM
uncletwist

Thanks guys. There are no coupling or mixes, it's all me. I have been taking it easy out of caution of the excess weight. But after this weekend I feel like there is no issue, it is a floater more or less. With the weight shift it touches down lightly which is a far cry from the previous thuds one could hear. The plan is to get it out to the field next Saturday and start a bit of wringing it out. I ordered new and better prop bolts today, should be here in two days. And I went and picked up the other few things I need to get it back right. Next time it should be running great, have the three blade, smoke working better, and the smoke working better. Also the wife is wanting to flex her muscle's a bit with her new video camera.
Great flying there Ace. To keep weight in perspective, Just remember how much a 747 or a loaded C-5 weighs, that should ease your mind a little.. I hope....
Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats the total wing area of your 46% Pitts Ace?

The full sized Pitts has a total wing area of 125 square feet, that is 18000 square inches... multiply that by 46%, you get 57.5 square feet, or 8280 square inches... at 50 pounds gross weight, I get 13.9 oz./ sq ft wing loading... that is like a feather compared to my 1/4 scale super cub, which has a wing loading of 29.6 oz / sq ft... I do recall you mentioned your total wing area was less than 8280, but I forgot, too lazy to go looking, but even if it were 6280 square inches, that's still only 18.3 oz / sq ft.... at 60 pounds you would have a wing loading of 22 oz / sq ft @ 6280 square inches wing area, still very light wing loading.

John M,
Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM
acerc

According to my set of full scale S1-S plans the wing area is 98.47, ailerons 10.21, for a total wing area is 108.68 sqft, my Pitts weighs 49lbs 12.8oz.

Last edited by acerc; 10-20-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Billy J
My Feedback: (4)

glad to see you having fun Mr. Pitts,,,, its seems you love biplanes more the me !!!! NOT
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
John_M_

According to my set of full scale S1-S plans the wing are is 98.47, ailerons 10.21, for a total wing area is 108.68 sqft, my Pitts weighs 49lbs 12.8oz.
Well 46% of that would give you 15.7 oz / sq ft @ 7198 sq inches, or 49.9 sq ft wing area... its light as a feather in the air compare to my mono wing super cub, LoL... yours has a bit more weight on its legs when its on the ground though.

BTW, the full scale Pitts S1-S Wikipedia site says it has a 20 ft (240") wing span, and 125 sq ft wing area... aero-web site show it having 17.4 ft wing span, and 98.5 sq ft wing area... maybe there was a clip version, or the person that posted the spec's on wiki got it wrong... either way it would be safe to say your ol girl is hefty enough to take it at the wing loading she has.

John M,
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 AM
acerc

Sounds about right, it does not feel heavy on the sticks. I can't help what Wiki says, like I said I have a full set of Aviat S1-S plans. The plans are what I used for reference on the build.
You have to keep in mind Wiki is a volunteer shared info site. Also one has to remember the Pitts is a custom aircraft and every one whom order's one or build's one has many variations to choose from on the wing's and ailerons. These options change the wing length's, one can also make change's to the length just to make it more or less aerobatic.

Last edited by acerc; 10-20-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 AM
John_M_

Yes wiki is known to be off at times.

Your Pitts is just about a pound per square foot wing loading... to show just how light that is... one pound per square foot equals, 0.111of an once per square inch. Hehe, that's nothing

John M,
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM
acerc

I have ran the numbers and came to the same conclusion, it is light in the sadle. I even went comparing it to a bunch of ARF's listed weight's. My point on "taking it easy because of the weight" is because EMHW list a weight of 33+lbs. I don't know if their + is up to 49lb 12.8oz, that is as stated earlier 16lb 12.8oz over 33lbs. After each flight I check thing's like the flying wire's for signs of overload stress and after six flight's have seen nothing. So from here on out it will be a "Fly it like I stole it" kind of Pitts, unless something in her tells me otherwise.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Robert

All this wing loading discussion has got my curiosity up ....... just what is the wingspan and wing chord of your model? You've already listed the weight at 49 pounds 12.8 ounces.

It does appear to fly light on the wing and certainly looks good in the air.

Your color scheme has been growing on me. I wasn't a fan at first but the more I see it in the air the better it looks - very striking!

Cheers,
Art
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
acerc

Top wing 95.6", Bottom wing 92.7", Wing chord 15".
Oh yeeaaa, I remember at the beginning how little fan fare there was towards this scheme. I believe most comments were something like "It's not a Pitts like that", most thought it had to be a sun burst red and white. But fortunately for me, I don't like to follow or blend in with the crowd.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by R/C Art
Hey Robert
Your color scheme has been growing on me. I wasn't a fan at first but the more I see it in the air the better it looks - very striking!

Cheers,
Art
Back when I was searching for a scheme for the scratch Sheber Pitts, I saw this scheme. I instantly knew I was going to do this scheme and that it was going to have to be on a much bigger frame than the Sheber. So I researched the Eagle, ordered the EMHW, and then a month later the same scenario happened with the Valach. And here I am, with a gorgeous airframe and a fantastic engine, life don't get no better!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:27 PM
John_M_

I have ran the numbers and came to the same conclusion, it is light in the sadle. I even went comparing it to a bunch of ARF's listed weight's. My point on "taking it easy because of the weight" is because EMHW list a weight of 33+lbs. I don't know if their + is up to 49lb 12.8oz, that is as stated earlier 16lb 12.8oz over 33lbs. After each flight I check thing's like the flying wire's for signs of overload stress and after six flight's have seen nothing. So from here on out it will be a "Fly it like I stole it" kind of Pitts, unless something in her tells me otherwise.
Well if its an exact 46% in wing span and chord, if it weighed 100 pounds, it would double the wing loading, to basically what my cub is, 30 - 32 oz / sq ft... whether the landing gear could take it is another question... but I think EMHW's 33+lbs spec's is based on the engine selection, and whether a smoke system is added, etc.

Did you email them to get their opinion on the weight?... the larger version on Toni's site (in the videos)... it has the same engine as yours, it weighs a few pounds more than yours, and probably has the same construction methods used and they're throwing that thing around the sky like it weighs nothing.

I don't blame you for taking it easy, a lot time and money went into it, you're handling it the right way... making the top wing one piece, strengthened it considerably, not to mention the little extra beefing you did as you were building... she is flying very nice in that last video, nice clean rolls, and the take off and climb out was very nice... the sound of that Valach 170cc engine, you have no idea how badly I would luv to put one of those in something.

John M,
Old 10-20-2015, 02:47 PM
John_M_

Top wing 95.6", Bottom wing 92.7", Wing chord 15".
Oh yeeaaa, I remember at the beginning how little fan fare there was towards this scheme. I believe most comments were something like "It's not a Pitts like that", most thought it had to be a sun burst red and white. But fortunately for me, I don't like to follow or blend in with the crowd.

That is considerably less wing area base off the full scale figure of 108.68 sq ft you posted earlier.... with a top wing of 95.6", and a bottom wing of 92.7", with a chord of 15" gives you roughly a total of 2824.5 sq / inches, or 19.6 sq ft of wing area... given those numbers, you're looking at 40.78 oz / sq ft, or 0.283 of an once per sq inch.... that makes more sense, so its not an exact 46% then.

John M,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.