Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you have not been to my club my friend. Not in a manner where you knew anything going on. There are a handful of us old farts that do everything. And "YES" I do mean most everything. Most others have other responsibilities such as working to take care of there families or they are just not interested. Ken, I am not angry or getting angry, just stating the facts and asking for others to do the same.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Then you have not been to my club my friend. Not in a manner where you knew anything going on. There are a handful of us old farts that do everything. And "YES" I do mean most everything. Most others have other responsibilities such as working to take care of there families or they are just not interested. Ken, I am not angry or getting angry, just stating the facts and asking for others to do the same.
would that be TRIPLE CREEK?
you should here what others have said about that club. but every one fits in somewhere I guess.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

your club's triple creek is it not ?

might of even pitted next to you dude .. and that day i think you bangged up some sport plane with a DLE 20 on it .. i forget .. you where a nice enough dude if your hte dude I am thinking of i am not saying a blanket statment here i am just saying the subject of FOG is really a problem with our hobby

and when i was there the officer dude and his minnion where doing work ,, just saying he was bald headed and 45 ish

hey we are off topic here point is the FOG attuide is really a bad vibe for the hobby and that's the attuide this guy has he's only going to grow as a FOG

and for the record age has nothing to do with being a FOG ...

Last edited by zacharyR; 09-09-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Tampaflyer

as for the OLD GUYS.. if you are offended you are probably one of them.. These are those that want to run the club their way, their way only.. NO helicopters, HATE electrics, NO jets, NO 3D.. you a new pilot.. WHERE's your AMA.. you CAN'T FLy Here till you have it. That's not the "right" plane.

You guys that act this way to new pilots are killing not only your club , but the entire AMA structure. These people ethier give up the hobby or go to a park. Both of which you lost a member.

And most of these times , these are the first to complain" When I started this club....." and" Why can't we attract new members"... LOVE'um

and last time ZACH organized an event.. all those "Complainers...club starters..." NO WHERE TO BE FOUND.... and the event was great.

What did I do.. found another club... and now my resources, time, effort, and expertise go to them.. I belong to multiple clubs.. and some I just "fly" , watch and listen.

Those clubs have taught me a lot... a lot of what not to do to promote a club or hobby.. or what ever.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Tampaflyer

ACERC.. your pics in you gallery look like Imperial..
so do you fly there or TCRCC?

Imperial is a good club , but too far for me.. been there for a couple events
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Rob2160

Any ideas how recently this comment was first made?

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.

Answer - - misattributed to Socrates but generally accepted to have originated in Ancient Greece- approx. 432 BC

Oldies always complain about kids and vice versa - the only thing that changes is where you sit in that equation..

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-09-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM
acerc

Imperial my friend. And at our club it is the OLD guys that do everything, mainly. And it is the club that runs the club. But it is a lot of work keeping it non political.
For the most part the handful of us that do everything do not mind, after all, we, at one time had all those responsibilities of raising a family as well. It is a great club and great people. I can literally say "All is welcome".
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Tampaflyer
as for the OLD GUYS.. if you are offended you are probably one of them.. These are those that want to run the club their way, their way only.. NO helicopters, HATE electrics, NO jets, NO 3D.. you a new pilot.. WHERE's your AMA.. you CAN'T FLy Here till you have it. That's not the "right" plane.

You guys that act this way to new pilots are killing not only your club , but the entire AMA structure. These people ethier give up the hobby or go to a park. Both of which you lost a member.

And most of these times , these are the first to complain" When I started this club....." and" Why can't we attract new members"... LOVE'um

and last time ZACH organized an event.. all those "Complainers...club starters..." NO WHERE TO BE FOUND.... and the event was great.

What did I do.. found another club... and now my resources, time, effort, and expertise go to them.. I belong to multiple clubs.. and some I just "fly" , watch and listen.

Those clubs have taught me a lot... a lot of what not to do to promote a club or hobby.. or what ever.
I would have to add that if you have ever been to IRCC you know we old guys are not like that, at least at my club. But the AMA thing is law, and always will be for our protection. But a new guy can fly under a sponsor/buddy club member.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM
acerc

As for the "FOG" attitude, in my experience it is not restricted to OLD guys. And yes, it is running amuck in many a club. How to stop it, vote them out!!!!

Last edited by acerc; 09-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Tampaflyer

agreed with the Imperial group. have had no problems there. but I was not trying to make any
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Any ideas how recently this comment was first made?

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.

Answer - - misattributed to Socrates but generally accepted to have originated in Ancient Greece- approx. 432 BC

Oldies always complain about kids and vice versa - the only thing that changes is where you sit in that equation..
So! The more thing's change the more they stay the same!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Rob2160

So! The more thing's change the more they stay the same!!!
Exactly right... my 5th grade teacher showed us this quote in class and we all had to guess when it was written..

I never forgot the point she made with it..
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club was not able to renew its land use agreement with the landowner (who wanted to do something more profitable with his land than let a small group of RC flyers use it). So as of June 2013 we have became "homeless ronin." After several months of quite intensive effort by the club president and others we still haven't got a new field. However, we have gotten permission to use one smallish area for electric-only flying. I have no electrics (and frankly don't want any since I fly exclusively WWI scale models). I'm not even sure a 1/4 scale electric would be welcome. There aren't many other options in my area of Japan and so things are not looking very hopeful. I guess I'll just continue to build my scale models in case eventually there will be a place to fly them.

But this might very well be the end of my RC flying in Japan.

Last edited by abufletcher; 09-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
SmokeScx10

Getting tired of hobby try this out for a try.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsRkesUi4Q
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by SmokeScx10
Getting tired of hobby try this out for a try.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsRkesUi4Q
Is this to remind us RC flyers not to complain, because no matter how bad things get, it could be worse? We could all be driving toy cars in the back yard!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM
acerc

Sorry to boring to get past about ten seconds. Even a real electric car makes more noise than those. I have been to a couple "Full Scale" rock crawling events and they were by no means silent.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:46 PM
oliveDrab

edited by user

Last edited by oliveDrab; 09-09-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: operator error
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I am not even close to getting out of the hobby. Just maybe the club. I am in the middle of a project that has taken me 2 years to get where I am, It is going to see it's completion.
What kind of power do you intend to put in your TA-152? Gas or electric (Well sure.....it could be electric)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
fred985

i read all the way to the end and agree almost totally. clubs generally suck. not only ac,,but yacht clubs etc. they mostly tend to be very clickish,,,if your not "in" they are just miserable. i flew my 450 stearman for 12 years out of a field that had up to 9 stearmans there at one time. if you werent in the clik it was no fun at all. heck, i usually went someplace elsewhen they had a fly-in. the rc clubs are much like this, not friendly and very cliky. i have lots of land in a farming area so i just fly by my self. i wish i had a j3 because i have over 3300 fett to land. anyway,,clubs will never change , motorcycle clubs are just as bad. ride 60 miles, make a pain-in-the-butt of them selves at some burger joint and ride back 60 miles and talk all week about their "big ride" ,,,,i only belong to comercial deals now. pay for the dockeng and have little to do with the social end of things. clubs just will never change, never, never!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
SmokeScx10

Sorry to boring to get past about ten seconds. Even a real electric car makes more noise than those. I have been to a couple "Full Scale" rock crawling events and they were by no means silent.
Next time i will do some dragster sounds to match the video for you i was trying to make a funny... you know... knock knock??? whos there queen??? queen...queen who queen my dishs please... got it know...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default I Was Getting Fed Up With the Hobby!

There was a time when I was getting fed Up With The Hobby; and here's what happened, I used to put a lot of effort into helping my Club out, it seemed like it was the same group of guys doing all the work and I was one of those guys; I didn't mind being one of those guys, held club officer positions, I would often head up projects, tasks, events to get stuff done, until I got totally tired of people who didn't take on the responsibility or initiative to be the boss or lead person, etc; but yet they would be the first to tell you how to do it, or how to do it better or ask why you did it this way or that way; I started to not enjoy the sport, didn't bother flying much or attend meetings or events; so then I stopped being one of those guys and I no longer head up any projects or tasks or events, if I'm asked to help, I will gladly help; I now enjoy the hobby again, mind my own business and keep to myself, have fun and most importantly fly as often as I can, I will help if needed, but don't ask me to be in charge ever again and the only time I go to a club meeting is when I have something to ask or say; I know, crappy attitude, but at least I can enjoy the Hobby again!

Last edited by dasintex; 09-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
What kind of power do you intend to put in your TA-152? Gas or electric (Well sure.....it could be electric)
It is getting a G62. I am going to put a can on it to conceal the exhaust. Target weight is around 24lbs.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
Wow!! This is really nice work on the cockpit ... REALLY nice!!

This is the one BIG thing that always concerns me with these "lightening holes." While the concern is to lighten the weight of the model, I think these holes are unnecessary, or just too large. Whereby leaving very little wood for strength in critical places such as this in the wing root, and fuselage. For me, I'd rather have the strength than the ounce or two (or 4) taken off by these holes.

Thanks for the compliments. This is at the beginning stages of framing. There is a significant amount of would that has been added. That is the sub leading edge as it had another added after the wing sheeting. I promise, this aircraft will not be weak!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM
vertical grimmace

I want to make a few comments as the OP here. First of all, I do not, or we do not have an Old guy problem in our club. If anything, I get along better with them.

Now, I do not want to go down the bash ARF road, but I want to express some observations, having been in this hobby solid since the early 1980's.

I know many fliers that have never flown anything but ARF's. To me this is a shortcut to getting in the air. Cool, I do not have a problem with that. But, The shortcut mentality does not stop there. Like truly learning how to fly. Learning how to stall a wing properly so you can actually land. Having the ability to understand where and why the CG needs to be. Being able to fly a landing approach right hand or left hand, in case of wind changes. Being able to recognize poor construction, so these issues can be corrected for safety reasons. Knowing how to properly terminate your control rods for safety. It goes on and on. These are big issues with how big and powerful these aircraft have become. We had a 50cc sized plane fold up a wing this past weekend just because of this.

These skills are learned when building. The AMA not giving out a rule book with membership does not help either. There was a lot of aircraft set up info in there. Termination techniques that were allowed and not allowed. So I understand not having time, and wanting to fly. I understand many started out building, and now are mainly ARF assemblers. That is cool. Great for the hobby. But for those that have no foundation or background in the construction, are at the mercy of the quality of the manufacturer. This seems to be lacking in most cases.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM
ARUP

I agree with you wholeheartedly, VG, except that I'm in this hobby for my own selfish interests pure and simple. I don't care what anybody thinks of my airplanes and I don't build them to please anyone but me...me... ME! I'm all about Edwardian, WWI, some civilian and especially Golden Age racing planes. I'm sick to death of stupid 'hover' 3-D airplanes (get a helicopter), quad-octo doofus things and P-51's. I may just get hate mail but see if I care!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.