Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014

Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the links, I am planning to be at the IOK DP Saturday. The video shows the field to be quite spacious. Looking forward to seeing all of you guys there.

best regards,

Greg Emerick
Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Well...well....well...as fate would have it...I am going to maiden my BUSA Mc Camel #2... at IOK again!
For fyi I tried to take it up for a maiden 2 wks. ago ....very close to a epic fail! 22secs up and down..........
Made some big changes and I am ready to share my triumph or epic failure with some of my closest Dawn Patrollers on Saturday
Lee thanks for posting the video...I think it will inspire me to have the plane ready for Saturday..........

Cheers,
HPA
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPA: so was it an Epic success at IOK on Mc Camel?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Originally Posted by FireBee
HPA: so was it an Epic success at IOK on Mc Camel?
Yeah.... I would say so..... I rushed the landing and pranged the rudder alittle.....BUT the takeoff and flying around... was pretty good.
I took the plane down to wings for kids this past weekend and let Frank "Platinum thumbs" Noll trim the plane out and give me some advice on some recommendations to correct my flight controls... It will be finished at ODP!

HPA
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Lee, I understand you're at the ODP right now but when you get a chance to reply what news as there of the DPR? We're about nine weeks out and it feels like its finally about to happen.lol
Doc
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 AM
WinterHawke

Originally Posted by geezeraviation
Lee, I understand you're at the ODP right now but when you get a chance to reply what news as there of the DPR? We're about nine weeks out and it feels like its finally about to happen.lol
Doc
Good morning, Doc

Apologies to all for not keeping current on this thread - it's been a hectic year so far (and not nearly enough of it about airplanes).

We currently have 48 registered R/C participants of DPR '14 - Doug Cox and I compared paperwork this weekend, and I'll be sending out updates to all this week (now that ODP is on the record, and I don't have to travel for a handful of days).

No major changes to the previously published schedule of events for Dayton - the only change of note so far is on Friday when the Museum plans to have a "Media Op" for the press - because of their own schedule conflict within the Museum they've changed the timing of it to Friday morning instead of the afternoon. Doesn't affect us at all, as it's primarily focused on the full-scale planes, with everyone else filling in as need be.

A note to all - due to us being way behind on the paperside of the event, we're extending the registration deadline to the weekend of August 16-17 (Hoosier Dawn Patrol). I had planned to request the extension of the Museum at our last meeting, but the re-enactors beat me to it!! Seems all groups, including the full-scale folks, are running behind!! HDP is about as late as Doug and I can go, and still get our event shirt order into our supplier.

More updates this evening.

Lee McDuffee
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Lee, great job as CD at ODP. You let the boys continue to dogfight and it was awesome! I will be back next year.

I hope you all have a good HDP and Dayton event. Be on the lookout for this smokin bandit and check is AMA license twice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	2017418   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2017419  

Last edited by FireBee; 07-25-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:38 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by WinterHawke
Good morning, Doc

Apologies to all for not keeping current on this thread - it's been a hectic year so far (and not nearly enough of it about airplanes).

We currently have 48 registered R/C participants of DPR '14 - Doug Cox and I compared paperwork this weekend, and I'll be sending out updates to all this week (now that ODP is on the record, and I don't have to travel for a handful of days).

Lee McDuffee
OK, now I'm worried. The last email I got from you (Lee) was on 1 Apr 14. I will send you an email and see if it goes through.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:40 PM
WinterHawke

Originally Posted by radfordc
OK, now I'm worried. The last email I got from you (Lee) was on 1 Apr 14. I will send you an email and see if it goes through.
Good evening, Charlie

You should have an Email by now from me.

All is on schedule for this year's Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. We're ordering our shirts now based on the 65 registered participants we've received, plus a team of 5 coming down from Balsa USA. The museum notes that hotel reservations should be done by now, as the hotels are completing their Dawn Patrol discounts.

Got an email asking about the flying - so that everyone is clear, we will be running a similar schedule to previous years - we will be alternating with the full-scale aircraft, plus flying first thing mornings and after the event in evenings (excepting when we're at the Friday Meet and Greet or the Sunday night banquet.

Let me know what information you need, and I'll email and post here - I'll also put out more detail stuff as we get closer.

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 PM
jumpinjan

Lee,
I'm making a layout of the 2014 venue (on my computer to scale), and I'm using Dave Thomas' napkin drawing of the 2014 venue (I hope you have seen it, I'm sure you have). He has the RC runway moved from the original north-south direction back to the original site of east-west. Is that in agreement with you (maybe we could discuss this on the phone if you like?)
Jan
(Can I get a shirt too?)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
geezeraviation

OK whats the deal? There should be some chatter going on here. Isn't anyone but me excited about being less than a month to the DDPR. I think I heard Lee say somewhere that there were about 65 pilots registered, WEO that's a lot of WWI hardware all goin to be in one place. This is exciting I'm excited!!!! Road trip!!! Cmon you guys loosen up.lol Dont ask or I'll tell y'all how I really feel. ROADRIPROADTRIPROADTRIP!!! OK I dont get out often.
Doc
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geezeraviation
OK whats the deal? There should be some chatter going on here. Isn't anyone but me excited about being less than a month to the DDPR. I think I heard Lee say somewhere that there were about 65 pilots registered, WEO that's a lot of WWI hardware all goin to be in one place. This is exciting I'm excited!!!! Road trip!!! Cmon you guys loosen up.lol Dont ask or I'll tell y'all how I really feel. ROADRIPROADTRIPROADTRIP!!! OK I dont get out often.
Doc
Doc, now try to control yourself.

Yes, this is going to be a big gathering of everything WW1 .......

Yes, I am getting excited about the Rendezvous, but for a lot of us it is just another Dawn Patrol event in a long list of events.

Yes, it might be just a little bit more special than some others, but after the IOK in May, the ODP in July and then the HDP in August, it will have to be a lot of special to be significantly better.

You know, immediately after the Dayton Dawn Patrol Rendezvous, there is still another event of great significance, namely the Mid-Atlantic Dawn Patrol at Virginia Beach. Dayton finishes up on Sunday evening with the big banquet and then the MAD Patrol begins just 3 days later on Wednesday. Just gas up your vehicle and head EAST!

All kidding aside, each event has features which are unique from all the other events. All are significant and all are not to be missed if at all possible. There are other Dawn Patrols which I have not been able to work into my schedule which are also noteworthy - Rhinebeck, Long Island Dawn Patrol and the Southern Dawn Patrol to mention the next 3 on my list. I wish I could attend them all.

SEE YOU IN DAYTON!

Last edited by R/C Art; 08-28-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Doc, I am ready to go, my flying buddy (who going for the first time) is more excited than I am. We talk about it every time we get together. In May he got a 1/3 scale BUSA Dr-1, he thought he might have it ready by September. I had to slow him down, do it right the first time, that it would take a lot of time to get completed. I am helping him when he asks.

Problems on the horizon, my trucks new engine has another oil leak. I have a 2001 Ford F150 that I bought new in 01, a year and a half go the engine locked up, it had 76300 miles on it at the time. I bought a new rebuilt engine had it installed, all is good. A few months later rear main seal leaking oil, under warranty all is good. Two months ago oil leak, front main seal leaking, replaced seal, get it home. More leaks, this time the oil pan his leaking. This latest work is still under warranty, but must be done before the warranty expires in Feb, 2014. The shop said they have to pull the engine to repair the leak (gasket). I still only have 14000 miles on the new engine. I hope this can be completed before we go the Dayton. This is my truck I haul my airplanes!!!

With all that said, I am very excited to have another road trip, but the War Birds Over Tulsa (Sept 7-8) does not look good.

It will be great to put faces to all the guys and airplanes who are on the forums

See you all next month
Rich
Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

I'm excited!

Name:	Elf.gif
Views:	32
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	2026792  

Last edited by Lucky Dog; 08-28-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:42 AM
geezeraviation

Thanks Mike, that's just about it.
It's tough to have to travel so dang far for these type of events. There use to be a dawn Patrol event near San Antonio but low turnout caussed it to fizzle out after about five years. I CD'd a Dawn Patrol at Bomber field for three years and never had more than a dozen pilots so club support was lost. I fly at many of the warbird events in the area but it's rare for there to be more than five or six WWI type aircraft to show up, at the District 8 Rally last weekend there were four and one of those was a Jenny. I managed to make the Blue Max last January and have been planning this trip for as long as I can remember. Next year I want to try to make either the ODP or the HDP, both would be good buy not likely. Any way you betcha, I'm excited!!
Doc
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Hilarious but accurate video Mike! I am pumped up too! The Rendezvous is a major WWI historical commemoration event and I am really looking forward to it! I am going to set my alarm clock extra early to make the real dawn patrols!

Greg
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone received any information about their registration or that their check has cleared?

Rich
Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 AM
geezeraviation

My check cleared ages ago Rich. Lee just placed the shirt order following the HDP (he held registration open till then) so I imagine things will begin to gell soon.
Doc
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Horsepoweraviation

I usually have this reserved for Art .......BUT it seems fitting for my two buddies....Leebert and Douglas

LEEBERT!!!! DOUGLAS!!!!

Lets get this party started!!!!!!!!

HPA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:	boot to ass.gif
Views:	98
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	2028596   Click image for larger version

Name:	hpadr1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2028599  
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 AM
FokkerD7
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by jwrich
Has anyone received any information about their registration or that their check has cleared?

Rich
Yep, by the way has anyone started cutting the grass for a runway?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Originally Posted by FokkerD7
Yep, by the way has anyone started cutting the grass for a runway?

Probably not...its alittle early..........
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Horsepoweraviation

To those people that are concerned about the details......I would say this to you guys. They are dealing with the government and both of them are out of town from where the event is held............. This event is going to be huge! The place is going to be PACKED! Lets start talking about what planes we are bringing in war wagons!

HPA

Last edited by Horsepoweraviation; 09-03-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: i farted
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello. It's me again. I know we are all used to getting confirmation and updates, especially with something as significant as this event!

One thing I do know, "as of this date, 3 September 2014, the event is scheduled to take place." I trust that as the month progresses someone with more "horsepower" than me will confirm this fact.

In lieu of any additional notification, I plan to go to the Air Force Museum on Thursday, the 24th of September 2014. From there I know I can get to show central of the Dayton Dawn Patrol Rendezvous because it is being held directly behind the museum.

So like HPA said "LOAD EM UP & MOVE EM OUT!"

I'll be bringing my 1/3 scale DR1 and part of the tail feathers to my 1/2 scale N-11......and of course will be accompanied by the Queen.......aka SWMBO, otherwise know as Rhonda.
(if she reads this I'm in trouble)

Last edited by R/C Art; 09-03-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Horsepoweraviation

1/2 D6 1/3 D7 1/4 D7 1/3 D6

HPA key players............

Come on lets see some of my TARGETS!

Name:	D6 S2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2028618   Click image for larger version

Name:	d7brn.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2028619   Click image for larger version

Name:	delld7.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	2028620   Click image for larger version

Name:	ooooooooooooo 011.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2028621  
Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I'll be arriving in Dayton late on Thursday and staying at the Red Roof Inn. Will be looking for the "action" early Friday morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.