Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:51 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bet! Been gathering up, organizing, charging sorting, packing oh my. I head out Tue AM, spend a night at Whits near Nashville and then get into Dayton on Wed.
Got any 28 X 8 or 10 Art? I bought a prop from a guy (vendor) at the Blue Max and It was only 35 bucks and works good. I sanded the name off of it and refinished it and cant remember what it was but it was some oddball name like Bluebird or something. Good price and its a good looking stick too.
See ya next week
Doc
Old 09-20-2014, 03:21 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Doc,

I think I might. As mentioned, I have several sizes from which to choose..........

I have flown this brand for several years and performance has been very good.........and they are less expensive than what you mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PK Props 005.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2033654  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:07 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Dayton weather couldn't look better!

Friday 09/26 80 | 55 °F
Friday 0% Precip. Sunny skies. High around 80F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Friday Night 0% Precip. Clear skies. Low near 55F. Winds light and variable.

Saturday 09/27 80 | 54 °F
Saturday 0% Precip. Sunny skies. High near 80F. Winds light and variable.

Saturday Night 0% Precip. Clear skies. Low 54F. Winds light and variable.

Sunday 09/28 78 | 57 °F
Sunday 0% Precip. A few clouds from time to time. High 78F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 AM
WinterHawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the same forecast with some amazement - I'm hoping those prognosticators are right for a change!!!

Frantically packing now (computer's next on the list!) in prep of heading south today.

Got an email from the Museum - they'll be sending out some information this weekend (last minute info and such) which I'll be forwarding along.

See everyone real soon!!!

Lee
Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM
geezeraviation

I started keeping an eye on weather on demand on the cable and the forecast makes one hopeful.
I'm packing and trying sooooooo hard not to forget the struts or something I might need.
Doc
Old 09-20-2014, 01:57 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Will there be the big tents for overnight storage for the models like have done in the past events? If this has been addressed I must have missed it. We will load some things into the truck tomorrow, we plan to leave about 4 am Wednesday morning, I do hope we will have better weather than the last couple of Patrols.

Take Care
Rich
Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
WinterHawke

Good morning, everyone

Made it down to Doug's house last night through some nasty storms in northern Indiana (as bad as I've seen in several years) - definitely glad our weather reports for next weekend look good!

Originally Posted by jwrich
Will there be the big tents for overnight storage for the models like have done in the past events? If this has been addressed I must have missed it. We will load some things into the truck tomorrow, we plan to leave about 4 am Wednesday morning, I do hope we will have better weather than the last couple of Patrols.

Take Care
Rich
Yes, We're supposed to have three of the large 20x40 storage tents with sides this year (one more tent than in 2011). Storage area was one of the first needs we gave to the Museum, knowing the increase in larger planes this year (both in quantity and size!).

Note: The storage tent will not have electricity (we're in the middle of a large field with no hookups). Everyone will need to work out going about charging their flying machines.

The Museum's David Thomas is going to be sending me an update today with maps, etc to forward to everyone - as soon as I get that I'll post here and email out. Meanwhile, Doug and I have errands to run today fetching some supplies and paperwork for the event.

Best regards,

Lee McD
Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Lee,

Rich
Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 AM
WinterHawke

Just received the update from David Thomas, Specials Events Coordinator at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, to forward to all of our R/C Participants and Guests:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Greetings All Participants: (Please forward to R/C Pilots)

The week of the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous is finally here. Many months of meetings, phone calls, registrations, preparations, and planning have occurred to get us to this point. I hope you all are excited to participate
in this 9th Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. I still have many things to do before you arrive, but wanted to give you this last and final update for your arrival.

1) Here's a look at the week ahead.
a) Thursday - arrival day. We have aircraft (those flying into Wright Field) arriving between 10am-noon and 2-4pm. We have trucked in aircraft arriving all day from 8am-5pm. We have all other participants (R/C pilots, autos, reenactors, and vendors) arriving between 8am-5pm. Everyone is to enter via the Spinning Rd gate on the back field of the Museum. Please see the attached map giving you an idea where it is located. Though you can get to the back field from the Main Museum complex, I would prefer you to come to the Spinning Rd gate because it is easier and quicker to get it. You will be issued your parking pass at the Spinning Rd gate upon your arrival.
- If you are coming from Rt 4 Hwy, take Harshman Rd south to Airway Rd.
Turn left (East) on Airway Rd to the first traffic light. Turn left into
the Spinning Rd gate (there is a Speedway gas station at this intersection).

- If you are coming from I-675, take exit 15 (Col Glenn Hwy). Follow
the exit to Col Glenn Hwy. Turn right at the end of the ramp onto Col Glenn
(you will see the back field to your right as you come down the hill). Turn
right at the Spinning Rd intersection into the gate (Speedway gas station at
this intersection).
Once you enter the gate, someone will direct you to the proper location on the field to go based on what participant group you represent.

b) Thursday night safety briefing (6:30pm in the Museum) - the safety briefing is for all pilots and their crew, ground marshaling crew, reenactors who are participating in the mock battle, Museum staff who will
be out on the flight line where the aircraft will be operated (hard surface runway area and the turf field area). If you do not make this briefing, we will have another one on Friday evening at 6:30pm). However, those who will be practicing during the dress rehearsal on Friday, need to make a good attempt to be at the Thursday night safety briefing. This will only be a 30 minutes safety briefing.

c) Friday morning Media Op. We need all the pilots and their crews to arrive at the back field (around 7:30am) ready to go over to the Restoration hangar to start bringing aircraft to the back field for the 10am Media Op. Between now and Friday, we will determine whether or not to bring the "static" aircraft to the field.
All other participants should arrive on the back field by 9:30am so they are ready to participate with the Media. At 10am, media will interact with all the participant groups, take photos and video, and do interviews. We will put aircraft into the air for "action" shots. Once the media op has concluded, we'll break for lunch on the field (food available on the field) and then at 1:30pm we'll begin our dress rehearsal.

d) Friday afternoon Dress Rehearsal. During the dress rehearsal, we'll discuss the overall schedule for both Saturday and Sunday (please view the schedule before you arrive: www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/wwi.asp ). Once we have discussed this with all groups, we will then practice flying the flights of aircraft. During this time we will be practicing the mock shoot down scenario that the planning team has developed. This will require pilots and reenactors. All others can continue doing set up of their areas. Plan is for everyone to finish up on the back field between 4-5pm.

- Mock Battle Scenario. The 2 hour block of full-scale flying will
consist of each aircraft flying in one flight of 4 aircraft. During the
last flight, the mock shoot down will occur. There will be an air-to-air
shoot down, an Allied Powers ground forces-to-air shoot down, and a Central
Powers ground forces-to-air shoot down. The aircraft that is shot down,
will turn on smoke after being shot, will land, the pilot will be captured
by opposing forces (reenactors pre-positioned), battle will ensue, and then
rescued by their own forces (reenactors pre-positioned). This will happen
each time the aircraft fly during the 2 hour block of time as the last
flight. This will occur 3 times on Saturday and 3 times on Sunday. Plan is
to have all the aircraft back on the ground by 4pm.

e) Friday evening Safety Briefing, Reception, and Museum Tour. After the dress rehearsal has concluded on the back field, everything is put away, aircraft are back in the hangars, we'll move inside. For anyone that needs to be out with the flying aircraft (pilots/pilot crew members/ground crew, etc), we'll have another safety briefing for those that missed Thursday's (at 6:30pm in the Museum). Then starting at 7pm, we'll have a reception for ALL participants in the WWI gallery of the Museum. The Museum will be open for touring until 10pm for all the participants as this may be your only time to see what we have inside, or what we have added since you were last here. We have added our new Space Shuttle Exhibit (full-scale shuttle that you can walk through), 3 NRO satellites from the Cold War, a new WWI art exhibit in the Art Gallery, a re-design of the Korea and Southeast Asia galleries. Plus much more! The Gift Shop will be open until at least 7:30pm.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 AM
WinterHawke

Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 AM
WinterHawke

f) Saturday begins early with aircraft being moved from the hangar to the back field. This operation will begin around 7am. The Spinning Rd gate will open at 7am each morning. All participants should expect to see the general public start showing up around 8am. We plan to start the show promptly at 9am. We'll have a pilots briefing with the Air Boss and FAA at 8:30-45am. Once the pilot briefing is over, we would like the autos to take the pilots for a brief drive around the runway and then return them to their aircraft. We plan to do a group photo at this time. We'll have the aircraft parked so they are facing the hard surface runway (just for the photo op -- all other times the aircraft will be parked facing the spectators). The pilots will stand at their aircraft. The autos can remain at the aircraft for the group photo. We'll call everyone to the front area for this large group photo. Once the photo is complete, we'll have the National Anthem and open the show. Then everyone can take their places and we'll begin for the day. We'll conclude all activities at 5pm. R/Cs will fly as the spectators are leaving the grounds.

g) Saturday evening movie. After the conclusion of the flying day on Saturday, everyone is free to go to dinner at a restaurant of their choice. Those that would like to watch a WWI movie, please return to the back field by 8pm to watch a movie in the multi-purpose tent in the center of the vendor row area.

h) Sunday will be a repeat of Saturday's activities (no group photo). We'll conclude all activities at 5pm.

i) Sunday evening banquet. Sunday evening's banquet will begin at 6:30pm inside the Museum. Please remember to bring your banquet ticket with you. You will receive your tickets upon arrival on Thursday and/or Friday. (If you need more tickets, I need to know that information immediately. Please email me when you get this. I need the final, final, final count on Tuesday!!!!) The banquet will be buffet style. We have a very special group performing for us that night "The Four Leads Barbershop Quartet". We also have the privilege of having Amanda Wright-Lane (great grandniece of Wilbur and Orville) speak to us on the Wright Family history. You don't want to miss this!

j) Monday morning departures. Monday morning is departure time. The Spinning Rd gate will again re-open at 7am for everyone to start heading home. Pilots will return to the hangar to disassemble aircraft for trucking home. Those flying home, we'll plan to have departures between 10-11am. Everyone else can begin tearing down on the back field and depart at their leisure. My goal to have everyone safely on their way by 5pm. Please note: if you are not attending the banquet Sunday evening and you want/need to depart on Sunday, we just ask that you DO NOT tear down and depart the field BEFORE 5pm. Once we have closed the show for the day, you are free to depart. The Spinning Rd gate will remain open until 11pm every night.

A few parting thoughts:

1) The Spinning Rd gate will be open from 7am-11pm from Thursday through Sunday, and from 7am-5pm on Monday (Sept 29th). The gate will close and lock promptly each night at 11pm. A Museum Staff member (Jessie Browning) will be at the trailer/camper at the gate each evening if you need anything. Everything on the back field will be secured when that gate closes.

2) We need the pilots to be as quick and efficient as possible at getting the aircraft from the hangar to the back field each morning and back to the hangar each afternoon. If you could save all your great stories with each other until after we have the aircraft where we need them, it would greatly help us keep on schedule. Also, all pilots and the crews MUST remember to bring their driver's licenses with them so they can show their ID to get from the back field to the hangar.

3) I have been approved for 2 fire pit rings in the encampment. During the daytime, we'll have a small fire going to enhance the ambience of the encampment (no raging fire). Wood will be available for use if the
reenactors will be so kind as to keep the fire burning. For meals, the reenactors are welcome to use the fire pits to cook your food. I will also have fire extinguishers nearby should the fire get out of control.

4) Our current plan is to have someone greet you upon arrival at the Spinning Rd gate and point you in the direction you need to go to get set up. Then other person will greet you at your specific location for the
event and get you settled in your spot. We hope this goes smoothly. Please remember that Thursday will be a very chaotic in getting everything set up. Friday should go much more smoothly.

5) I will be on the back field doing set up and making final preparations (and NOT in the office very much). If you need to contact me before you get here or upon your arrival, please CALL my work cell at 937-479-3329. I may not hear the phone the first time especially if I'm on a gator. PLEASE leave me a message with a phone number to contact you, and I will call you back shortly.

6) Everyone have safe travels to the Museum this coming week. The forecast now is: mostly sunny on Thurs - Sat, partly cloudy on Sun; temps range from 53 to79 degrees. Should be perfect conditions. Please continue to pray for great weather.

Thanks

David......

David C. Thomas
Specials Events Coordinator
National Museum of the United States Air Force
NMUSAF/MUS
1100 Spaatz St
Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433
(937) 255-1716
DSN 785-1716
Gov't Cell: (937) 479-3329
Fax: (937) 656-6306
Fax: DSN 986-6306
[email protected]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm getting ready now to head up to the Museum and meet up with David on the Rendezvous compound, to help with the R/C area layout (pit area, storage tent, hq tents, etc).

I WILL SEND OUT AN UPDATE THIS EVENING confirming the R/C Schedule. We should be flying each morning at 7:00 am until the opening ceremonies, and in the evenings after 5:00 pm until either dark or event (Meet & Greet, Banquet). The daily schedule will be different each day Thursday and Friday tbd, with Sat and Sun per the schedule.

'til this evening,

Lee McDuffee
R/C Event Director

Bye the bye - those coming to the Rendezvous who haven't met me yet, figured a picture would help:

Photo taken at the 2011 Rendezvous by the late, great Del Johnson - - - - thankfully it looks (so far) like I'll hopefully have cleaner shoes than in 2011!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 AM
WinterHawke

And since APPARENTLY I can't convince RCU's edits to work, Here's David's map showing Spinning Road Gate:

[/URL]

'til this evening,

Lee
Old 09-22-2014, 07:37 AM
WinterHawke

And here's David's map showing Spinning Road Gate, since I can't apparently get edit to work on RCU

[/URL]

'til later,

Lee
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 AM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

nm

Last edited by JDHammer; 09-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 PM
geezeraviation

Hey Lee, "We dont care bout your dirty shoes". lol Are we going to be able to park our vehicles (van) near our covers?
Thanks Doc.
PS loaded the van today, take off in the wee hrs tomorrow and spend the night near Nashville, asume will be in post noon Wed. BOY AM I EXCITED!!! Go ahead Jeff post the pik again......please.
Still Doc
Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean this picture?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Yep, that's the picture!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Lee,

For Thursday, you mentioned " You will be issued your parking pass at the Spinning Rd gate upon your arrival."

I can't roll into town earlier than Friday morning. Should I print something off to put in my car window as a parking pass or can I just get all that at the R/C registration tent?

thanks,
Greg
Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Soon Soon!

Must remember the shoes too.

And of course I'll have 2015 calendars (if you didn't get yours at HDP ot ODP).
Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM
WinterHawke

Originally Posted by Eindecker_pilot
Lee,

For Thursday, you mentioned " You will be issued your parking pass at the Spinning Rd gate upon your arrival."

I can't roll into town earlier than Friday morning. Should I print something off to put in my car window as a parking pass or can I just get all that at the R/C registration tent?

thanks,
Greg
Evening, Greg

Yes - Whenever you are arriving, you'll come in via Spinning Road Gate on the south side of the Museum - and use the magic words that you are an R/C Participant (somehow I expect the large Sopwith Pup in the back of your van may be a dead giveaway). Our HQ tent won't be that far away from the entrance, and we'll be available for any issue that might arise.st

The Spinning Road Gate will be open starting Wednesday through Sunday from 7:00am until 11m each day (and again on Monday morning at 7:00am for departures).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Spent a couple hours at the Museum field this afternoon, working with David Thomas on the R/C Compound Layout. He has so many re-enactors AND vendors coming in that his original sketches for that end of the compound had to be changed substantially.

OUR end of the compound is just a bit different than my original sketch above - I'll put a rough drawing together and post tomorrow - but basically it will be somewhat similar to 2014, with Balsa USA's trailer anchoring the far left of the line, BUT instead of extending to infinity to the right we're going to also come back at a right angle from the Balsa USA end, and run additional canopies that way, with our HQ tent midway back that line. Our total available canopy line, all told, is about 800' in length, which should be more than adequate.

EVERYONE should be able to park behind their canopies (unless you're bringing 3-4 cars all hanging out in 1 little canopy!!). We should have plenty of parking space for all R/C participants and guests. The (3) 20x40 storage tents will be within our parking area, well away from the public, but accessible from either end of our compound (or through - depending upon how nutso guys park). Again, I'll show that in a sketch in the A.M.

So far, all is on course for a great event!!

'til later,

Lee McD

Bye the bye - confirmed with David that the mornings, 7:00am to 9:00am (roughly) are ours Thursday through Sunday. Sorry about the early hour, but it is a DAWN Patrol after all!! More tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Thanks for the update Lee, see you guys in a few days!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 AM
WinterHawke

Here's my rough sketch of the R/C portion of the Rendezvous. We'll be to the right as you come in from Spinning Road Gate, with our primary canopy line parallel to the flightline, and an additional canopy line (including our headquarter tent) at a right angle to that. Balsa USA trailer will be in the center of the two canopy lines.

NOT TO SCALE, bye the bye!!!

We should have plenty of room for parking, trailers, etc. The three storage tents are back far enough to give everyone room to maneuver vehicles.

To our left will be the rest of the Rendezvous, with Vendor Row (including the Activities Tent) to the rear of the event, and the full scale planes in front, and to the far left the re-enactors encampment, and public parking beyond that (the public will come in from the main Museum Entrance).

I'll be arriving earlyt on Wednesday morning, with Doug following just a bit later.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 AM
WinterHawke

Here's the Saturday and Sunday Schedules - Main point here is the various speakers who will be presenting in the Activities Tent (and as always, the schedule is ALWAYS subject to change):

Saturday, Sept. 27

Pre-show -- Radio-controlled (RC) model flying and Wright Flier Flyover

9 a.m. -- Opening ceremony

9 a.m.-5 p.m. -- Educational demos and activities

9-11 a.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

10 a.m. -- Colin Owers presents "Forgotten Americans - Aerial Action in the North Sea"

11 a.m. -- Greg VanWyngarden presents "Jasta 18"

11 a.m.-noon -- RC model flying and antique auto parade

Noon -- Jack Herris presents "Development of German Warplanes"

Noon-2 p.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

1 p.m. -- Dick Bennett presents "Last Gathering of Eagles - the German Air Force in 1919 and 1920"

2 p.m. -- Jim Wilberg presents "Navarre"

2-3 p.m. -- RC model flying and antique auto parade

3 p.m. -- Lance Bronnenkant presents "Oswald Boelcke"

3-5 p.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

4 p.m. -- Jack Herris presents "German Fighter Competitions of 1918"

5 p.m. - Dark -- RC model flying

8 p.m. - Movie

* The last flight of each two-hour block of flying will consist of a mock shoot down and reenactment battle.

Sunday, Sept. 28

Pre-show -- Radio-controlled (RC) model flying

9 a.m. -- Opening ceremony

9 a.m.-5 p.m. -- Educational demos and activities

9-11 a.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

10 a.m. -- Dick Bennett presents "Last Gathering of Eagles - the German Air Force in 1919 and 1920"

11 a.m. -- Jack Herris presents "German Armored Warplanes"

11 a.m.-noon -- RC model flying and antique auto parade

Noon -- Jon Guttman presents "Aerial Reconnaissance Before WWI"

Noon-2 p.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

1 p.m. -- Jack Herris presents "Germany's Triplane Craze"

2 p.m. -- Jack Herris presents "German Fighter Competitions of 1918"

2-3 p.m. -- RC model flying and antique auto parade

3 p.m. -- Lance Bronnenkant presents "Oswald Boelcke"

3-5 p.m. -- Full-scale aircraft flying*

4 p.m. -- Fly Boys shown in Air Force Museum Theatre (cost is $5, click here for more information)

4 p.m. -- Jack Herris presents "Development of German Warplanes"

5-5:30 p.m. -- RC model flying (Lee's note - we'll also be scrambling to get to the banquet at about 6:30 p.m.)

* The last flight of each two-hour block of flying will consist of a mock shoot down and reenactment battle.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Jim Schroder

4:15 AM When do you sleep. Great Job Thank You. JIM
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 AM
WinterHawke

On site now - got one gopher hole to patch, otherwise runway looks fairly good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.