Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/4 CUB landing gear ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/4 CUB landing gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 1/4 CUB landing gear ?

I don't like to ask this sort of question but have no source for the answers otherwise. I've done the searches but the available info isn't very conclusive. Here goes .....

Which 1/4 scale landing gear appears to be the most durable over the long haul .... the Robart or the one from TheCubNut? All opinions are welcome and with luck this won't be a product bash. This will be going on a highly modified SIG CUB with a slightly wider than normal fuselage at 6 5/8".
Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not sure of the gear from TheCubNut as I had never heard of them.
I had the Robart gear on my 1/4 Cub and they performed very well. A guy named Wallace used to sell Cub gear, they were supposed to be a little more scale than the Robart gear but were not as strong.
The Robart gear uses fairly thick walled chrome molly tubing. It is a very stout gear. I cannot remember how wide the stock fuse is on the Sig Cub so I do not know what the width change will do.
Good Luck!!
Anthony
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by WacoNut
I am not sure of the gear from TheCubNut as I had never heard of them.
I had the Robart gear on my 1/4 Cub and they performed very well. A guy named Wallace used to sell Cub gear, they were supposed to be a little more scale than the Robart gear but were not as strong.
The Robart gear uses fairly thick walled chrome molly tubing. It is a very stout gear. I cannot remember how wide the stock fuse is on the Sig Cub so I do not know what the width change will do.
Good Luck!!
Anthony
Thanks for the comments WacoNut. I should have mentioned that "TheCubNut" gear is the old Wallace gear. A SIG CUB is usually 6.25" wide at the landing gear location which is quite a bit narrower than scale.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think the width change will effect the gear that much IMO. It may pull the legs in just a little at the suspension and make it stand just a tad taller.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:20 PM
weazel1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the robart set and its top notch
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Truckracer

weazel1, Is your gear on a SIG CUB with the narrower fuselage? Do you think that LG would work on a fuselage that is 6 5/8" wide. Robart lists it for a fuselage up to 6 1/2". I know they make a much wider version but I fear it might be too wide.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put a Robart Cub landing gear on a 1/4 scale Sig Cub... my fuselage is 6 5/16 " inches wide... after installing the gear the pivot points for the gear arms are right at the radius / corners of the bottom of the fuselage... I mortised the gear mounts down into the bottom of the fuse about 1/8" of an inch to bring the pivot points closer to the bottom surface (to help close up the gap between the arm and fuselage)... your fuselage is about 5/16" of an inch wider than mine... so your pivot points (mounts) will be about 5/32" of an inch inside of where mine is (on each side) which probably won't be that noticeable.... you maybe able to stretch the front bungee brace a bit to get a little more width... the other "wider" cub gear they sell which is for the BalsaUSA cub, will probably be way too wide, like over an inch.

Horizon hobbies sells replacement parts for their 1/4 scale Cub; their cub landing gear set its like $85 bucks... it looks very similar to the the Robart design, but not as robust... it maybe wider than the robart cub gear.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-17-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truckracer, I think you are more than capable of widening the 1/4 scale gear. I have done it and it was not that big of a deal. Here is how, in the pic there is a black line, cut the tube in half there. Get a piece of brass tube that fits inside that tube, cut it just a bit shorter that the total of the cut tube, flux the brass tube and re-assemble, then set in place on fuse at the proper width, then solder the joint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	th27DXDM9N.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1958926  

Last edited by acerc; 01-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by acerc
Truckracer, I think you are more than capable of widening the 1/4 scale gear. I have done it and it was not that big of a deal. Here is how, in the pic there is a black line, cut the tube in half there. Get a piece of brass tube that fits inside that tube, cut it just a bit shorter that the total of the cut tube, flux the brass tube and re-assemble, then set in place on fuse at the proper width, then solder the joint.
Thanks Ace! I had thought about doing exactly what you suggested but now reading it in print ..... done deal and gear ordered!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Truckracer

John_M_ , thanks for the measurements. Gear ordered.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are welcome.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem Truckrace, glad I could help... you probably won't have to modify the gear... 5/32 of an inch (per side) isn't much to worry about... when I look down the side of my fuselage from the wing saddle, the gear sticks out past the fuse, about an 1/8 of an inch.... so yours should be almost flush with the fuse side.

John M,
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Thecubnut is Wallace.

Seriously considering a pair for my cub!

http://www.cublandinggear.com/Page_2_34LV.html