Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Matching paint for 21st Century Fabric??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Matching paint for 21st Century Fabric??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching paint for 21st Century Fabric??

For my next project I plan on using 21st Century Fabric and I am in need some matching white paint perferably in a spray can, it does not have to be fuel proof since it will be on an electric plane. Will regular rattle can Rustolum or Krylon white match up with the fabric or will I have to have something mixed and use a sprayer? If I have something mixed what type of paint should I use? The last ime I used 21st Century Fabric they made fuel proof rattle can paint but I'm told they no longer make the stuff?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

21st Century paint never really matched the corresponding covering's color. It was so far off that it made the Lustrkote matches look good.

People will suggest many alternatives.

The best that I have seen is to take a roll of the covering to an automotive pain supplier. They will have a computer that can "read" the color and spit out a formulation. The supplier will then mix the auto paint to the color.

Many can also have it put in spray cans for you, but it isn't an inexpensive proposition.

Instead of 21st Century Fabric, I've switched to natural Solartex, and paint the entire airframe. This avoids the color matching hassle and expense. You can paint the model with Rustoleun, Krylon, etc, then.

With either method, I would prefer to use a spray gun, but excellent results can be achieved with spray cans. I like the way Rustoleum aerosol cans spray, and I have painted an entire 1/4 scale model using them.