Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How does one deal with risk?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

How does one deal with risk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I got to say this post bothers me personally

I joined a nice club and toward the beginning of my 2nd year flying I got a nitroplane spitfire and 109

I had a lot of bad take offs and some landing, as these are not easy birds to fly vs all the top wing trainners and cubs everyone at my feild flys. They gave me a hard time, but I got into war birds for the challenge, and I can fly a cub more scale than them anyday
What is your point?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evarnad
Luchina, your friends planes just have long expiration dates on them. LOL

As I said I'm a better builder than a flyer and not that great of a builder.
Yeah, I don't have any planes that have flown that long!

I cannot complain though for only flying four years now. If I fly as many years as though guys have I hope I can have planes that last that long.

I have done good as far as I am concerned. I have learned a lot, truly enjoyed the time flying, and found it is a great hobby. I have not lost any large amounts of money (not implying that I have not spent some more than I thought I should). I went to a swap meet to sell some stuff and brought a bunch of stuff home!

Now you RCers wanna post about risk, that is risk!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:46 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
What is your point?

My point was some guys mays crash more or seem to be having a harder time but in the truth is they are just challengeing them selfs and should be given some slack.

It made me mad when I would crash a war bird and the guys given the crap only fly .40 top wing trainers or did not fly at all just bench warmers

Now that not to say I know a guy who crashes almost ever time out but its because he is reckless and likes to fky over the pits to scare pesple
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM
hsukaria

My point was some guys mays crash more or seem to be having a harder time but in the truth is they are just challengeing them selfs and should be given some slack.

It made me mad when I would crash a war bird and the guys given the crap only fly .40 top wing trainers or did not fly at all just bench warmers

Now that not to say I know a guy who crashes almost ever time out but its because he is reckless and likes to fky over the pits to scare pesple
Ok, that is where I draw the line, flying over the pits just for fun...the guy should be thrown out of the club!!!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not believe that any club would continue to tolerate a member flying over the pits just for fun or to scare people. Clubs I belong to would not tolerate that members antics and he would be history.

What are your club officers doing, waiting for damaged property or worse yet, somebody getting hurt ?

KICK HIM OUT !!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
ARUP

Anybody that tried 'to scare me by flying over the pits' or some other such nonsense is gonna get his @$$ kicked by me, personally! THEN the officers of the club can make a ruling!!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Do not believe that any club would continue to tolerate a member flying over the pits just for fun or to scare people. Clubs I belong to would not tolerate that members antics and he would be history.

What are your club officers doing, waiting for damaged property or worse yet, somebody getting hurt ?

KICK HIM OUT !!

Its a public flying site and he is not a club member. He has gotten better at his flying
Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 PM
abufletcher

You have a very good point here that challenging yourself by flying more difficult models (or doing more difficult maneuvers) is a worthwhile type of risk. Even flying more frequently is a kind of risk. What we're talking about here is a risk vs. learning trade-off.

To go back to Vallyk's original post, it seems to me that he was talking primarily about financial risk. He was questioning the "risk" of using a relative expensive geared drive that allows for the use of a larger scale but therefore expensive propeller. Using the drive and the bigger propeller wouldn't make the model any "riskier" to fly...only more costly to replace a broken prop. Bear in mind also that we're already talking about a model (1/3 scale WWI) with a total cost over $2,000 (and maybe even over $3,000). So replacing a $100 prop on a $2,000 model is comparable to replacing a $10 prop on a $200 model.

Last edited by abufletcher; 03-15-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:52 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a public flying site and he is not a club member. He has gotten better at his flying
Public Flying Site ? Well then, it should be monitored by the police department. The individual may cause damage to property or cause personal injury, thus should be reported to the police. Simple, simple ! Better flying or not, the individual in question is a danger to you and others.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Public Flying Site ? Well then, it should be monitored by the police department. The individual may cause damage to property or cause personal injury, thus should be reported to the police. Simple, simple ! Better flying or not, the individual in question is a danger to you and others.
Back in the late 70's, early 80's, we had individuals sit in their cars just outside the entrance of our club / field with a FR sweep generator... they would take out what was in the air at the time they decided to jam the entire RC band... it took a very coordinated effort between the club members and the local police to catch them.

Our club has Mulberry trees that shade the pit area and act some what as a barrier to rouge aircraft, but occasionally we get an in-coming that everyone scrambles for the chain link fencing... seen a plane go right through a camper shell on the back of a truck... also seen a pattern ship doing a hi speed, very low pass go horrible wrong, which come across the pit area, and right through the chain link fencing.

John M,
Old 03-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Back in the late 70's, early 80's, we had individuals sit in their cars just outside the entrance of our club / field with a FR sweep generator... they would take out what was in the air at the time they decided to jam the entire RC band... it took a very coordinated effort between the club members and the local police to catch them.

John M,
I never understand how somebody can be deliberately malicious like that.

When I was a teenager starting in RC about 6 of my school friends also dabbled in it. Most dropped out very quickly when they realised you actually have to learn to fly. My best friend became a very competent sailplane pilot and later competed in F3B.

I was mainly interested in power, glow motors and aerobatics.

One of the 'non starters' actually used to sneak to our flying field, hide in the bushes and wait until my friend was flying his glider then deliberately 'shoot him down' by turning on his TX on the same channel. (I was safe because I had the only 40Mhz FM radio at the club)

It happened twice and we suspected it but could never prove it at the time. The culprit admitted it to us at our 20 year school reunion expecting us to laugh it off, We just walked off.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-15-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:04 AM
abufletcher

On the topic of gratuitous risk, today in a small RC shop I found an absolutely beautiful 13" wooden prop with all the striations and a gorgeous stain and lacquer finish. The price $80. I just don't think I could deal with that.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I never understand how somebody can be deliberately malicious like that.When I was a teenager starting in RC about 6 of my school friends also dabbled in it. Most dropped out very quickly when they realised you actually have to learn to fly. My best friend became a very competent sailplane pilot and later competed in F3B. I was mainly interested in power, glow motors and aerobatics. One of the 'non starters' actually used to sneak to our flying field, hide in the bushes and wait until my friend was flying his glider then deliberately 'shoot him down' by turning on his TX on the same channel. (I was safe because I had the only 40Mhz FM radio at the club) It happened twice and we suspected it but could never prove it at the time. The culprit admitted it to us at our 20 year school reunion expecting us to laugh it off, We just walked off.
After being hit too many times by pilots not checking to see if the frequency was in use before turning on their transmitters, I switched over to the 50mhz RC ham band; that solved the problem, BUT the 40mhz - 50mhz bands are still vulnerable to sweep generators... 2.4 spread spectrum is the way to go; its built in safe modes, well help against malicious attacks.

John M,
Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
chistech

I love to build and have finally started building "nice" planes. What I mean by that term is MY opinion of nice and not to start an argument. All built up, either by plans, short kit, or full kit, glassed, and painted. A decent amount of detail with more on some and less on others. That is my personal definition or personal goal of "nice". Now that I'm somewhat older and the kids are out I can build these types of aircraft which take 6-18months to complete. Through the years I've done ARF's, simple kits covered with film, and even RTF foamies. Nothing I enjoy more than building with balsa though. When I got my BT Kingfisher done (9 months) I had a couple of older accomplished pilots tell me it was too nice to fly or to risk flying. I can say when I built it, I went over it many times during final assembly with my good friend. We measured incidences, thrust angles, weights, throws, etc. As we stood there talking about the day of maiden I had extreme confidence with all we had done and told my buddy that I envisioned a smooth take off and just a smooth flight. My buddy looked at me, shook his head up and and down and said "OK". I later found out that he thought I was a little over confident because it had a 58" span and 10.5 weight, plus a float plane. Turns out the maiden went just as I envisioned it would. What surprised me was, though I was cautious, I wasn't real nervous. I believe it was the knowledge of the quality of work and preparation put into the build that gave me the confidence of a good flying plane.

I can say that I fly that plane all the time at every float fly and in high wind without many issues, and never one crash. I have hit one sandbar and put a hole in the float but that is it. If it was to crash it would hurt to see it damaged but not much more. Like was said before in this thread, the building gave me many hours of enjoyment and the flying time has done the same. I see many guys who crash ARF's and even foamies that get really upset over the crash like they just lost a child. My buddy will always say that we walk away from every crash but some guys seem to lose it for a crash of a model. People need to realize this hobbyand is meant to be fun. Yes, crashes aren't fun but buying or building another airframe is!

What I see with the guys who lose it when they crash tend to be the pilots who have little self confidence with their flying. Some of these guys are very good pilots yet they don't feel they are and when they crash it adds to their lack of confidence. They feel everyone is watching them and that those watching must be saying or thinking something about them when in most cases that is not happening. Sometimes nothing will help these kind of "fatalist" type people.

One thing I do notice at some clubs are that there are three types of Pilots. Assemblers, talkers, and flyers. Now I know there are plenty of guys who get to the field, assemble their plane, then fly it. But there is also many who show up with very nice planes, take an hour or two to assemble it, sit around talking to others or just even sit by the plane, then take it apart, put it in their vehicle, and drive away.
The talkers are the ones who look at what you bring then start telling you about the one they have at home, which they might have, but no one has ever seen. And these talkers do it all the time.

The flyers are the pilots who fly a lot and the ones in the air no matter the conditions, whether it be foamies, ARF's, or super scale builds. They range in flying proficiency but still, they are flying and have confidence and are the core of a successful club. They usually laugh or at least smile if they crash and go on with a good attitude. These are just my observations over the years and guys will be guys. Some are good, some are not so good.

Last edited by chistech; 03-17-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by chistech
I love to build and have finally started building "nice" planes. What I mean by that term is MY opinion of nice and not to start an argument. All built up, either by plans, short kit, or full kit, glassed, and painted. A decent amount of detail with more on some and less on others. That is my personal definition or personal goal of "nice". Now that I'm somewhat older and the kids are out I can build these types of aircraft which take 6-18months to complete. Through the years I've done ARF's, simple kits covered with film, and even RTF foamies. Nothing I enjoy more than building with balsa though. When I got my BT Kingfisher done (9 months) I had a couple of older accomplished pilots tell me it was too nice to fly or to risk flying. I can say when I built it, I went over it many times during final assembly with my good friend. We measured incidences, thrust angles, weights, throws, etc. As we stood there talking about the day of maiden I had extreme confidence with all we had done and told my buddy that I envisioned a smooth take off and just a smooth flight. My buddy looked at me, shook his head up and and down and said "OK". I later found out that he thought I was a little over confident because it had a 58" span and 10.5 weight, plus a float plane. Turns out the maiden went just as I envisioned it would. What surprised me was, though I was cautious, I wasn't real nervous. I believe it was the knowledge of the quality of work and preparation put into the build that gave me the confidence of a good flying plane.

I can say that I fly that plane all the time at every float fly and in high wind without many issues, and never one crash. I have hit one sandbar and put a hole in the float but that is it. If it was to crash it would hurt to see it damaged but not much more. Like was said before in this thread, the building gave me many hours of enjoyment and the flying time has done the same. I see many guys who crash ARF's and even foamies that get really upset over the crash like they just lost a child. My buddy will always say that we walk away from every crash but some guys seem to lose it for a crash of a model. People need to realize this hobbyand is meant to be fun. Yes, crashes aren't fun but buying or building another airframe is!

What I see with the guys who lose it when they crash tend to be the pilots who have little self confidence with their flying. Some of these guys are very good pilots yet they don't feel they are and when they crash it adds to their lack of confidence. They feel everyone is watching them and that those watching must be saying or thinking something about them when in most cases that is not happening. Sometimes nothing will help these kind of "fatalist" type people.

One thing I do notice at some clubs are that there are three types of Pilots. Assemblers, talkers, and flyers. Now I know there are plenty of guys who get to the field, assemble their plane, then fly it. But there is also many who show up with very nice planes, take an hour or two to assemble it, sit around talking to others or just even sit by the plane, then take it apart, put it in their vehicle, and drive away.
The talkers are the ones who look at what you bring then start telling you about the one they have at home, which they might have, but no one has ever seen. And these talkers do it all the time.

The flyers are the pilots who fly a lot and the ones in the air no matter the conditions, whether it be foamies, ARF's, or super scale builds. They range in flying proficiency but still, they are flying and have confidence and are the core of a successful club. They usually laugh or at least smile if they crash and go on with a good attitude. These are just my observations over the years and guys will be guys. Some are good, some are not so good.
Nicely done. I enjoyed your post.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This video is cringe-worthy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vyaQhJMBIE
Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 AM
abufletcher

But you just can't look away!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I damage a model, I practically go into mourning.

They say that we are not punished for our sins, but by them ... and every second spent repairing damage is a penance for me.

I don't give much thought to any financial loss, it's rarely very great. But, I can easily spend a fortnight punishing myself, mentally, for my ineptitude or foolishness. It's very unhealthy, I know.

Thankfully, it's a loooong time since I have smashed an aeroplane ... if you discount the several to which I have had to put a match, this past few months. Too much stuff ... nobody wants it ... I need the space.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
They say that we are not punished for our sins, but by them ...
Eloquent.

if you discount the several to which I have had to put a match, this past few months. Too much stuff ... nobody wants it ... I need the space.
When I was a kid building the Guillow's WWI kits, I'd hang'em on the ceiling for a couple of months, but eventually their fate was sealed. I'd stuff them full of matches, hang them from a string and watch them go down in a ball of flame. Once I even stuffed in a balloon filled with hydrogen (from a coke bottle with hydrochloric acid and zinc) for some extra zing to the special effects.

More recently (a couple of weeks ago) I took all of the half wings and half fuselages of past crashes out of the cupboards and tromped all over them. It felt good. It felt cathartic.

Last edited by abufletcher; 03-19-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 AM
mikes68charger

They say that we are not punished for our sins, but by them ... and every second spent repairing damage is a penance for me.

I don't give much thought to any financial loss, it's rarely very great. But, I can easily spend a fortnight punishing myself, mentally, for my ineptitude or foolishness. It's very unhealthy, I know.

Thankfully, it's a loooong time since I have smashed an aeroplane ... if you discount the several to which I have had to put a match, this past few months. Too much stuff ... nobody wants it ... I need the space.
I thought I was the only one.

I do learn from each crash tho.

1st lesson, just because your buddy been flying longer than me dose not mean he will not crash it on maden. Pluse I live for the maden rush. I got 4 planes to maden this spring
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

When I crash I usally spend a few moments crying like a littel girl and then I rebuild the airplane or salvage what I can for the next project. My son asked me once, after I decided to take the hobby back up again so we could fly together. What happens if he crashes the beautiful SIG Kadet I just finished. I told him we fix it or we build another. I explained since I had built it I knew how it went together so I could probably fix it. If I couldn't fix it SIG was still making kits. Still have that airplane and he didn't crash it but I did park it in the canopy of a large tree once. Good thing he was with me he got to climb up and knock it out of the tree. I got to glue the fin back on patch the wing covering tears from getting it back down. It was in perfect shape sitting in the tree!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM
Rob2160

This post reminded me of how I was during the peak of my RC Heli obsession a few years ago. i would fly numerous times every day, always learning and experimenting.

Occasionally my work would take me away from home for a week or more. When I knew a trip was coming, I'd stop flying Helis 2 days before. Because I knew if I crashed one of my Helis without time to repair it I would be distraught for the entire time away from home, until I could get back and repair it.

The obsession has waned now (and my heli flying has improved) so I'll fly right up to an hour before leaving on a trip.

Going back to the flight per dollar ratio I mentioned earlier.. $69 and 1500+ flights on this little foamie. - gotta be happy with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZ2sRlFl9s

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Rob, your getting your money's worth all right!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Rob, your getting your money's worth all right!
Yes, sure am, and the sad part was that I had just introduced a friend to this hobby and it was his idea to buy these Spitfires. (I actually didn't even want it at the time, but he talked me into it.)

Both arrived in the same order and we maidened them on the same day. On his 2nd flight his receiver failed and his Spitfrie was written off.

We flew together every week for the next 18 months and I'd feel guilty flying mine in front of him..flight after flight.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Rob, that is one of those things we have to deal with. It could have been worse I know a member of this forum that over the course of a year built one of the best looking and best built scale Warbirds I have ever seen. He lost it on, I think it was, the third test flight he hadn't even had a chance to put the final paint on it. Even though the first one was $$$$ he is using the same building thread to build a new one even better. He knows the risks and he accepts them. He does everything he can to prevent something going wrong like on the first one but even with the best precautions and building methods crashes still happen. I like to do taxi runs at first with a newly built airplane so I can at least get some time on it before I maiden it just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.