Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to the AMA NATS?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Anyone going to the AMA NATS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone going to the AMA NATS?

So what are you guys bringing that are going? Is it recommended to bring a sunshade? Having never been, I am not sure of the layout and configuration of the flying site.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello VG

I'm leaving Thursday afternoon for Muncie, coming from the Dayton, Ohio area. Bringing a BUSA 1/3 scale Pup.
If you got room in your vehicle, a canopy would be a plus. I would also bring a long power cord, 100 ft minimum to be able to
reach electric for charging batteries. Aside from that just the usual summer flying stuff, lawn chair, cooler, sunscreen.
I have heard that the Ironman competition that has all the hotels booked also has all the local food vendors tied up
so I'm bringing stuff to snack on between rounds. I've never flown at the NATS before either, but I've done a lot of over
the weekend dawn patrol events.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Mike
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We will be there. I am still working out which plane to take. Definitely bring some sunshade, most use 10 X 10 (or so) canopies. It can get hot and humid. There will pizza at the site Friday evening and a Saturday night banquet that are always a good time. Please look me up, i will be driving a silver Silverado with a silver V nose trailer in tow with a front profile of a B-24 on it. The runway is an X configuration with a bundle of lines on them that can be confusing. If you can bring a practice plane or fly your competition one ahead of Saturday it may help get a feel for the lay out.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
vertical grimmace

Great! Look forward to meeting you guys.

I think I bring my triplane along with my DVII entry. Is it possible to fly off of grass for the WW1 types? I will have a long drive from CO, but plan on leaving on Wednesday.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
OldScaleGuy

You will be able to fly off of grass, they allow you to walk across the hard pavement to the grass area for take off and then back again for landing. Not uncommon at all.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM
teamscalepilot

oldscaleguy: plan on doing some night flying with me. C-133, C-310 and Piper Arrow yet again!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
You will be able to fly off of grass, they allow you to walk across the hard pavement to the grass area for take off and then back again for landing. Not uncommon at all.
That will be nice. I have never been able to fly my WW1 models from grass. May have to practice it, as I am so used to a blacktop runway.

I have a little night flyer as well. That is always fun!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM
OldScaleGuy

teamscalepilot,
We will plan on that. Looking forward to seeing the C-133. That sounds like a winner before we even start.

vertical grimmace,
If your plane has a tail skid, you also have the option to add a tail wheel after static judging (it's in the rule book)
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be there with my DR1 for fun scale and flying a PB4Y1 (Navy version of B24D) in team scale.

Looking forward to meeting you VG - as for the rest of you guys, it will be nice catching up again.

Cheers,
Art
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
vertical grimmace

I have another question: How strict are they about the safety nut holding your prop on? On my entry, I am using a scale washer, nut to simulate the look of the real plane. Will I have to double nut out my stud for flying? I remember running into this while pylon racing. I do not have a safety nut, so I would have to nut my prop out until I had no exposed threads.

It would seem to me that this rule is somewhat silly and not necessary in a scale competition. I understand why in racing and those types of events. I just want to be prepared, so my entry will be allowed to fly.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 AM
TFF

I dont think it is required. Never flown at NATs but Scale Qualifiers never require it. Some use it as a way to add nose weight in the rules.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
R/C Art

[QUOTE=vertical grimmace;11836380]I have another question: How strict are they about the safety nut holding your prop on? On my entry, I am using a scale washer, nut to simulate the look of the real plane. Will I have to double nut out my stud for flying? I remember running into this while pylon racing. I do not have a safety nut, so I would have to nut my prop out until I had no exposed threads.

I have never heard of this being brought up at the Nats or any other scale contest, so I don't think you will have anything to worry about.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 AM
OldScaleGuy

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have another question: How strict are they about the safety nut holding your prop on? On my entry, I am using a scale washer, nut to simulate the look of the real plane. Will I have to double nut out my stud for flying? I remember running into this while pylon racing. I do not have a safety nut, so I would have to nut my prop out until I had no exposed threads.

It would seem to me that this rule is somewhat silly and not necessary in a scale competition. I understand why in racing and those types of events. I just want to be prepared, so my entry will be allowed to fly.
You should be fine. The rule states the following. The intent is regarding safety with "some sort" of cover at the end of the crank shaft. The rule does not state specifically that the cover must be a spinner or acorn nut. Others flying WWI planes do the same as you are planning.

2.3: All planes entered must have a
rounded prop spinners or some sort of safety
cover on the end of the propeller shaft (such as a
rounded “acorn nut’’).
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM
M_Callahan

Count down has now shifted from days to hours! I've been trying to go to the NATS for the last
four years, looks like its finally going to happen.

Mike
Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
vertical grimmace

I am now a little over halfway there. I am holed up in some no-tell motel somewhere in Missouri!

The last time I was at the Nats, was in 1993, Lubbock TX. I was flying CL combat, and had entered 4 events. We were there for the full 5 days of competition. I am going to guess that Scale will be a little more laid back! Combat was almost an athletic event. Especially in S. TX. , in the middle of July. It looks like the forecast looks pretty good for us.

I should arrive late afternoon tomorrow. Hoping to get some stick time on one of my sport planes to shake out any nerves.Will be great to see our national flying site.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM
M_Callahan

Packing the truck now. Pulling out around noon. See ya'll there.

Mike
Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
R/C Art

Packing right now - should arrive sometime this evening before dark.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM
vertical grimmace

What a great time! After scale, I wandered over to the CL combat circles, to see what was up and found all of my old buddies from TX. Huge surprise when I was offered to fly one of their FAI combat ships! That was a blast, and punctuated a wonderful trip for me. Look forward to coming back next year. It was great getting to meet all of you guys, and especially all of the help I received. Thanks you guys.

Rich
Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM
M_Callahan

Rich, it was a real pleasure meeting you. for the 2015 NATS, if I get there first
I'll save us a spot.

Mike
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
OldScaleGuy

Had a great time, it just ended too soon.
Looking forward to seeing everyone back next year!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
R/C Art

I'm back but not rested up yet.......work about whipped my butt today.......will try to post some pics later.......but might not be able to until after the Ohio Dawn Patrol which is this weekend.

Great to meet Vertical Grimmace......see you next year Rich.....his DVII looks much better in person than what the pictures show......and he flies it very well, too.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 AM
vertical grimmace

So, I just got home. Left Muncie at 8 am, drove straight through today, and got home at 2:15 am! Long Friggin drive! I am safe, and it feels great to be home.

Thanks for the kind words Art. I had a lot of fun. You guys have really got a good thing going with the NASA group. I am very glad I got to experience it. Look for my membership in the mail!

Now it is time for me to get hot after my next years entry!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 AM
OldScaleGuy

Plus Rich sets the stage nicely.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2014349  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
vertical grimmace

Here is one for Mike. So glad you got the Sopwith flying! Great job.

Of course, you will notice the Fokker moving in on your six! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nats day 4 004.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2014519   Click image for larger version

Name:	nats day 4 003.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2014520  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM
M_Callahan

Drove straight thru? Rich the road warrior!

Thanks for the pictures, you're gonna miss by the way, not pulling enough lead to get a hit.

You and Steve and Art made the weekend what it was, a great time. I'm already planning for NATS 2015!

Like I said, if I get there first I'll save us a spot.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.