Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Solartex

Old 08-19-2014, 05:03 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solartex

Wanted to buy:

One 2 meter roll of yellow Solartex. Plain yellow; not "vintage yellow" or "Cub yellow." Does anyone have one or know from where it can be bought? My we b search was not successful.

Local hobby shops don't have it and BUSA wants $16.00 to ship one roll!

FOUND! Thanks.

Last edited by bokuda; 08-19-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/170.htm This is the only place I know of. Plane yellow is the 3rd yellow on page.

Last edited by Luft-Gangster; 08-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 AM
bokuda

I did find it from another vendor for $9.00 shipping. Guess what. They sent the wrong color and it cost me $8.00 to return it!

Seems I just can't win!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who was the vendor? They should pay the shipping for their mistake.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
bokuda

I won't identify the vendor as it was most likely an honest mistake and I'm not into trashing people without good reason.

If they were not sure what color I wanted they SHOULD have emailed me. And I agree they should reimburse me for the return postage. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM
bokuda

I find I am still in need of a roll of plain yellow (not vintage or Cub) Solartex. The vendor in question apparently is not going to honor his commitment to remedy his errors. If it's not resolved by Monday, I reveal who the vendor is and spread my experience throughout the web.

If you have a roll of yellow Solartex you can sell, please let me know. I need that color because the plane I'm working on is 3/4 covered with it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Even if you find a roll, if it's from another batch it may not be an exact color match. I have a Tanzer Cabin wing in plain yellow that I had to do some repairs on and the roll I got at the LHS was the right color but doesnt match,real well. I have built a longer wing for it with flaps and have a roll to cover it with and I think it's a third version of the "right" color. Oh well.
Doc
Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 AM
bokuda

True, but it will be closer than vintage or Cub yellow.

I talked with a BUSA rep at Rhinebeck yesterday and complained about their shipping charge to no avail. They had only 10 meter rolls with them.

I've ordered it from my "LHS" which is 50+ miles away.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:40 AM
bokuda

I now consider that the vendor from whom I originally ordered the Solartex has ripped me off. Fly Hobbies, aka flyhobbies.com, will not respond to emails or phone calls regarding this. Here are the details:

I ordered a 2 meter roll of yellow Solartex from Fly Hobbies, aka flyhobbies.com and received a roll of vintage yellow. It arrived very promptly via FedEx and I was initially impressed with the service. I returned the Solartex asking for an exchange or refund and have received no communication at all since. I should, of course, have checked this business out before ordering as they have other complaints against them (him?), but I did not. They list an Oklahoma address, but the "customer service" phone number is a California number. When called, I'm sent to a message recorder that is answered simply, "Brian."

So far, I am out 24.35 for the covering, 9.95 for the shipping and about $8.00 return shipping totaling $42.30 for one 2 meter toll of Solartex which I do not have. The LHS will charge me about $25 when it is in stock making a cost of about $67 for the roll.

I will be posting a warning and complaints about this place where appropriate as well as disputing the charges on my Mastercard. I do not take lightly to being ripped off.

I would STRONGLY advise not doing business with this place.

I will send a link to this posting to Fly Hobbies.

Last edited by bokuda; 09-08-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So for $7 difference in shipping you ended up dealing with crooks rather than someone reputable like Balsa USA???
$7, all that trouble to save $7?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 AM
bokuda

Yup. Live and learn. Of course the trouble was not expected.

Update: I disputed the charge to my chargecard and was reimbursed.

Last edited by bokuda; 09-29-2014 at 02:50 PM.