Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

No gasoline engines allowed?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

No gasoline engines allowed?

Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 PM
vmosmith
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another fix is to place some Chore Boy in the muffler. Chore Boy is basically coarse bronze scub brush that resembles steel wool. Lowers db noise greatly.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:23 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys at our field are able to fly gas within our 96 dB @ 9 foot noise restriction. But they spend a lot of money on props and mufflers to do so - sometimes more than the spend on the engine. Stock glow engines generally meet our noise rule without modification, but then the gas engines tend to be quite a bit larger than the glow engines.

Noise is a serious issue in some locations. It is the most common reason for losing a flying site.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Bolshoi

Gasoline engines with cans produce less noise than any decent size 2 cycle glow engine. They allow 2 cycle glow engines?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The use of canister's and prop's that do not rip at full power on large gas engine are very quite 3D birds or not.

Bob
Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Abu,
if you run the collector ring on the 770, it will actually be Quieter than an electric setup on a 50cc size model that is electric powered. That engine is extremely quiet. I would highly recommend demoing the operation of that motor to the club officers to try and get an exemption if it is a noise based ban.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Not having much experience with gasoline powered models myself, but a LOT of experience with chainsaws, weed eaters and many other small 2 cycle gasoline powered implements of destruction I can tell you that, while the actual dB level may be higher, the bigger the engine gets, the softer the 'Bark'. That soft 'Bark' travels better with less distortion and is not as easily absorbed by features like trees and buildings. Prop selection has a lot to do with the noise level of full sized airplanes. More, wider, shorter blades always seem to help. That having been said, how many of us used to run Cox Tee-Dee's with thin little props and no mufflers at 22,000 RPM. I figured out the piston speed once, that is 44,000 micro sonic booms per minute. We have come a long ways in 25 years.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Thats funny because nitro fuel kills the grass too. I would ask them to allow you to fly if you can pass the noise test. I found switching to a 3 blade prop toned down my DLE 20 quite a bit over a 2 blade.
I am going to guess the catch bottle rule would be for any fuel, not just gasoline. I have heard of this before. Especially when flying at sod farms.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by abufletcher
There's also a lot of truth in this. Every gas-engined model I've seen around these parts is a large aerobatic bird, models that as often as not are being flown "pedal to the metal" over most of the flight.

Great! I was looking for something like this...just so that I can pretend that the monster I'll be flying is still somehow scale.
Hey Don,

Good to see you back.

I would like to make a couple of comments. While I am not a 3d flier, it is important to understand that that type of plane does not lend itself to "pedal to the metal" throttle control. I have a 50cc Ultimate bipe, and I do not think I have ever had it at full throttle. It is more about the power to hover, pull through maneuvers. Not to mention it is not wise to overspeed those large 3d control surfaces because of flutter.

Now, I do fly a lot of warbirds, and those pilots go full throttle most of the time. It seems WW2 lends itself to all out speed. The WW1 planes do not though, but both types are primarily powered by Gassers as they are just the most economical way to go on the big ones.

Outright bans on particular engine types are pretty sill, as they can all be made quiet. You will even hear noisy electrics. Mufflers, props etc have a huge impact. I have seen modern pattern ships with glow 4-strokes that you would have sworn were electric.

Are you contemplating a gas engine? I thought you were more into the 4-strokes? There are some good 4-stroke gas choices now.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
jeffandrews
My Feedback: (4)

We do not have such restrictions, but AMA does. You might check up on the AMA requirements related to field noise and see if your compliant. Either way, even if you are under the noise limits, neighbors do not have to accept any noise levels at all. The best action is to see if you all have any alies including the city/county. If you are not braking any laws, you shouldn't have to be concerned unless people start to fight against you.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the right muffler and the right prop can make a world of difference for putting a higher load on an engine and quieting it down.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by jeffandrews
We do not have such restrictions, but AMA does. You might check up on the AMA requirements related to field noise and see if your compliant. Either way, even if you are under the noise limits, neighbors do not have to accept any noise levels at all. The best action is to see if you all have any alies including the city/county. If you are not braking any laws, you shouldn't have to be concerned unless people start to fight against you.

Not sure this matters all that much in Japan.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
the right muffler and the right prop can make a world of difference for putting a higher load on an engine and quieting it down.

The key here is keeping the tip speed under the speed of sound. Hence the reason to lower RPM some.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed! One of the most pleasant models I have ever heard was a 1/4 scale Typhoon with a 100cc Sachs Dolmar gas engine.

it had a very effective, totally hidden muffler with a VERY deep note & a huge 3 bladed prop which kept the revs way down.

The engine was a torque monster, happy to just purr away pulling the model with real authority & looking effortless.

Awesome! - John.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by abufletcher
I just found out that at my new club's field no gasoline engines are allowed. They are apparently considered too noisy and either people in the neighborhood have complained or people in the club are afraid that they might complain. Since gasoline engines are popular in larger WWI models I was a bit dismayed to hear this.

The reason it came up is that I've purchased a large ARF (yes, I know, groan) of the Paulistinha P-56 with a 3 meter wingspan. The sole purpose in buying this is to get my Seidel/UMS 770 mounted on a model pronto and learn how it really works in flight. Luckily, the 770, being a 4st, is apparently OK.

Does anyone else have this prohibition against gasoline engines?

--Don

PS. I've let the scale modeling lapse over the past half year (due to a host of issues) but am gearing up to get going again.

I have a Saito fg-11 that is 11cc capacity four-stroke that uses gasoline. I have heard some electric models that make more noise.
It would be banned at your club because it burns gas not alcohol fuel !!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:35 AM
abufletcher

My BIG Paulistinha P-56 ARF arrived today! For a guy who's only flown 1/6 scale models, this thing is ENORMOUS!!! But once it's out at the field and up in the sky, I imagine it'll look right at home. As with the smaller 50-class (glow) size, everything seems to be first class, from the sturdy struts down to the inflatable tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Paulistinha-big-smaller-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2050431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paulistinha-big-smaller-2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2050432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paulistinha-big-smaller-3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2050433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paulistinha-big-smaller-4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2050434  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

My fields rule is no IC before 8 A, never had a problem.
there is this guy with a 700 heli flying on 6S that sounds louder than a gasser.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:41 AM
ChuckG65
My Feedback: (3)

Don't fight em, Don't join em. There are clubs who like Gassers, jets, IMac, pattern and pylon. Find them and join.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

This has been an issue in our club. We gave our gas flyers a choice. Either quiet them down by changing props, or mufflers, or no more gas. We had a neighbor who was complaining about it to the local township board. The guys stepped up to the plate. Quitter muffler options were found, .....top changes made. No issue today.......we almost lost our field.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I fly on a full scale Private restricted field in SE Wisconsin (0WI8) look it up. We have a 96 DB Limit for every thing, But if UR with the IN Crowd well lets just say your plane will meet the limit. To our south and South west behind som trees 1700 feet away and the houses about 2600 feet is a housing aera. This fall they started a new sub division just 2000 feet SE of our flight stations and we (Unfourtunatly have to fly south not North because of the hangers. W can keep our planes quite but the full scale departing on runway 18 that ued to fly a 45 to the south east will know be flying right over the new Sub Division. U just know the first house in there is going to complain that they didn't know that DAMN Airport was there. We use to hav all kinds of Balsa Eating trees around our field We thought it was great the new owner desided to cut most of them down. Sure wished we had them back so we couldn't be seen by the sub division.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:33 PM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by invertmast
Abu,
if you run the collector ring on the 770, it will actually be Quieter than an electric setup on a 50cc size model that is electric powered. That engine is extremely quiet. I would highly recommend demoing the operation of that motor to the club officers to try and get an exemption if it is a noise based ban.
There's no problem at all about the UMS 770. That's OK. It was just went I mentioned having just bought the large 3m wingspan model, it was automatically assumed that I'd be putting a 50cc gasser in it...and that prompted the informing that gassers were prohibited. The 770 is indeed very quite (with or without the collector ring).
Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The WW1 planes do not though, but both types are primarily powered by Gassers as they are just the most economical way to go on the big ones.
As you can problem guess, I'm not at all into aerobatics and all about "scale mission oriented" flying. So I'll add a scale dip before climbing into a loop and try to just barely "flop" over the top instead of making that unscale "perfect circle." So yet I very rarely fly at full throttle. The Paulistinha (or any Cub for that matter) is a very nice practice airplane for any WWI flyer.

Are you contemplating a gas engine? I thought you were more into the 4-strokes? There are some good 4-stroke gas choices now.
I believe the 4st gasoline engines, for example, from Saito would NOT be included in the ban. But they are fairly expensive. I don't have any gassers at the moment but I've always considered getting one.

There's aren't any "noise level" rules, it's just typical Japanese courtesy. If I want to use a gasser I'll have to go 30 minutes further down the road to another less ideal field.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:00 PM
vertical grimmace

Abu,

Check this one out. One of our club members has one of these, and it runs great. He has it on a big trainer type model. It would be perfect for a WW1 model. Especially in 1/4 scale. The only issue he has it he has to use a started to get it running. This may be more about his starting procedure though, but still, a standard started will spin it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ke_Engine.html
Old 11-27-2014, 05:09 PM
abufletcher

Looks good. But I guess I better finish the projects I'm already working on before wading in any deeper. I'll ask the guys at the field about 4st gassers.

The field itself is an absolutely gorgeous 300m long stretch of grass. It just couldn't be better for large scale models. Unfortunately, almost everyone else in the club only flies helis. Why on earth a heli needs a long "landing strip" I'll never know. It always seems to me that they could just as well fly in a parking lot.

Last edited by abufletcher; 11-27-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Fontanooch
My Feedback: (42)

ridiculous rule find a new place to fly

gas trimmers and leaf blowers make more noise
Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 PM
oil_can_harry

I personally like the noise ......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.