Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Dual Rx battery/Switch Set-up?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Dual Rx battery/Switch Set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:30 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarifications. I think all I really want/need is the BatShare. Unfortunately, even though it's only $30, international shipping to Japan would be an additional $45! I think for now I'll do without. And maybe order one for the next time I'm in the US (next February).
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Although I use and recommend the Smart Fly products, I don't deem the Batt Share as something that is a must. It's nice to have as I found with it my batteries would discharge almost identical. Useful tool if one battery starts taking more current to top off then you would be aware of a possible issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 AM
abufletcher

OK, I just have to ask. What's the deal with the DEANS plugs on the SmartFly products? I've always thought of those as something strictly for electric models (and frankly I hate them).
Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM
pedroaleman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abufletcher
I notice that in the manual for my "50cc size" (3 meter wingspan) Paulistinha P-56 it shows dual Rx batteries. I've heard of this before and on a model this size it sounds like a good idea. But how is it actually set up? What plugs into what? (Bear in mind I am extremely "electrically challenged.)

Also what counts as a "high torque" servo...for a model that will not be doing anything more than mild, scale aerobatics for a Cub-style aircraft? I've got some Futaba S3305 servos rated at 124 oz. in. at 6.0V. Will those do?

BTW, I've also got some Futaba S3001 but since I purchased them in Japan the torque ratings are in metric: 2.4 kg/cm at 4.8V or 3.0 kg/cm at 6V. Not sure how that compares with the S3305 servos.

(Ah, just did an online conversion. The S3001 servos would be about 41 oz.in. at 6V)
Hi Abu, important to me seems the use of metal gears at any control surface. But I am sure, you knew that. The throttle servo can be plastic or carbonite gear, but choose a good one, not the cheapest. Sometimes the protection against vibrations is not made accuratly.

I never had any plane with dual batteries. I learned soldering at Bosch, where I was trained as an industrial mechanic. Therefore, I can rely 100% on my work, doing all the electric stuff myself.

Now, in the digital age, I came back to 4 cell Nimh batteries. The servos are so fast and strong, that this is absolutely enough. Even for me, sometimes doing 3D and moving huge ailerons.

The new generation of Nimh-cells, such as the sanyo eneloop or the panasonic evolta are found at the supermarket. They stay charged for quite a long time. The package has to say "Ready to use" !!! Of course you need the skills and the strong tool to solder them. But I saw enough crashes with rubbish-batteries bought from the modellers-shop.

In my profile you find "Raudilio grande". This machine weighs 8 kilos, has a DLA58. The RX-battery is 2x4cells Panasonic evolta. They are soldered parallel. So, the capacity has doubled to 4000mah and also max current power to about 20 Amperes.

I dont use a switch. I connect the plus wire with a bridged Deans-Plug. You know that system and the power, needed to connect them. Gives you good safety.

The servos on ailerons and rudder are Graupner DES 707. Look at the specs. They are strong, not too fast and have a very low consumption of energy. I can do 30-40 flights of 15 minutes, if I want to. And look at the price!!!

Both elevators work with Hitec 5485HB, Don`t use them in your plane. Not because they would be bad!!! It is just because I have huge aerodynamic compensators. So they are not stressed with pulling really hard or by the vibrations of the engine. I guess they would do on your elevator, but I do not know the size of the surfaces.

The "switch" and the sanyo evolta RX-battery. The female part sitting in a plywood tray and locked with a piece of white plastic tube.

Pedro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0557.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2051872  

Last edited by pedroaleman65; 12-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 AM
abufletcher

Here are the specs on the Futaba 3305 servos I plan to use:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
pedroaleman65

Here are the specs on the Futaba 3305 servos I plan to use:
Yes, this will work for your purposes. It is slow, but therefore you won`t need expo to get your plane smooth. What I can recommend you to do is, use the Multiplex gold connectors to connect your ailerons. Don`t take the normal servo connectors. Secure the cables to the MPX with hot glue against vibrations and to have a grip.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Pedro, glad you're having success with 4 cells. I personally would never do it with modern radio systems due to 2.4 systems being less tolerant to low voltage conditions but if it works for you.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Pedro, glad you're having success with 4 cells. I personally would never do it with modern radio systems due to 2.4 systems being less tolerant to low voltage conditions but if it works for you.
Agreed, I would not ever install less then 6V RX pack with 2.4 in anything.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM
pedroaleman65

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It works really good. I fly a futaba FX18 radio converted to 2,4 GHz with an ACT module. Transmitter and receivers are doubled systems. Means, not only two antennas on the receiver, but two receivers working and comunicating as one. This receivers work down to 3 Volts, like the old futaba receivers did. And their new 2,4 types.

What I heard over the years, was that the old Multiplex-receivers were really delicate, when the voltage dropped under 4,8 volts. But this was before the 2,4 era.

With five of these cells, charged fully, you need a regulator. Until the peak drops down, you reach almost 8 Volt. And the nominal will be at around 6,5 Volts.

I keep everything as simple as possible and therefore I don`t want to use even a regulator. As some of you said, keep the sources for problems to the minimum.

And the modern, ready to use Nimh cells come with a higher nominal voltage. With four cells you come out at around 5,3 Volt.

Last edited by pedroaleman65; 12-03-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by pedroaleman65
It works really good. I fly a futaba FX18 radio converted to 2,4 GHz with an ACT module. Transmitter and receivers are doubled systems. Means, not only two antennas on the receiver, but two receivers working and comunicating as one. This receivers work down to 3 Volts, like the old futaba receivers did. And their new 2,4 types.

What I heard over the years, was that the old Multiplex-receivers were really delicate, when the voltage dropped under 4,8 volts. But this was before the 2,4 era.

With five of these cells, charged fully, you need a regulator. Until the peak drops down, you reach almost 8 Volt. And the nominal will be at around 6,5 Volts.

I keep everything as simple as possible and therefore I don`t want to use even a regulator. As some of you said, keep the sources for problems to the minimum.

And the modern, ready to use Nimh cells come with a higher nominal voltage. With four cells you come out at around 5,3 Volt.
Would you please explain more about your two receiver setup and how it works?

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A terminology question: As people are using them here are the terms "powerboard" and "regulator" the same? (And is the BatShare a "regulator?")
Keep in mind Abu, that many of these items were originally developed for the IMAC/3D aircraft with lots of ganged servos, and large power requirements. You will see many of the battery connectors are in fact Deans style, which are geared toward heavier current.

The "Power board" is very useful when lots of servos are used on 1 channel.

So, with that said, it is important to think about what your requirements are. If you are just gonna scale fly around the sky, and your plane does not have a lot of servos, the original point of 2 switches, batteries, should be fine
Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

KISS ... keep it simple stupid. Paid money to learn that a long time ago in college. Paid money to learn it too. Dual batteries are a good idea. I do it even in my Jets. No power boxes. Two switches, two plug ins and one battery voltage indicator, plugged in or Y'd in the Rx outlets. You can use a simple inexpensive LED light bar to read voltage..... while you move the servos around, on the ground you can see the voltage drops with the servo movements. It gives you a simple way to show how your RX and servos are effected by current draw. Turn one switch on and check it, turn that off and the other on and check it, now both on and check it. Simple. Remember, With dual packs, if one goes bad, it will pull the other down. If you are at the field and one pack is bad or not fully charged, you have the option to fly with one pack.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

Depends on the airplane. A 150cc 3D airplane is going to draw much more current then any jet or sport airplane. Keeping it simple is always a good idea but you still have to match the equipment to the airplane and expected performance level. Sometimes this means more equipment in the airplane.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 PM
pedroaleman65

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
Would you please explain more about your two receiver setup and how it works?

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Okay Ed, but don`t expect too much from a mechanic...... As I said, there are two receivers in one housing or in the lighter versions without the housing but a shrink tube. You do not have kinda satellites like the spectrum system. Therefore less cables or connectors that could be sources for problems.

The antennas you position in a right angle. So you have the best conditions for receiving the signals. The receiver with the strongest signal is taking command of the servos. It depends on the flying position of your plane.

The antennas of the transmitter are positioned the same way. Yes, and here are also two transmitters working in one housing. The power is therefore 2x100 milliwatt not only 100.

There are quite some systems like mine on the market. Weatronic for example or Yeti duplex, I think goes the same way. Some of the Jet-Pilots rely only on this systems.

Pedro
Old 12-03-2014, 02:22 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I base a lot of what I do from what I see and whom I talk with at major competition events held here such as Top Gun, Monster Planes, Florida Jets. And I have yet to see one plane with nothing but two batteries and two switches going to the Rx. If it is anything more than a 50cc, more than one servo per surface, high voltage, and lots of money you can bet your sweet petunias there is some form of power board on board. But for the smaller cc's, fewer servos, lower voltage, I agree it is not necessary or needed.

But then on the other hand I did fry a Rx on a 26cc profile with standard everything, just wasn't up to the power of all the servos going ape sheet at the same time under load.

Last edited by acerc; 12-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:24 PM
pedroaleman65

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Depends on the airplane. A 150cc 3D airplane is going to draw much more current then any jet or sport airplane. Keeping it simple is always a good idea but you still have to match the equipment to the airplane and expected performance level. Sometimes this means more equipment in the airplane.
Yes, you are right.... No one will go to to the TOC or Joe Nall with my simple equipment, these machines really require another setup
Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM
speedracerntrixie

Right you are Pedro. A regulated system is really needed at that level. The top guys need to have servos running the same speed and power whether the first or last flight of the day. I would like to think my 40% Extra is capable even if I'm not LOL
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Flyfast1

Originally Posted by pedroaleman65
Okay Ed, but don`t expect too much from a mechanic...... As I said, there are two receivers in one housing or in the lighter versions without the housing but a shrink tube. You do not have kinda satellites like the spectrum system. Therefore less cables or connectors that could be sources for problems.

The antennas you position in a right angle. So you have the best conditions for receiving the signals. The receiver with the strongest signal is taking command of the servos. It depends on the flying position of your plane.

The antennas of the transmitter are positioned the same way. Yes, and here are also two transmitters working in one housing. The power is therefore 2x100 milliwatt not only 100.

There are quite some systems like mine on the market. Weatronic for example or Yeti duplex, I think goes the same way. Some of the Jet-Pilots rely only on this systems.

Pedro
Pedro,

What is the device that the two receivers are connected to that switches to the receiver with the strongest signal. Sorry if I missed something here.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
abufletcher

Since my only goal with the P-56 ARF is to get to know how my Seidel-UMS 770 operates (and operates under actual flight conditions), I won't be doing anything fancier than a slow loop, barrel roll, or an Immelmann. The Sopwth Strutter this engine will eventually go into won't even be doing that. I don't fly at shows (and the club field is empty most of the time) so the chances of damaging anything besides the model (and my pride, and of course my wallet) is minimal. I've got heavy duty, metal-gear servos (Futaba 3305), heavy duty twisted servo extensions, and two brand new 6.0V 2000mAh NiMh battery packs.

So for my purposes the simple dual battery/dual switch system into the Rx should be enough for right now. Later on, I'll add the BattShare or something similar.

Last edited by abufletcher; 12-03-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I use and recommend the Smart Fly products, I don't deem the Batt Share as something that is a must. It's nice to have as I found with it my batteries would discharge almost identical. Useful tool if one battery starts taking more current to top off then you would be aware of a possible issue.
Yep, same here. I use 2 batts plugged directly into the receiver and they both draw evenly.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 AM
abufletcher

Agreed, I would not ever install less then 6V RX pack with 2.4 in anything.
That seems a little extreme. Nowadays the vast majority of RC flyers now fly with 2.4 radios and the vast majority of them are using simple 4.8V Rx packs. But, of course, the vast majority of modelers aren't flying enormous models. Personally, I've used 4.8V packs with 2.4 radios for over 5 years...but it's all been 50-class 4st models.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The new generation of Nimh-cells, such as the sanyo eneloop or the panasonic evolta are found at the supermarket. They stay charged for quite a long time.
Yes, that's what I'm using at the moment too. But it's important to remember the limitations of these cells. These batteries in the AA size have a limited current delivery capability,
As you can see by the discharge curve they maintain their rated 1.2 volts through most of their discharge up to about 2 amps. Two battery packs would give you 4 amps max.

Some jets using really powerful servos on all-moving tails or large gas powered 3D aerobatic models with ganged servos max exceed this & drag the battery voltage down under
extreme loads to dangerous levels.

But for 99% of 'average' models (like I fly) no problems at all. - John.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eneloop discharge rate characteristics.gif
Views:	494
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2052063  
Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

Quite so, then again I started using 6V packs well before 2.4 hit the market. It was a good way to get a bit more power and speed out of the servos. I just carried the practice over when the 2.4 stuff came out. Lots of guys that were having issues with the early Spektrum stuff was using the supplied 4.8V battery. I never experienced the same issues with my 6V packs. However you are correct as even then the smallest airplane in my fleet was 1.2 powered. Even now with the pylon racing I have been doing the airplanes are fairly small ( 64" span ) but are powered with a YS 115, have electric retracts and travel well over 150 mph I use LiFe 6.6V batteries and have had zero radio issues.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM
pedroaleman65

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
Pedro,

What is the device that the two receivers are connected to that switches to the receiver with the strongest signal. Sorry if I missed something here.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
My dear friend Ed, you brought me to the limit now.

My receiver is a divercity system uniting the electronic pieces of two receivers on one plate. I really cannot tell you what that piece is called, switching to the receiver with the better signal. But it is not an external device, it is also sitting on the same plate.

Klaus Westerteicher from ACT-Europe could tell you that. He worked for Multiplex and Robbe/Futaba before he sold his own products.

sorry, if my knowledge is not that big

Pedro
Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 AM
pedroaleman65

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Yes, that's what I'm using at the moment too. But it's important to remember the limitations of these cells. These batteries in the AA size have a limited current delivery capability,
As you can see by the discharge curve they maintain their rated 1.2 volts through most of their discharge up to about 2 amps. Two battery packs would give you 4 amps max.

Some jets using really powerful servos on all-moving tails or large gas powered 3D aerobatic models with ganged servos max exceed this & drag the battery voltage down under
extreme loads to dangerous levels.

But for 99% of 'average' models (like I fly) no problems at all. - John.

These are not evolta or eneloop. If the diagram shows an AA or Mignon size, it must be an old type. The new AAA or micro size could give you 3-4 amps. If my AA were that weak, all my machines come down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.