Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Paintable fabric covering question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Paintable fabric covering question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paintable fabric covering question

What type of paintable fabric covering (for control surfaces) are you using and where do you buy it? I'm not interested in Monocoat and similar plastic-type products. Starting a build of the Spitfire below after being out of airplanes for a few years.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	en45910.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2052126  
Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 AM
abufletcher

Probably the #1 choice is Solartex (for easy), followed by Koverall (which needs the weave filled with either dope or polycrylic). Both are heat-shrink. Warning: Koverall can crush and warp delicate structures.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lest not leave out Poly-lite, a much tighter weave than Koverall hence easier to fill. If one was going to use self tautening dope then any polyester would do.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Scratchie

I appreciate the feedback, I'll check out each of these suggestions and let you know what I chose. Since it's only for control surfaces I don't want to buy a whole lot of products needed to apply the covering...

Dope over polyester sems easy and cheap, but it's been a really, really long time since I used any dope. It seems to me I just brushed on as many coats as I needed, is that right? However dope over polyester sounds heavy, since building a Spitfire any extra tail weight is a real problem...
Old 12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scratchie, if it were me, I would use Solartex and then paint it with the same paint you use on your plane. One small roll of covering is all that you would need to buy.

Iron it on and then paint - easy peasy!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
acerc

You may want to check with your fellow flyers, someone may have some pieces laying around.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:02 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
You may want to check with your fellow flyers, someone may have some pieces laying around.
+1 even better!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchie
I appreciate the feedback, I'll check out each of these suggestions and let you know what I chose. Since it's only for control surfaces I don't want to buy a whole lot of products needed to apply the covering...

Dope over polyester sems easy and cheap, but it's been a really, really long time since I used any dope. It seems to me I just brushed on as many coats as I needed, is that right? However dope over polyester sounds heavy, since building a Spitfire any extra tail weight is a real problem...
Dope is pretty light. Two coats of Nitrate on the bare balsa, slap on the fabric and dope it down with more nitrate, brush 2 coats of nitrate on the fabric, top coat with either butryrate dope (if that's what you are using for the rest of the plane) or paint with just about anything over the nitrate.

carl
Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 PM
abufletcher

Another possibility for smaller models and for flight surfaces is polyspan. Here's a nice YouTube tutorial on applying it. I've tested it myself and it's very light.

On the other hand, I did a "puncture" test with polyspan vs. solartex vs. koverall and solartex was the clear winner. A pencil tip went right through the polyspan/dope covering (with a loud pop) and also through the koverall. It took considerably more force to break through the solartex.

Last edited by abufletcher; 12-05-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Scratchie

how is the solartex weight?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:39 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Scratchie
how is the solartex weight?
It's light enough. For what I think you are looking to do, Solartex is your best avenue. I would however suggest using a supplement adhesive such as Balsarite or Sigs Stixit to insure the Solartex does not get loose.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:36 PM
abufletcher

It's light enough. For what I think you are looking to do, Solartex is your best avenue. I would however suggest using a supplement adhesive such as Balsarite or Sigs Stixit to insure the Solartex does not get loose.
Bear in mind that when you're covering with solartex, in addition to sticking the fabric to the frame you are sticking it to itself...at the overlapping edges. And solartex sticks to itself very well. Just make sure you have a good 1/4 inch of overlap.

BTW, I've found that as an alternative to possibly hard to get balsarite or stixit you can just use watered down white glue. Brush it on, let it dry, then when you apply the heat of the iron it reactivates ("melts") the white glue.

Last edited by abufletcher; 12-07-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:20 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by abufletcher
Brush it on, let it dry, then when you apply the heat of the iron it reactivates ("melts") the white glue.
I use that method on wood, especially sheeting. Did not know it would work with covering, very cool. See fellas this old dog just learned a new trick.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 PM
grover1

Have a look at hammerd tips here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2290028&page=6
It may help you
Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 AM
abufletcher

I use that method on wood, especially sheeting. Did not know it would work with covering, very cool. See fellas this old dog just learned a new trick.
Living someplace fairly remote has its advantages. I'd also used this method to attach fabric to aluminum tubing.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by grover1
Have a look at hammerd tips here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2290028&page=6
It may help you
Amazing stuff! But then Hammered is one of the most amazing modelers around.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:18 PM
ARUP

Polyester fabrics with some type of paint (I like to use dope, personally) will be the lightest for a fabric type finish. Solartex is very strong because it has a coating of adhesive (more weight) on one side which binds the fibers together a little more. Be sure to use an adhesive on the structure before putting on the Solartex. It's great stuff but needs a little 'help' in that department (in my experience). Even though you intend using something like this on your control surfaces and some may argue the weight will be negligible one way or the other... just remember... the weight matters when you add everything together!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM
abufletcher

A square yard of Solartex might weigh somewhat more than a square yard of koverall or other polyester fabric. But you don't have to "fill the weave" when using Solartex. So the question is how does the weight of a square yard of Solartex compare with the weight of a square yard of fabric plus 2-3 coats of nitrate dope or polycrylic (plus the dope or balsarite you have to apply to the frame to stick it on).
Old 12-08-2014, 01:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abufletcher
A square yard of Solartex might weigh somewhat more than a square yard of koverall or other polyester fabric. But you don't have to "fill the weave" when using Solartex. So the question is how does the weight of a square yard of Solartex compare with the weight of a square yard of fabric plus 2-3 coats of nitrate dope or polycrylic (plus the dope or balsarite you have to apply to the frame to stick it on).
Well said.

Solartex requires no primer, either. Color coats can be sprayed directly. This eliminates more weight.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 PM
ARUP

Glue is heavier than paint. Dope is very lightweight since the vehicle in which it's pigments are dissolved/ suspended evaporates away. I can't remember the numbers but it is somewhere around 80%? I remember comparing Solartex to some doped fabric and I even weighed it. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact figures but my doped fabric was a 'smidge' lighter. Results may vary. The next time I crash and do a recover I'll definitely re-compare! Let's hope that doesn't happen any time too soon!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man you can learn all kinds of stuff just cruising around reading threads. learning the many ways helps to make better choices whatever your doing.

Leroy
Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Poly-light system for me as well, but if I were going for the lightest, the old dope and silk is hard to pass. Dope the structure a couple of times, scuff with 1500 grit, lay down the silk, spray light mist of water over silk, pull tight with fingers, while wet dope perimeter, allow to dry and dope open bay areas. That is how I was taught long ago when I was messing with my ukies and free flights. Kinda miss the old days...

Bob
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
ARUP

Sensei- tell ya what... I'm going to go the silk and dope route for the tail feathers of my 1/4 scale Franklin 'Eaglet' sailplane that I'm scratch building presently! I just might put silk on the top surface of the fuselage, too!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:21 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sure it will turn out beautiful, everything I have seen of yours turns out that way!

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-19-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
acerc

I use Stits exclusively and can tell ya it is lighter as a finished product than the silver Solartex, but don't remember the numbers. As was mentioned earlier the only thing left after evaporation is the color. Waconut is currently recovering a 1/3 scale Cub and is going to do a weight test for himself. So when he is done one could find some actual numbers in his thread if so desired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.