Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Paintable fabric covering question

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Paintable fabric covering question

Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Stits exclusively and can tell ya it is lighter as a finished product than the silver Solartex, but don't remember the numbers. As was mentioned earlier the only thing left after evaporation is the color. Waconut is currently recovering a 1/3 scale Cub and is going to do a weight test for himself. So when he is done one could find some actual numbers in his thread if so desired.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I completed my test of Solartex weight compared to painted fabric.

I made a test panel for weight comparison while I was covering my 1/3 J-3 Cub. The panel was 8"x9". I used the Stits process for finishing the fabric. The Poly Fiber Lite fabric was attached to the panel with Poly Brush the fabric was then sprayed with 2 coats of Poly Brush and then 2 coats of Ploy Spray (silver base) I then sprayed 3 coats of Poly Tone color coat (OEM J-3 Yellow). The test panel was then sprayed with a heavy coat of NASAN clear coat.

I cut the test panel out of it's frame and laid it over Solartex Cub Yellow and cut the Solartex to match. I removed the backing and weighed the 2 panels.

Solartex= 4.4 grams
Stits = 9.7 grams

Now there is a lot of room here for variation. My test panel and plane came out with a very smooth finish. No hint of any fabric weave showing in the finish. I probably could have gone with just once coat of Poly Spray (Silver) and 2 coats of Poly Tone (Color) and one lighter coat of clear and come in at under 2x the Solartex weight.

Now this is my opinion and just take it for that, we all know how opinions go. Everyone has one.

I had my Cub originally covered in Solartex Cub Yellow, it was very transparent. You could see all the structure thru the fabric especially with the sun behind the plane. I was constantly having to re-shrink the Solartex. Also when I removed the Solartex it was too easy to remove. It was barely stuck to the airframe. It also tears very easy. In my opinion it adds no strength to the airframe.

A real fabric finish is much more durable, never needs re-shrinking. I believe the minor weight penalty is far outweighed by the benefits.

Now you could add stix-it or similar to the Solartex and spray it silver then your color coat to eliminate the transparency but this would eliminate the weight savings and still have a covering that is weaker than real fabric and deal with the re-shrinking which can be an issue after painting..

I am attaching pics of the test panels, in the first picture the Stits is at the top and solartex on the bottom.

Hope this helps someone!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	test 002.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	2057374   Click image for larger version

Name:	test 001.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	2057375  

Last edited by WacoNut; 12-23-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to say my memory did not serve me well. Thanks for the results Anthony.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 PM
WacoNut

No Problem Robert,
Like I said there is a lot of room for variation. My 1st time using the Stits process and I more than likely was a little heavy handed with the spray equipment. I did get a nice finish on the plane though.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-24-2014, 03:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you may be misinterpreting your results, Anthony.

I wonder why you have to continually re-shrink your Solartex. I have not experienced that problem. I do use hair spray as an adhesion enhancer, however.

In my opinion, the silver is unnecessary. It was originally designed to prevent UV rays from deteriorating the fabric. Since our models aren't subject to the same weather rigors as the full size, it doesn't need to be used.

I agree with the transparency of the colored Solartex. I wouldn't use it. A model, covered in Natural Solartex and properly painted will not have these issues.

The weight thing is another matter. I'm not a weight watcher. LOL I do feel that if you are going to compare Solartex to the Stitts System, for weight, you have to use painted Natural Solartex.

Both products work well in my opinion. They both look good when finished. I do feel that Solartex is less effort, however.

To make it clear, my remarks are for Natural Solartex and paint, not the pre-colored Solartex.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:15 AM
WacoNut

Hi Tom,
I can say for sure that without a silver coat yellow paint is too transparent. Yellow paint has very little pigment. I tried to spray yellow over the Yellow Solartex and it didn't help much.

The issues I had with the Solartex having to be re-shrunk could be due to how I originally shrunk the fabric. Not sure? I am constantly having to re-shrink any plane I cover with monokote as well. The only time I have had to re-shrink a fabric covered plane is to remove a little dent from hangar rash.

Merry Christmas!!
Anthony
Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anthony, it may have been the paint. I have no transparency issues on my Natural Solartex covered, painted Cessna Airmaster.

It was painted with no primer over the open bays. The top coat was sprayed directly to the Solartex.

There really is no right or wrong, here. It simply a matter of preferance. We are all better off by using what works for us, and what we are comfortable with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	2057485