Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Krylon paint

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Krylon paint

Old 05-05-2015, 11:53 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Krylon paint

How fuel proof is Krylon paint for both Gas and Glow?If not,what do you top coat it with.jeff
Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had much better luck with Rustoleum.

If you must use Krylon, clearcoating with Nelson's will do the job. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php

Last edited by TomCrump; 05-06-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My one experience with Krylon suggests that it is NOT fuel proof for glow fuel. Much better luck with Rustoleum, but not all are fuel proof. I top coat latex with Klass Kote epoxy.
Chuck
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Friends of mine have had problems with krylon cracking BADLY over cloth as well..... I personally use hobby acrylics for weathered scale looking planes, followed by two light coats of Rustoleum clear" I only fly gasoline and electric ..so I have no help on glow motors...

Last edited by foodstick; 05-06-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typed primer when I meant clear...
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more interested in gas,but while I was asking,I wanted to get the full dope on the product.Dick Petit uses krylon on gas planes in his articles,so I was curious how it held up.jeffo
Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience with Krylon has not been nearly as good as with Rustoleum.

Krylon does not spray as well, and doesn't have as much gloss. I'd say that it is barely adequate for gas models, but if you want to use it, go ahead.

A similar product would be Ace brand aerosols They spray better than Krylon and possess a higher gloss. I like Rustoleum better, but I use a fair share of Ace aerosol paints.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

They reformulated Krylon some time back and in my opinion, it is horrible paint now. Poor coverage, poor gloss, sprays poorly, etc. I no longer use it for home projects, much less anything on an airplane. As Tom said, Rustoleum is a far better product and superior in every way I can detect. I does dry much slower than Krylon though. The new spray nozzles on the Rustoleum cans is a nice improvement also. The only spray can paint I ever used that was superior was the old, now long gone Pactra Formula U.

Rustoleum has moderate resistance to glo fuel and excellent resistance to gasoline. The regular white can Rustoleum dries slower than the tall can, Industrial Formula but the white can has more gloss. The white can clear offers quite a bit of additional shine but make sure you sand the gloss off the base coat using something like 1000 grit W/D or the clear will not adhere well. Unlike many enamel paints, Rustoleum can be color sanded and buffed to a very high shine. Good stuff and its cheap!

Not a substitute for something like Klass Kote or automotive paints but Rustoleum works extremely well in many cases.

Last edited by Truckracer; 05-07-2015 at 05:29 PM.