Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts Special Brotherhood

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts Special Brotherhood

Old 09-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, with an elevator servo failure last weekend we are actually going down by one. It was on a downwind leg over the trees on the far side. No elevator response at all after a nice flight so I cut the throttle and leveled the wings and waited for the big "CRUNCH!" Several guys waded through the pucker-brush to help retrive it and got to it before I did. I kept wiggling the sticks and the sound guided them to it. The fusleage for the most part was untouched except for the cabane struts and canopy being mangled. The top wing is three large pieces and the bottom wing has several large semi-circular dents in the leading edge. On the ground the elevator would respond to the first set of up down inputs but move progressivly less until it stopped. All the other channels would respond as commanded without change. The elevator servo would start moving again if it was moved first by hand and then repeat the sequence. The plane and servos are pretty old as I bought it used about 5 years ago. Possibly a lesson to replace those hard working servos after a number of seasons. I've put an ad in to see if there are any spare parts out there as this plane has been out of production for a long time.

#11 Jaybird (Jatbird in the list)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6317.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2117845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6318.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2117846  

Last edited by Jaybird; 09-02-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that just suck's, big time.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Jaybird

It doesn't look like there are any replacement parts available. Sooo... now I'm looking for a simialr size 1/4 scale Pitts airframe suitable for a Saito 150 four stroke. I'll take suggestions.

Jaybird
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 AM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

Hey guys,

I finally managed to get my GP Pitts airborne again. I was out a couple of weekends ago. I had forgotten just how much fun the plane is. I also took my UMX Pitts along just for fun.
Sorry about the Cermark Pitts Jaybird. Those are great airplanes.

Name:	20150906_173900.jpg
Views:	1477
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2119896  
Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 AM
acerc

I have asked the moderators to give me the ability to add in new members to no avail. Being that I can't add them other than the current page and the fact that this site is being bombarded by add's as well as a general decline from what it use to be I am conceding on doing the brotherhood.
Thanks to those that came aboard. And, thanks, to those that have supported me in my Pitts mania. After I finish the current Pitts build you can find me on the Giant Scale news site. This, http://www.giantscalenews.com/thread...allenger.2728/ , is my current thread and it will continue just as soon as the weather permits.
Again, thank you.

Last edited by acerc; 09-18-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:16 PM
acerc

Modracer07 (aka) Chris came out to 12 O'clock High today and got a close up and personal view of the Eagle, I think he liked it. Thanks Chris, it may not have seemed like it but I really enjoyed meeting and conversing with you. This was my first event on that side of the fence and realized real quick it was not time to relax. It was a very busy, active, nervous time, but I am sure I will get more use to the surrounding the more I do it. I am pretty sure I talked more in those three days than I have all year. But it was very nice seeing the fruits of my labor so appreciated by so many.

Name:	2015-10-17 12.38.08.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2125942  

Last edited by acerc; 10-18-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:56 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the Pitts Special Brotherhood still active? See no activity since 2015.

Is the 1st time I see the post and I have had a my Pitts since 2008. Still flies and its in very good condition. Its a Great Planes large scale model, powered by a 3W 55 US. Flies great although does love to belly up when doing stall turns. Have to apply contrary aileron to rudder for it to stall turn nicely..

Anyway, if the brotherhood is still active, let me know. Thanks
Old 09-24-2021, 09:26 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Heck, I forgot I had signed up for auto notification. Thanks for reminding me.

I don't have a Pitts right now (nor have had, yet). But I am acquiring the parts to build a 1/3 scale Andy Sheber Pitts s1s. My plans from Rick Boyer are supposed to arrive today.
I have a DlE 60cc engine for it as well as the fiberglass parts and canopy from fiberglass Specialties. I bought all of those a couple of years ago. Now I working on the electronics. I have the batteries, servos, and the receivers. Still need to purchase the sensors, and switches to complete all of the electronics.

For big expensive builds I like to have all of the spendy parts on hand all ready.

I am using Hitec HS-645MG High Torque, Metal Gear (4) for flight control surfaces) and a Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo for the throttle. Aluminum servo arms all the way around. Batteries will be (3) Spectrum 6.6V 2200mAh LiFe batteries. 1 will be ignition and 2 for the radio power into there own switch for redundancy. Will Y cable the 2 switches together then into the Rx. Receivers will be 2 FrSky RX8R PRO. The second Rx will be for redundancy.. My transmitter for all of my planes is FrSky Horus X10.

Covering will be SIG Koverall and aircraft dope.

Right now my wife and i are in the process of moving 2000 miles. my shop is either packed or the bigger tools pushed out of the way. So the build will not happen the year for sure, but hoping to start the winter of next year.

acerc invited future builders to go ahead and use his 2 threads to post their own builds. So I will do that. He did 2 build threads.
Heck, I forgot I had signed up for auto notification. Thanks for reminding me.

I don't have a Pitts right now (nor have had, yet). But I am acquiring the parts to build a 1/3 scale Andy Sheber Pitts s1s. My plans from Rick Boyer are supposed to arrive today.
I have a DlE 60cc engine for it as well as the fiberglass parts and canopy from fiberglass Specialties. I bought all of those a couple of years ago. Now I working on the electronics. I have the batteries, servos, and the receivers. Still need to purchase the sensors, and switches to complete all of the electronics.

To be truthful when I bought the engine, if I had been aware of the Saito 60cc twin I would have gone that way even though it has less power.

Not using any digital servos, just analog. I am using Hitec HS-645MG High Torque, Metal Gear (4) for flight control surfaces) and a Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo for the throttle. Aluminum servo arms all the way around. Batteries will be (3) Spectrum 6.6V 2200mAh LiFe batteries. 1 will be ignition and 2 for the radio power into there own switch for redundancy. Will Y cable the 2 switches together then into the Rx. Receivers will be 2 FrSky RX8R PRO. The second Rx will be for redundancy.. My transmitter for all of my planes is FrSky Horus X10.

For sensors I intend to use a voltage sensor on each Rx battery, SP-FLVS - Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor. Nothing on ignition. I also intend to install an FrSky Air Speed Sensor (SPASS-70). Still need to purchase the sensors.

I also have a Dualsky FC151 - 3D Stabilizer to rescue me from panic situations, hopefully.

Covering will be SIG Koverall and aircraft dope.

Right now my wife and i are in the process of moving 2000 miles. my shop is either packed or the bigger tools pushed out of the way. So the build will not happen the year for sure, but hoping to start the winter of next year.

acerc invited future builders to go ahead and use his 2 threads to post their own builds. So I will do that. Here and Here. I will link back here.

Ken
Old 09-25-2021, 03:49 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Good luck with your move. Guess is across the continent. Hope you build your 1/3 scale Pitts.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:48 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually about 2/3 across country. Ca. to Mo.
Got my plans.
For any one looking to build one of these you can contact Rick Boyer at [email protected]
He has other plans also.
This a video of the Pitts he built and flew in the 2010 Top Gun

Ken
Old 06-19-2022, 09:04 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

Can anybody tell me which company made this Pitts? Seller told me Cermark but it looks different than all the photos I find online...
Old 06-19-2022, 12:38 PM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

Default Dave Patrick Pitts

What you have is the Dave Patrick/Cermark Signature Series version 1 Pitts. I have one I got for Christmas back in the late 90’s. It was a great flyer with a 120 four stroke. It is stored now, awaiting restoration. I have a manual I could scan and email to you if needed.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:59 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Please add me to the brotherhood of the coveted Pitts Special. About a year ago I acquired this Pilot 33.5% version. Slowly getting her ready to cover. Still haven’t decided on Oratex and paint or Monokote covering as of yet. Power will be Webra Bully 35cc on glow. The plan is to duplicate the Pitts that Art Scholl rode to his final resting place while filming Top Gun.