Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ohio Dawn Patrol

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Ohio Dawn Patrol

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let the photo flood for tonight begin...

I shot over 400 images this year (not a lot really these days). Edited those down to less than 90. Tweaked them a bit. These are the better of those (I think).

Last edited by Lucky Dog; 07-23-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Lucky Dog

My planes may be small, but my pictures are big.

1909?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Lucky Dog

Somewhere over France 1917 perhaps?

Gary Denzler. Announcer and DJ.Pus Demoiselle flier and builder.

Last edited by Lucky Dog; 07-23-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Lucky Dog

Got Fokker?

Paul Westrich. The man behind the Ohio Dawn Patrol. Of course he gets a lot of great help.

I didn't get a shot of Jim's gorgeous 1/3 DH2, so I got a picture of Jim.

And of course Mr. Lee McDufee. Event director.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Lucky Dog

And of course the ever gracious hostess of ODP, Michelle Westrich.

That's about all I have.

Here's a link to the album with a few more:
http://s39.photobucket.com/user/mbealmear/slideshow/2015%20Ohio%20Dawn%20Patrol

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Lucky Dog; 07-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wooo whoooo, Mike!

You got some great pictures. Thanks for posting.
It's obvious to me that if a pilot missed this year's ODP, he missed a great time! ....and should be planning ahead so as to not miss next year!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:30 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Mike,
Thank you very much for taking our pictures every year. I know it is a lot of work...
It was a hoot hangin with you, David and Greg E. for a bit under the shade tent, you guys really make me laugh......
Greg, I don't really like electrics.... but yours was cool as hell! (your "start-up" sounded just like my belly at lunch time...LOL)
David.....what can I say.......YOU NAILED IT! (that was one sickass pic) LOL!
Mike ...Thanks again for being the shutterbug..........

HPA
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Thanks Paul, but really if your stomach sounds like a LeRhone engine starting up, you should get that checked out buddy!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 AM
WinterHawke

Lee's Ohio Dawn Patrol photo phlud (late as usual) . . .

Sorry for the delay in posting photos - it's been hectic since ODP. FINALLY got a small window of time to regroup and get some postings in.

Helen and I got to the Aeromodeler's flying field around suppertime on Thursday evening, July 16th. My GoPro Sopwith Pup was in need of some TLC (ie, maintenance), but I was hoping to sneak in a bit of flying anyway. After settling in at the field we got to watch a bit of early evening gaggle flying - there would be a LOT of that all weekend long at this year's ODP.

We also got the Flags of the Great War display up along the entrance road, and prior to going out to get a bit of supper with Helen and Doug Cox, I also got the chance to test-fly John Mueller's GTM 1/3 Fokker D.VI. John had tried a couple take-offs, but a combination of sensitive rudder and low power (his D.VI has a gear-reduction unit, and I don't think it's propped near-optimally) caused him to groundloop. I had better luck, and managed a few circuits around the field with it, and got at least the initial trim settings set for him, as well as some recommendations (like cutting the control movements in half - way too sensitive - and reviewing the whole power setup).

For me, it was a bit nostalgic, as the first time I was on the Aeromodelers field (after a gap of some 20 years following my last pattern contest attended at the same field) was the famed "Fokker Scourge" video session by Del Johnson when I flew two GTM triplanes (Del's and Gary Denzler's) and two GTM D.VI's (Gary Vogel's and HPA's).

Don't know if anyone got any pictures or vids of the testflight, but it went fine, and I even managed a decent landing AND kept it out of the weeds!

Later in the evening, all the planes are in storage, awaiting the next dawn . . .

Old 08-01-2015, 11:46 AM
WinterHawke

Got up EARLY Friday morning to get coffee started, and to catch the Dawn Patrol in action.

Turns out there were SEVEN planes on that early dawn flight(!) - quite a site and sound!!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
WinterHawke

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Greg Emerick's new 1/4 scale DH-2 took part in the gaggle in the morning sky - not quite sure I'm lovin' the sound module, but it at least didn't sound entirely like an electric plane (I did miss the start-up sequence, so I missed maybe one of the better bits!)

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM
WinterHawke

The Ohio Dawn Patrol features two intersecting runways - not quite 90 degrees from each other - and midway through the dawn the flying moved from one to the other to get out of the sun's glare.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM
WinterHawke

The Alberto Santos-DuMont Demoiselle Monoplane

One favorite of mine at ODW is getting to see Gary Denzler's fabulous 2/3 scale Demoiselle Monoplane in action - and THIS year I finally got to drive it around for the first time!

It actually flew much better than I expected - hardly any trim change with throttle changes, and very predictable. Thanks, Gary, for giving me a chance on the sticks with this one!!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM
WinterHawke

Balsa USA had two rep's on site for the event - "Wild" Bill Malloy and Chad Asmus.

WildBill was flying (amongst several planes) his prototype BUSA 1/3 Triplane, recently refinished in the markings of Joseph Jacobs:

Chad was wheeling Balsa USA's latest addition to the family, the Junkers D.I. I only managed one pic of this one as it flew by hiding in the treeline:

Sadly, the Junkers went down during the event, apparently a rudder linkage failure (and not at all remotely because - somehow - Paul W was involved . . .).

Singling out a couple more BUSA monoplanes, maybe one of the oldest at the event was Greg Emerick's venerable Fokker Eindekker:

Another BUSA monoplane was Mike Bealmear's Taube:

Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 AM
WinterHawke

Keith Zimmerly is the master at creating giant scale models that are incredibly light - this year for ODP he was flying his 1/2 scale Nieuport 11

The other 1/2 scale at ODP was, of course, Paul Westrich's famous Fokker D.VI:

John Romeo brought along his 1/3 scale BUSA Sopwith Pup in training colors:

Still working on those landings . . . fortunately none the worse for wear!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 AM
WinterHawke

One other oldie Balsa USA model was in attendance - Randy Adam's Nieuport 28, which was originally built by Doug Cox and first flown just prior to the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous in 2003:

Randy's personal cheering section included Doug, Randy's wife Robin, AND two grandsons!

Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM
WinterHawke

Prior to the Saturday evening feast it was Awards and Pilot Prize time. This gave Doug and I a chance to FINALLY catch up with Paul Westrich, and present him with a Certificate of Appreciation for his Dawn Patrol efforts, particularly in the 1/2 scale cheerleading section.

We had this award ready at Dayton back in 2014, but he was already on the road when we gave others out to Rhonda and Art Shelton, Mike Bealmear and Dave Lewis (of BUSA).

The cheering section cautioned me NOT to ignore Michele . . . we didn't. From living with Paul all this time she SURELY has already reached Sainthood, and I got nothin' to award that would top THAT!!!

Paul then handed out two plaques for the Best Of's at ODW 2015:

Best Entente Plane - Keith Zimmerly and his Nieuport 11:

Best Central Powers - Andy Marone and his Albatros D.Va

One guy kept winning most of the door prizes, and for once, it wasn't Ken Alcorn!!

But the bestest award ever was when Art Shelton's name was announced as NOT winner of the Balsa USA Gift Certificate!!

Wouldn't you know, though . . . apparently he knew the guy who won . . . so got his picture with Paul anyway!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM
WinterHawke

We lost an old Dawn Patrol friend during the weekend - this well-known BUSA 1/3 Sopwith Pup (Billy Thompson's old ride which he sold a few years ago to the Louisville gang) - apparently one of those disorientation events in the early morning overcast sky, and the Pup spiraled in.

Bonfire, and viking funeral for the Farm Fokker

Said goodbye to one other plane at ODP 2015, but this time it was being permanently retired. The 1/4 BUSA Fokker Triplane that Del Johnson had called his "Farm Fokker" (one of two planes of his with that moniker, the other being the HPA'd D.VII) and that I campaigned in his honor during 2012 after he passed away.

Del didn't build the plane, instead just used it as his "knockaround flier" out at his farm. It was in fairly rough shape when I picked it up (it still had fuel in it from his last ever flying session) and while I managed to keep it moderately together that season, it was obviously in need of a lot of restoration work. Unfortunately, I found out (after several months of effort) that the fuselage was a goner - just too oil-soaked and beat up to salvage. The wings and tailfeathers were donated to GCRCC for their Spina Bifeda benefit auction, and Saturday evening I gave the fuselage a proper viking funeral in the traditional ODP bonfire.

The traditional ODP bonfire, bye the bye, was WAY too hot to get very close on a very warm summer evening!

Old 08-01-2015, 12:25 PM
WinterHawke

One more flying session, and it was time to wrap up ODP 2015 - the Sunday morning Dawn Patrol

It was a very good show again, as usual, with a LOT of good friends and flying to be found.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

I've shot a bunch of videos I'm finishing up now (when I'm not at work, or driving hundreds of miles like the last couple weeks), but I do have the first one up for review - Ken Alcorn's quadcopter flight during a break in the flying for a plane line-up and picture-taking session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9tX36si-lg Gotta say I'm impressed with them new-fangled flying thingies - very stable and very good picture quality!!

I'll have a few more videos to upload over the next few days, both ground video as well as some GoPro action as both Tony Gronas and Paul Wiley allowed me to attach my GoPro to their 1/3 Sopwith Pups (as mine never did get in the air during the event).The ground videos will hopefully explain at least one of these last couple of pictures:

Best regards, all,

Lee McDuffee
ye olde and tired WinterHawke
Old 08-01-2015, 01:03 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great pictures and videos. Thanks, maybe I can make the trip.

Fair winds and Happy Flying
Rich
Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Lucky Dog

Great photos and (as usual) outstanding narrative. Thanks Lee.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:39 AM
wildbills21

Lee,
I have the take off and landing of John's GTM D - VI. I will try to post them.
Wild Bill
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Lee! I especially like the video!

Jim
Old 08-05-2015, 04:49 AM
WinterHawke

THIS was a fun moment at ODP 2015.

The Ballet of the Nieuport 11, featuring Keith Zimmerly!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jdjzE4zk38 Enjoy!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am glad others have some issues landing there N11's.. I have way more challenges with my 1/4 N11 than my Pup or D7... that is to be sure !

From the pic I thought he had trouble.. from the video I think he was just showing off skill and a great flying plane

Last edited by foodstick; 08-05-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.