Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale Foam PNP Planes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Foam PNP Planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im glad Goldberg quit making target drones long enough to make my Pitts. Too bad the parts are not available for it anymore. Carl Goldberg made pretty nice stuff.
My old CG Pitts is a wonderful plane, I hope I can keep it in one piece forever. I should have retired it long ago, but I still love flying the old bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts Model 12 at the field.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	2110030  
Old 07-20-2015, 05:56 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people who fly foam planes are lazy
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [email protected]
That's probably true. But then what's wrong with being lazy?

My own perspective on foamies and ARF is this: I only have a limited amount of money to spend on my scale RC modeling. Every dime I spend on an ARF is a dime I can't spend on a serious scale model. I certainly don't have the bucks to build and own a fleet of 1/3 scale models and a trailer to haul them in...or the budget to drive all over the country to attend scale fly-ins.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by freeonthree
I'll wait for cooler temps before the test flight though. Come on winter !
Afraid your foamie will melt?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 AM
acerc

LOL Abu, I subscribe to "Do what ever you want, however you want" and don't worry about how other's do it.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I flew nitro for many years, and also had a few larger gas planes, but got tired of paying for and wiping nitro fuel off my planes, and my back couldn't take moving the larger gas planes in and out of the house anymore, so now im all electric, and 5 out of 8 of my planes are scale, foam, PNP's. 2 are little BNF's and one is an old Carl Goldberg Pitts electric. My latest purchase was an FMS PT-17 Stearman that I have about 1/2 way to test flight time.
I have the larger Icon A5 that I've only flown off land so far, a Durafly Monocoupe, a Skyartec Cessna 182 with flaps, a Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub, the balsa Carl Goldberg Pitts, and now the FMS PT-17 Stearman. Im lovin the scale foam PNP's. They look amazing and they fly great.

I'd like to hear from some other Scale, foam, PNP flyers, and see what you have to say about these little scale wonders. Dennis
To me it doesn't matter what you are flying, as long as you have fun. I have both balsa and foamies, all electric though. I'm partial to the foamies for convenience sake. For the most part I can get to the field, unload the planes, do my range/safety checks, and be in the air flying within 10 minutes. Meanwhile, next to me is the guy strapping on the wings, tinkering with the engine, and sometimes spending an hour trying to get his gas or nitro motor to work. Or, his receiver pack is dead, so no flying today! Meanwhile, I'm on my 5th pack. And if he flies, then it's the clean up and break down.

One of these showed up at our electric event this weekend, with two cockpits too. One open with extremely good detail. 6 channel very good detail foamy for around $200.00. It was parked next to the giant B-17 foamy. Got lots of compliments. These are getting bigger (some well over 100 inches in wingspan) with excellent detail.

Again...to each their own. Whatever you fly that makes you happy, have at it. Nobody should look down at someone else for what they fly, and certainly not call them lazy. No place for that in the hobby.

Name:	sbc dauntless.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	2110212  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:15 AM
freeonthree

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Well, at 62 I am getting lazy, but im also working more than I ever have, so I have very little time for tinkering. I just want to fly.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
freeonthree

Yep, I don't want any harm to come to my flying ice chests. Actually, I don't take the heat like I did when I was a young man of 45
Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 AM
freeonthree

Originally Posted by porcia83
To me it doesn't matter what you are flying, as long as you have fun. I have both balsa and foamies, all electric though. I'm partial to the foamies for convenience sake. For the most part I can get to the field, unload the planes, do my range/safety checks, and be in the air flying within 10 minutes. Meanwhile, next to me is the guy strapping on the wings, tinkering with the engine, and sometimes spending an hour trying to get his gas or nitro motor to work. Or, his receiver pack is dead, so no flying today! Meanwhile, I'm on my 5th pack. And if he flies, then it's the clean up and break down.

One of these showed up at our electric event this weekend, with two cockpits too. One open with extremely good detail. 6 channel very good detail foamy for around $200.00. It was parked next to the giant B-17 foamy. Got lots of compliments. These are getting bigger (some well over 100 inches in wingspan) with excellent detail.

Again...to each their own. Whatever you fly that makes you happy, have at it. Nobody should look down at someone else for what they fly, and certainly not call them lazy. No place for that in the hobby.

I've gone out and flown 8 or 10 packs out, and left before some of the guys even had an engine running, and they were there when I drove in.
Don't get me wrong, I love giant scale gasser bipes, but I cannot lug them around anymore, and the electrics are more dependable.
Im also sticking to 3S planes and smaller because the batterys are almost free. The flying feels the same to me, large or small.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 PM
freeonthree

It got up to 105 degree's today, so I didn't take the new little PT-17 Stearman out for the test flights. There are no trees at our flying site, just a huge lot of hot pavement.
I think I have my next two plane purchases figured out, and that will fill my DX6I to the limit of 10 memories.
I definently want the Island Wings Beaver from Hobbyzone for $199,98 and free shipping. It has flaps, and it also comes with floats. There's a gal in Alaska who own's Island Wings Tours and Transport, and it's a scale model of her plane. They have a lot of power and off from water with ease. They are really sharp lookin too.
I also want a Yellow Waco that Diamond Hobby in Florida sells for $159.99 and free shipping. I just like the way it looks I guess, so I want it also, than im done for a while
Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 AM
abufletcher

10 x $200 = $1,000 in foamies.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

It got up to 105 degree's today, so I didn't take the new little PT-17 Stearman out for the test flights. There are no trees at our flying site, just a huge lot of hot pavement.
I think I have my next two plane purchases figured out, and that will fill my DX6I to the limit of 10 memories.
I definently want the Island Wings Beaver from Hobbyzone for $199,98 and free shipping. It has flaps, and it also comes with floats. There's a gal in Alaska who own's Island Wings Tours and Transport, and it's a scale model of her plane. They have a lot of power and off from water with ease. They are really sharp lookin too.
I also want a Yellow Waco that Diamond Hobby in Florida sells for $159.99 and free shipping. I just like the way it looks I guess, so I want it also, than im done for a while
Ah yes...I thought I was done when the DX6i reached it's max of 10....then I bought a second one....then I sold both and got the 8. You're on you're way. Ha!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by abufletcher
10 x $200 = $1,000 in foamies.
Who said that in this thread?

Actually it's easy to get to $1,000...with just these two:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/carbon-z...ology-efl10450

http://www.horizonhobby.com/carbon-z-t-28-pnp-efl1375

Nice birds!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 AM
freeonthree

This is my reply to the last 3 posts:
I will only pay $200.00 for a real nice scale plane. My Durafly Monocoupe for example was only $140.00, and my Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub was only $139.99.
I will not pay more than $200.00 for a foam plane, no way !
I bought my 1/5th scale Great Planes Curtiss P6E Hawk with a Zenoah G-20 for $600.00 barely used, and recently sold it after flying it maybe only 15 or 20 times. I sold it to a friend for $600.00 because I started having trouble carrying it in and out of the house. The last time I took it out I had to leave it on the truck until the next day, when I put it in the plane room, and it stayed there until I sold it. My back is a lot happier now, and I can carry two planes to the truck at a time now, with ease (one in each hand).
I already have the 10 model problem figured out, because 2 of my planes are BNF's that were given to me, to get me back into the hobby. I have an Eflite Beast (before AS3X), and a Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26M. I can delete those memories, and have room for two more planes I don't need more than 10 planes, so I won't be buying any more transmitters.
Im not going to get get carried away like I did the last time with this crazy hobby.
Im really lovin the little electric planes. No more glow plugs, electric starters, nitro and gasoline spots on the hardwood floor in here, not to mention the smell that the gals always seemed to notice (not me), and these planes are almost maintainance free. It's not as maucho this way, but it sure is a lot less hassel.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your right but RS folded and Goldberg assumed the contract.QUOTE=badgerord;12072525]Actually the Foam Mig's were invented by a company called RS Systems, Goldberg was a secondary contractor on the Mig's[/QUOTE]
Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 AM
freeonthree

I'd love to have one of those target drones hangin in here. I've heard of them washing up on the beach occasionally. That would be a great find !
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 AM
freeonthree

If a person was to be lucky enough to find one washed up on a beach, I wonder if it would be legal to take it home and keep it. Hmmm...
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
freeonthree

Here's a pic of one that washed up on a beach in Alabama. Finders keepers ?

Name:	Target Drone.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	2110401  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM
freeonthree

Here's another one...

Name:	Target Drone 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	2110402  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by porcia83
Who said that in this thread?
The OP had listed a number of foamies in the $140-200 range and that he had maxed out the 10 plane memories on his Tx. So 10 x 200 = $1,000.

Personally, I don't see why anyone needs (or wants) so many models. It's like a sickness. Like the guys who keep buying kits that they are never going to build. I don't believe I've ever had more than 3 models in a flyable condition at any one time. I try to keep an ARF on hand, but don't go above $200. I just look for the cheapest current offering. Actually, I did make one exception to this. I bought a $500 ARF with a 3m wingspan to use as a testbed for my Seidel/UMS radial. (And yes it's been a challenge working with that, but that's part of the fun for me.)

The only foamies that make any financial sense to me are the ones that come with everything includes except for battery and Rx. If I have to add $100+ in servos, ESC etc. to a $200 foam model, it's already way over my limit. I like (but don't love) my friends FMS Bf-109. But all together he probably has at least $350 invested in it.

I don't mind spending $1000 (or even more) building a precision scale model since it's usually spread over several years.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:26 AM
freeonthree

I guess were all different. I need 8 to 10 planes to keep me entertained because after flying one of them 5 o6 6 times, I want to fly something different. I also need one or two for water since we have the Sacramento River going right thru town, and we have, or at least use to have float flys here every year. They cancelled the boat drags here, so I don't know if the float flys will continue or not, but on the multipal plane deal, I try to go flying every night when the temperature is nice, and flying the same 2 or 3 planes all the time gets really boring for me. If I get too bored I take the Pitts out for an evening, and that cures me. I can fly and land my other planes in my sleep, so it can get boring at times.
Also, my planes rarely have problems, and usually last for many years before their wore out enough to retire.
I just replaced one plane that had well over 200 flights on it. Just bought a new one for $139.99 and free shipping.
I buy the PNP's so all I need to add to them is a receiver. Orange R615X receivers are only about $12.00, so I keep those on hand for new planes. I have never had one fail yet.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 Planes total. (3) foam PNP, (1) foam ARF (E-Flite P-38), (3) small balsa electric ARFS, (1) RES 2M glider ARF, (7) .60 2-stroke -1.50 4-stroke glow powered ARFs, (2) second hand glow powered kits (pre-built) and (3) glow powered balsa kits I've built myself...all ready to fly. Under the bench are (1) small electric ARF crashed with replacement parts ready, (1) second hand scratch built balsa glow mostly framed up.
I worked in a hobby shop for while on weekends and got store credit which got me most of the electric stuff. The second hand stuff was from other club members. Some of the ARFs were planes I really wanted. All of the kit builds were fun and time consuming but rewarding winter projects (long winters). I enjoy them all and fly them at different club events on water or grass or scale or warbird or electric.

My newest foam PNP is the Flyzone Island Wings DH Beaver currently on floats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wgr...ature=youtu.be

My other float foam PNP is the Flyzone Tidewater (not scale but close). The third foam PNP is the E-Flite Hurrincane PNP. The E-flite foam P-38 was very expensive as it required two motors and two speed controls plus five servos and receiver. People do enjoy watching it fly though.

The hard part is figuring out how to get different combinations loaded into my car (RAV4) with a long roof carrier for wings.

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; 07-21-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:45 PM
freeonthree

How do you like the Island Wings Beaver. Im thinkin bout buying one from Diamond Hobby in Florida for $199.00 and free shipping.
Sounds like you need to borrow my flatbed mobile flight deck
Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM
freeonthree

I just watched your video, wow ! That looks like fun ! Sorry I wasn't there with you flying my Icon A5 with you guys. That was very cool...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 PM
freeonthree

I have run into a slight issue that I have never ecperienced before. The esc manual that came with the FMS Stearman says it has an automatic motor shutoff if tx signal is lost, so I removed the prop, turned on the tx, then power up the plane, and everything works fine, but if I simulate lost signal by turning off the tx, the throttle goes to what appears to be full.
I did some forum reading on the subject, and some say to rebind the receiver, making sure the throttle and throttle trim are both all the way down.
When I bound it, thats how it was, throttle and throttle trim fully down. I'll try rebinding it tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone out there had ever experienced the same issue before. In another forum, a guy said to install the bind plug, power up the plane, then remove the bind plug, and then turn on the tx in bind mode, and then remove power from the plane, and that supposedly presets all the controls to whatever their at if signal is lost, IE throttle off and all surfaces neutral. Any thoughts guy ? Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.