Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale Foam PNP Planes

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Foam PNP Planes

Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another issue. I tried to edit the above post to fix the spelling errors, but the save button only blinked, it didn't save the edited post. I had that same issue the other day when I tried to correct or add something.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freeonthree
How do you like the Island Wings Beaver. Im thinkin bout buying one from Diamond Hobby in Florida for $199.00 and free shipping.
Sounds like you need to borrow my flatbed mobile flight deck
The guys in my club say that the original version (black and orange/white) is better quality construction. This was the first one I had bought and put together and found it rather difficult to get the wings mounted and especially the flap mechanism to work. The wing panels seem to be made in two halves sandwiched together and the leading seam on mine was not well done. Other club members who have bought the Island Wings version have had warped or twisted wing panels that they had to replace. The water rudders on the included floats (this is a fantastic float plane) have been modified by most people because they are so large and hang down below the float its easy to catch one taking off or landing and flip the plane over. Lot's of good info here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2236639. Overall I'm satified but the quality is different than the original. I bought this one in particular because I saw the full size plane in Alaska last June during an inland waterway tour.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2110559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2712.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2110560  
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flimsy Foam Control Surfaces

I have the original black and orange/white version of the Beaver. This was my first foamie purchase. I don't remove the wings, it takes 15 minutes to do so. The wings are solid but the control surfaces are too thin in my opinion as they will easily bend. My rudder had a defect when I pulled it out of the box. The hinge line was too thin and the rudder was pulling away from the vertical stabilizer. I cut away the foam hinge (pressed) and installed hinges. I did receive a replacement within a week.

The ailerons are the biggest problem for me. The plane has never had a hard landing or hangar rash, yet the ailerons have some warped deflection. Before I fly, I bend the ailerons straight. Within a day or two, they start to deflect again.

If the control surfaces were thicker, I'd be much happier with the purchase. I considered adding carbon fiber to the surfaces, but haven't had the opportunity yet. The motor produces PLENTY of power.

Clear Skies.

-PD
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Jaybird

Mine too. They look great but are much too thin (too "scale) to stand up to much abuse. Mine stays together too as I think it would be nearly impossible to unhook everything including the aileron servo wires and the clips and flap pushrods in a timely fashion. My hands barely fit down the top or bottom hatches.

Jaybird
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 AM
franklin_m

Have three and just bought my fourth. Already have the ME-163 (4S version) from HobbyKing, the GreatPlanes mini F-86, and the UMX T-28 from Horizon. Just bought my fourth, the Hobby People U2.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM
freeonthree

it sounds like even with the little problems your happy with the planes. I'll get one of those next.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 AM
freeonthree

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Have three and just bought my fourth. Already have the ME-163 (4S version) from HobbyKing, the GreatPlanes mini F-86, and the UMX T-28 from Horizon. Just bought my fourth, the Hobby People U2.
No biplane ? No Piper Cub ? How do you sleep at night ?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Jaybird

Oops! I mispoke.. my total is 21...that being the Parkzone Se5a. Great flying airplane and well designed. I changed the wheels to William Brothers just because I liked the looks. Its a challenge to keep on it's wheels taking off and landing on tall grass. Great fun to fly though.

Jaybird
Old 07-22-2015, 01:17 PM
freeonthree

All those old close wheel bipes are tricky to keep rightside up when landing, unless it's into a good wind, and that's the only reason I don't have any of them.
I got the failsafe problem solved. Im slowly converting my brain from the old 72 Mhz ways, and im learning more every day.
I rebound the Stearman and 2 of my other planes with the same issue, only this time I removed the bind plug before removing the power from the plane, and now all my planes shut their motors down when the tx signal is lost. Wow ! it only took me 3 years to finally read about the fail safe mode. Im one of those people who hate reading unfortunately.
I think it's time now for me to learn more about esc programming. I've always managed to turn the brakes off when their on, but that's about it. Back to RC school for me I guess.
Making the move from nitro, gas, and 72 Mhz is a lot more involved than I ever thought it would be, but im getting there. I hope everyone is having a great day. Dennis
Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
freeonthree

Jaybird, Just noticed you said "tall grass". I've never flown off grass, only pavement, dirt roads, and a few times off water.
Those close wheel bipes are hard to keep upright even on pavement. I can't even imagine landing one on grass, even short grass, without it flipping over.
They do fly awfully good though, I gotta agree with you on that. 2 or 3 of those old bipes in the air together really looks cool too.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Jaybird

I've flown a couple of times at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome R/C Jamboree in September with my glow powered models (D-VII, E III and Fleet M2) and the electric Se5a. Great fun.

Jaybird
Old 07-23-2015, 05:21 PM
freeonthree

I've watched a lot of the Rhinbeck Aerodrome full scale video's. They make me want to buy the models of most of them, but there's just too many.
I learned some new things recently about plane cosmetics. Water based house paint can be color matched at places like Lowes and Home Depot, and works great on the foam planes. Also, Walmart has some stuff called Polycrylic that is good for spraying the whole plane (foam parts) to protect the finish from fading, and it also hardenes the surface and makes it more resistant to scratch and ding, It can also be bought in a brush on, and used for sealing the edges of decals like stripes and things to the foam when they want to lift, like a few of mine are trying to do. Maybe that's common knowledge, but I didn't know it, so thought I would share, just in case. Dennis
Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 PM
freeonthree

I took the FMS PT-17 Stearman out for the test flights, and it flew great. it handled the 6 to 10 mph wind with ease. It looks great in the air, and handles like a dream.
I can honestly say it was one of the best $200.00 I ever spent. it flys as good as it looks.
I somehow managed to forget to take the video recording sunglasses, so I wasn't able to make a video tonight, oops ! Dennis
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM
freeonthree

I've got about 20 flights on the FMS PT-17 Stearman so far, and it is a wonderful plane. It flys great and after a 6 minute flight, a 3S 2200mah 20C battery is barely warm, and only down to about 11.7 volts. Today the wind was blowing about 8 to 10 mph, but the little Stearman handled it beautifully. The rudder increase I gave it made a huge difference on the ground, but we forgot to see if it would hold a knife edge today. I have a feeling it will now..
I forgot to mention that inverted flight takes just a smidge of down elevator.
If your looking for a beautiful scale electric biplane, The FMS Stearman would be an excellent choice in my opinion. Dennis
Old 07-25-2015, 12:32 AM
abufletcher

BTW, how have you found the CoG on these PNP models? I must admit that the Stearman appeals to me. But NOPE. No free shipping to Japan (from Hong Kong). It would cost an additional $123 to have it shipped here.

Last edited by abufletcher; 07-25-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:00 AM
freeonthree

Im in northern California, and I bought FMS Stearman from Diamond Hobby in Florida.
I have not had to add any weight to any of my PNP planes. They all CG'ed perfectly.
3S 2200mah 20C batts are about 10 bucks from Hobby King. If you plan on flying the Stearman hard, then I suggest you use 25C, but for basic flying around, a 20C barely gets warm. The more I fly it, the more I like it. The scale detail is amazing for a $200.00 dollar plane, and it flys like it cost $400.00. Dennis
Old 07-25-2015, 01:34 AM
freeonthree

Im looking at the FMS / Rochobby Waco now, and it's only $159,99 and free shipping. and the scale detail of it is as amazing as the Stearman PT-17.
I wanted a red and white one in the beginning, but im really drawn to the yellow with black trim now.
I've watched several You Tube video's of the Waco's, and they fly as good as the Stearman PT-17's.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 PM
freeonthree

I decided to install the flying wires on the Stearman. it took about 3 hours, but it was worth it. It looks really scale now.
I didn't like the rubber string they give you with the plane, so I used some black regular string. Lots easier to tie, and it stays tied, unlike the rubber stuff.
I wanted to fly it with the wires, but it was real windy here this evening. NOAA said gusts to 18 mph, so I stayed home.
This is how it looks now... This is a pic from the Diamond Hobby ad, but mine looks exactly the same now, except mine has Great Plane wing tip skids on it.

Name:	FMS PT-17 Stearman.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2111339  

Last edited by freeonthree; 07-27-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 AM
freeonthree

I ordered the FMS Waco early this morning, another great looking scale biplane. It has the same power system as the FMS PT-17 Stearman.

Name:	RocHobby_Waco_1__46863_1371531978_1020_1020.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	2111496   Click image for larger version

Name:	RocHobby_Waco__14921_1371531040_1020_1020.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	2111497  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:32 PM
abufletcher

You should post a photo of your entire FLEET!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
freeonthree

Most of them are in my hanger gallery, including 2 of my past gassers. I only have 8 now, and 2 of them are BNF's. The Waco will be here on Monday, so i'll be adding that soon. My bud who taught me to fly in 2002 has around 25 planes, and 7 or 8 of them are large scale gassers. Im gunna try to keep it to 12, counting the 2 little BNF's.
I think 10 nice scale planes is about right for me, and nothing larger than a 48" ws Cub.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM
freeonthree

One of these days I will put them all in the yard and do a group photo, but it's way too hot to do that now. It got up to 107 here today.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 PM
freeonthree

I almost lost the Stearman earlier tonight. The rudder potentiometer in my DX6i acted up and was swingin my rudder all over the place, or intermittently slammin it to one side.
It was quite a fight using the ailerons, but I managed to get it down safely, whew...
Came home and sprayed all the pots with "Deox it", and now it's fine again. A couple of months ago the throttle pot acted up, and I had no throttle. Sprayed it and all was fine.
Im beginning to wonder if the foam in the "Plano" four pistol case I use is gassing out causing all these problems.
After the emergency semi crash landing (zero damage), I tested the controls and the rudder was freaking out, but everything else was ok.
This time, I thought maybe the rudder servo was at fault, but nope, it turned out to be the DX6i again. Good thing I drank a lot of coffee before I went flying. hahahaha !
Old 08-06-2015, 08:40 PM
freeonthree

The DX6i is working great since I sprayed the pots with Deoxit, and I have the Waco mostly together, but they didn't give me any screws for the wing struts (had to find some), and the aileron horns to servo arms control rods are way too long. The NAV light covers will need to be trimmed before they will fit the indentations of the wing also.
Their sending me the proper control rods, so while im waiting for those I can install the flying wires, and trim the light cover to fit properly and glue those on.
If it flys as nice as the Stearman, im gunna love this Waco, even with all the extra hassel im having to go thru to get it together. Oh well, it was only $159.99 and free shipping.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 PM
freeonthree

Originally Posted by abufletcher
You should post a photo of your entire FLEET!
As soon as the flying wires are on the Waco, I will take a fleet photo and post it. Dennis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.