Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Aerodyne Beechcraft B200 Super King Air Composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Aerodyne Beechcraft B200 Super King Air Composite

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 PM
gugie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerodyne Beechcraft B200 Super King Air Composite

Gang starting a build of the 88" wingspan RC Aerodyne's B200 Super King Air.

The one I'm building is a pre-production kit.

Cliff is in the process of changing manufactures as the quality of these initial kits just wasn't up to his expectations.
He's made the decision as to who will be making the kits and all I can say is that if the quality of their other kits is any indication of what to expect we'll all be pleasantly amazed!

Never-the-less this pre-production version is still a beautiful kit and I'm excited to get this put together.

These pre-production kits don't have any instructions so will be document as I go.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments on this build I welcome their comments/suggestions!

Here's what the kit comes in (2 boxes)

Here's the packed fuselage box

With the rudder taken out

The packed wing and tail surfaces

Here's some of the parts unpacked (Some I left wrapped to keep parts together.
Here's the interior linings

Parts bag (Engine mounting frames, motor mounts and hardware

Center wing panel

Bottom of center wing panel

Seats

Horizontal stab

One of the props and it's spinner

Fuselage

Fuselage with rudder taped to it (12" ruler placed along side for size) this thing is BIG...

Here's one of the nacelles placed along side of the fuselage

Here's the landing gear package

Here's the nose gear. (This will make you drool)

Here's the main gear with air brakes!!!!

One of the earlier kits taped together
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM
ALPHA-AIR

Very nice plane !
I've ordered the B200 today ..
Have some expierences on Twins , and this is my Baron from Aerodyne :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2122854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2122855   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1024_IMG_2018.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2122906  

Last edited by ALPHA-AIR; 09-29-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM
gugie

Alpha-air Welcome to the King Air club.
Looking forward to working alongside of you.
Since there are no instructions hoping we can double check each others work
Old 10-25-2015, 01:01 PM
jvance
My Feedback: (1)

Glad someone has started a build thread on the King Air. I was in Seattle in May and shipped this King Air model home to Anchorage, Alaska. I have also bought RC Aerodyne's Baron G58 and am about one third finished with that build. The Baron goes together very nicely, just take one step at a time. I've been very pleased with that model. I puposefully started the Baron first (just this last week) so that I would be primed and ready to take on the King Air without any type of instruction guide.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:16 PM
gugie

Gang,
Getting started with the landing gear boxes that sit inside a bay in the center wing panel.
This may take me a little longer than usual as there are no instructions yet and one of the reasons I'm doing this build.
Here's the bay that the landing gear mounting boxes sit inside:

My suggestion is to tape all of these pieces together first then mark each corresponding side with matching number/letter before doing any gluing
Here's the 4 pieces that make up the box sides:

Here's the top 2 pieces that the retract is bolted to:

Here's the 4 side pieces laid side to side in the order that they are assemblied:

Here's the box sides taped together. (Note all the notches are facing up)

Here's what it looks like with all 5 pieces taped together:

Here's how the box sits inside the wing gear bay: (Note the notch in the box faces forward as the main gears retract forward into the nacelles)

Because of the wing dihedral the top of the boxes are going to look slanted (Note the slant of the top of the retract mount in relation to the wing panel. While it looks like it’s at too much of an angle it really isn’t)
Here’s how the retract mounting box, retract and strut look inside the wing: (Again everything is just placed/taped and no gluing has been done yet)

Here’s the first problem I encountered:
The strut support arms are hitting the front and rear plywood wing tube spar supports.

The solution is to notch the plywood allowing the strut to fully retract.
Here’s the before:

Here’s the after:
Here’s how the strut sits now:
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM
gugie

RC Aerodyne is selling at a super deal what they have on stock of their pre-production kits.
http://www.scaleflying.com/Pre-Produ...k-_p_4295.html

This isn't your bolt together kit but is a good deal if you want to get into a nice size King Air
There are no instructions and some of the hardware (Bolts/screws) may have to be purchased but so far my kit is going together with no problems.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:20 PM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

I received my King Air Monday. Just started the build. I pre-fit the nacelle to the center wing I had to trim the opening for them to fit. The allen screws that came with the kit were to short so a trip to Home Depot and picked up the next size longer. I have noticed the servo hatch covers are small so it looks like micro servos will have to be used. any one else have any thoughts on this. My kit was missing the retracts a call to Aerodyne and they are on there way. Glade to see more kits being built.
JD
Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything new going on here???
Doc
Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 AM
gugie

Doc, I was having a lot of problems with posting on this group so moved over to RCGroups.com.
I'll try posting to this site again tonight and see if I can figure out why I'm having problems.
There's 5 of us building RCA's King Air and some of us are further along than others but none of us are flying it yet.
Some of us are glassing the wing for extra strength while others are trying to save weight. Pretty much all of us have beefed up the main gear retract supports as that is one weak point.
Let me know if you have any questions.
It's a really nice looking plane and has some good detailing.
The price is great for what you get but do know you will have to put some work into it.
I know Cliff put together one pretty fast and with minimal work but he's a pretty good pilot so unlike me who can bounce a good landing felt i needed to make a lot of modifications.
3 of us have ordered a scale cockpit and the plane already has a detailed interior so it is a awesome plane.
Did you buy one or thinking of buying?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:02 AM
jvance

I appreciate the response, I'll admit, I've bought the plane but was waiting you brave souls to go forward first! Could you provide a link to the Rcgroups thread as well as the scale cockpit? Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 AM
gugie

jvance here's the link to the king Air group: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507707
I'll also see about getting this site updated also.
Here's the link to the scale cockpit: http://www.flying-season.com/
You can also contact faye at: [email protected]
I also posted some pictures and prices for the cockpit on Jan 16, 2016, 08:47 PM (In the King Air link above)
Again if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
Welcome to the king Air club!!!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM
jvance

A really big thanks Gugie, I've gone to that thread as well as the Jan 16, 2016 thread. Thanks for taking the time to post a response.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:33 PM
gugie

jvance so where are you with your King Air?
Do you have all of your electronics?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM
jvance

I do have everything; I shipped the model up last summer but have not started--I'm one of those guys that buys two for every one that gets built. I'm finishing up the Baron and expect to maiden it this summer. I probably won't start the King Air until next winter's build season (which lasts long in Alaska). In the mean-time spring is almost here and that means 20 hours of daylight for spring summer flying!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:43 PM
autotecart

Does anyone know when the actual production ARF version of this is ready to purchase as i too have been waiting a age for this to arrive. I looked into the pre production kit but thought i would wait until the ARF version was available. Aerodyne very cagey on when this is to be released as a full arf and i have been waiting a long time for its arrival
Old 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM
gugie

Autotecart that's a loaded question.
When Cliff started his venture with one of his manufactures on the first King Air, the thought was he would have production kits in less than a year and you know how that turned out. (3 years later and you know where we're at with that one. The reason he's changed to a different manufacture)

Any comments I make are strictly mine and I'm not speaking for RC Aerodyne so no one come back and say that there was any commitment to having kits out in this timeframe.

So last I heard I "think" his new builder had completed the master molds so hearing this I "think" we could see something by spring or early summer. (Again strictly my thoughts)
Many things could happen and I have no insight as to the builders priority on this kit so the above is just a stab in the dark.
If I hear of any updates I'll keep you guys informed.