Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally got a Sig Citabria

Well I have been wanting one of these for a while now. As it happens, one of my customers is an older gentlemen who spent years in the hobby. He built a Citabria, but by the time he finished it, was not really flying anymore. The Citabria never flew. Now he's having some health issues and wants to sell some planes...made me a very reasonable deal on the complete model with engine & radio gear. It's got some hangar rash, but I seem to have a weakness for fixer'uppers. Will probably patch it up for now, go through it and prep it for flight, get some time on it this summer, then do a recover/restoration on it next winter (wouldn't mind a sportier trim scheme). I'm itching to fly it, I've read a lot of good things about this model's flight characteristics.

General aviation scale is really my main interest in RC, but up until now I've had very few scale models (finances, circumstances, space, etc). I am particularly fond of the Citabria/Decathlon planes, as I have about 10 very happy hours in a Super Decathlon back when I was in flight school. I can't wait to get this little beauty in the air!

Any comments/suggestions from current or former Sig Citabria owners are welcome. In particular, I'm curious as to how the firewall box is supposed to look (this one seems rather open), and also how folks are doing the cowling. I had to remove the muffler, needle valve, and needle valve keeper to get this cowl off, and it was still a chore! It may be a bit rough yet, but I love it...this is exactly the sort of GA scale model I would drool over and dream about when I was just a kid.

Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160111_011551.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	2140867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	2140868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_fr.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	2140869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_table1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	2140870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_table2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	2140871
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	2140863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_fr.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	2140864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_table1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	2140865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cit_table2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	2140866  
    Last edited by dabigboy; 01-11-2016 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Downsized pics....they were huge.
    Crashes are OPTIONAL. Fun is mandatory.

Nice plane, and a great acquisition. I've never had the Citabria but I agree, that box is rather open. I'm "old school", none of my planes have openings where oil can get inside like that. However, your plane has a 4-cycle engine and my experience has also said they don't throw oil like the 2-cycles do, so you may be OK there. Still, if it was mine I'd be closing in those sides.

Cowl removal: yeah, a bit of a chore but you don't really remove them all that often (normally). I think if she was mine I'd probably just live with it, rather than messing up a rather nice front end with large slots/holes.

One thing for sure - you're going to enjoy flying her.
    Dave W. TSgt, USAF/SS-ESC (Retired, 1968-1990)
    AMA #94881, Vintage R/C Society #208
    " Old-school" C/L (1955) & R/C (1973) Sport Flier

SIG Kadet B'hood #69 , SIG B'hood #109 , Glowhead B'hood #51 ,
    Cub
    B'hood #198
    , Golden Era Aircraft B'hood #16 ,

Flying field coords: 38.650863,-78.44985

SIG Mfg Co. Model Aircraft Kits History

Website showing, in detail, every plane ever kitted by SIG Mfg Co.