Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Where to get good supply of screws, nuts, washers etc.

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Where to get good supply of screws, nuts, washers etc.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:24 AM
jimpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get good supply of screws, nuts, washers etc.

Two main sources:

http://rtlfasteners.com/ for great prices on large assortment kits

http://towerhobbies.com/ great for specific manufacturer parts
Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missed One!

https://www.microfasteners.com/
Old 02-15-2016, 02:51 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up a couple of those Metric 'sets' thinking I might NEVER EVER need some of those nuts, bolts, etc......oh how wrong I was, especially if you are assembling an ARF as that is all they use!!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I but 95% of my hardware, here. http://www.acehardware.com/home/inde...991&025=c&026=

They have what I need, It's in stock, and I can get it without delay.

Besides, the clerks get a kick out of my modeling projects, so they are more than willing to assist me with my "weird" projects.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with RTL and Micro is they only want to sell you a 50 or 100 of something. I also use the local ACE when I need just a few pieces of a certain size. To bad J&S is gone he would sell you bags of 6- 8 for .50 a bag.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides, the clerks get a kick out of my modeling projects, so they are more than willing to assist me with my "weird" projects. [/QUOTE]

So do we
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by raptureboy
The problem with RTL and Micro is they only want to sell you a 50 or 100 of something. I also use the local ACE when I need just a few pieces of a certain size. To bad J&S is gone he would sell you bags of 6- 8 for .50 a bag.
Don't see that as a problem. A good a stock of hardware on hand when I need it beats having to run to the hardware store in the middle of a build.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid
Besides, the clerks get a kick out of my modeling projects, so they are more than willing to assist me with my "weird" projects.
So do we [/QUOTE]

LOL
Old 02-17-2016, 04:50 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoury
Don't see that as a problem. A good a stock of hardware on hand when I need it beats having to run to the hardware store in the middle of a build.
Well, there's in stock and then there's overstocked. When was the last time you used a 100 3/8"x #2 cap head screw? I work in logistics and having way to much of anything is a waste of capital. I am fortunate to have a local fastener supply house near by and can get any type and quantity of screw I need to stay in stock. Buying one of those combo kits is a pretty good deal to get started with so you have the most common ones on hand.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

www.mcmaster.com

www.boltdepot.com
Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found, if you crash enough, and strip all the hardware from the wrecked airframes, you always have hardware.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

When buying in large quantities and for a variety of products the hobby suppliers don't have, it is difficult to beat McMaster Carr as BarracudaHockey suggested. Nobody ships quicker and prices are reasonable .... especially considering the quality of the products.

If you can imagine it, they probably have it! And that goes far past just nuts and bolts.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just looked through McMaster, selection seems good but prices are a bit high 10 pieces 00-80 bolt cost more than a package of 50 of the same bolt from Micro Fasteners. Bolt depot doesn't seem to have much of a selection below 4-40. I have found for best selection and price Micro Fasteners beats the others for my hobby needs hands down. I live in Canada and shipping to my mailbox in Detroit takes a few days. Even better is the hefty discounts for quantity orders which I put together for several club members. I can never have enough stock as many times I have been able to help out others when they get stuck.

Dennis
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Propworn

Never enough hardware. Small and odd hardware both steel and stainless from Micro Fastners larger stuff from local suppliers. I have never attended an event and been snookered because I didn't have the appropriate fastener. I also have a poverty pack for each plane built where extra common fittings and fasteners are handy. These come with the model when it goes to the field.

The pictures of the two blue tackle containers from Bass Pro are full of steel alloy fasteners on the left is standard and the other side is metric.

The yellow and dark blue boxes are stainless from 00-80 to 1/4 with some metric.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fast1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2148505   Click image for larger version

Name:	fast2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2148506   Click image for larger version

Name:	fast3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2148507   Click image for larger version

Name:	fast4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2148508  

Last edited by Propworn; 02-20-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hobby hardware places have their place, but I buy all my hardware from McMaster unless I'm desperate and have to go to the local True Value. I really really hate going there, as for the cost of 6 screws, I could get a box of 50~100 from McMaster. I also get my McMaster order the next day - every time. You'll also find that you get better quality hardware from them, most of the SHCS I've bought over the years have been Unbrako brand - made in the USA. I seriously doubt the RTL or Microfasteners goods are.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Propworn

Why is it that it always comes down to someone convinced the way they say to do something becomes the only acceptable way of doing things and everything else is inferior. It happens with everything from lubricants to radio systems and now fastener suppliers. How droll as if there is only one supplier that provides suitable fasteners when the truth of the mater is many of the providers of quality fasteners are getting them from the same source.

Find out where your local machine shop or automotive machine shop purchases their fasteners. Both places use quality fasteners their work depends on it. Most likely this local supplier will be able to provide you with what you need down to 4-40 sizes and if your lucky even 2-56. The ones I deal with will sell you what ever quantity you want from one to what ever.

For the remaining specialty fasteners pick a source that has a lot in stock chances are because they provide good quality at a decent price they move a fair amount of stock and carry a good variety on hand.

Do I really care if you pay 5 bucks for 20 fasteners and I pay 6? If you want to nit pick McMaster lists out an alloy cap screw 00-80 3/4 long 10 pcs for $6.76 and Micro Fasteners lists 20 pcs for $5.80.

Without any proof you assume anyone other than McMaster is selling inferior product what a load of doo doo. If that were the case there would only be one supplier of quality fasteners.

Dennis
Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another good source

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...ccessories.htm

JG
Old 02-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by JGrc

Yep I found you can never have enough sources what one doesn't have someone else will.

Dennis