Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The FAA wants to outlaw building!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

The FAA wants to outlaw building!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:12 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an FAA reauthorization bill. It will definitely go through Congress to the president's desk. If goes as is, our hobby is toast.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Fly4Real
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMA is failing us here in the USA boys!! Here is the latest from their own website...AMA is disappointed with several of the provisions that passed the Senate, which could undermine our community’s model aircraft activity and detract from the creativity, innovation and enjoyment of the hobby.One of the provisions would require all UAS, including model aircraft, to meet new FAA design and production standards and impose unnecessary regulation on hobbyists who often build their own models at home. This legislation also puts new requirements on model aircraft operations within 5 miles of airports, potentially jeopardizing hundreds of existing flying sites that have operated safely and harmoniously within our communities for decades. And finally, the bill creates an unnecessary and unsubstantiated requirement for AMA members ages 13 and above to take an online FAA safety test and carry proof of passing the test when flying.
The AMA is NOT getting the job done! They are utterly incompetent. Call/Write your Senators and Congressmen, lets prevent this from being the last scale RC flying season in the USA!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA Fail.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2158334  
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM
bokuda

We could potentially be required to carry 4 cards in order to fly at an AMA sanctioned club field, if we are able to fly at all: AMA card, club membership card, FAA registration card, and card proving passing a test. There is also the possibility that aircraft we now own would become illegal to fly since they may not meet whatever certification requirements the FAA comes up with. Imagine: a 9 ounce foamy, fixed wing aircraft would need to have an airworthiness cert. from the FAA!

Asinine beyond comprehension.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:28 AM
abufletcher

You can have my X-acto knife when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by bokuda
We could potentially be required to carry 4 cards in order to fly at an AMA sanctioned club field, if we are able to fly at all: AMA card, club membership card, FAA registration card, and card proving passing a test.
I'm sure that anyone who passed the written test at the DMV (so they can legally drive to the flying field) can, without problem, pass an online "flight safety" quiz for the FAA. Besides, that would almost be sort of cool...to whip out one's "RC Pilot license" and say: "Step back, ma'am, I'm a certified RC enthusiast." Club membership card??? You mean that bit of paper usually printed out on someone's home inkjet?

As far as the "airworthiness certificate," that would be virtually unenforceable. Would the FAA be stationing an army of "RC Air Marshals" at every flying field around the nation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Last edited by abufletcher; 04-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM
bokuda

"I'm sure that anyone who passed the written test at the DMV (so they can legally drive to the flying field) can, without problem, pass an online "flight safety" quiz for the FAA"

Let's just give 'em this, let's just give 'em that. Soon we've got
nothing.

"As far as the "airworthiness certificate," that would be virtually unenforceable. Would the FAA be stationing an army of "RC Air Marshals" at every flying field around the nation?"

All they need to do is pick some poor sap and make an example of him by publicizing it. The fine for flying anything radio controlled over 8 ounces, unregistered with the FAA is up to $27.500. How many are willing to risk that to fly?

I hope the JCAB is more sane than the FAA.

Last edited by bokuda; 04-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 PM
bokuda

Originally Posted by abufletcher
You can have my X-acto knife when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!
We'll still be able to build - static display models.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:46 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It sure will be interesting if rules for airworthiness pass for model unmanned aircraft. It may even include TSO’s; Technical Standard Order, PMA; Parts Manufacturer Approval, STC; Supplemental Type Certificates and then the traceability of parts installed on a model.

Yes it can or will get really intesting. Read this spoof on the FAA TSO’d Pencil
Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 PM
abufletcher

It's hard to imagine what sort of "airworthiness" standards could be developed for an average sized model. (But I wouldn't discount the pencil scenario.)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Is anyone else out there thinking about trains?
Doc
Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 PM
bokuda

Originally Posted by geezeraviation
Doc
Nope. Maybe control line or just sub 8 oz. r/c - which I find humiliating. Nothing against small planes, I have several, but it is demeaning to be limited to them without the ridiculous registration requirement.

Built this last summer:

Name:	DSC04919.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2159613  
Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 PM
abufletcher

I've often thought that if I couldn't continue with RC scale, for example, for financial reasons or if I could no longer support a "shop," then I could happily join the free-flight scale community which does some truly amazing small scale modeling.

I'd actually rather do this than switch to electric RC (which I view as a greater threat to my own person enjoyment of WWI RC modeling than the FAA).

Name:	FF-DH2.png
Views:	41
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	2159620  

Last edited by abufletcher; 04-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My first love was rubber powered free flight scale and I could return to it very easily. I would prefer it to be by choice however! I will continue to build scale models one way or another, that I do know for certain.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 AM
bokuda

I think I'd rather switch to control line scale than free flight. I have a lot of respect for those who fly scale free flight, but I don't think I could put that much work into a plane and fly it with no control. Indoor free flight might be another option since there is less risk of significant damage with a crash.

To satisfy my urge to build, and not wanting to invest time in planes I might not be able to fly, I've been making wooden toys for my grandson and whirligigs for friends!

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	2159696   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	2159697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04877.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	2159698  
Old 04-28-2016, 07:52 AM
abufletcher

Back when I was a kid, I would build the Guillow's WWI planes....(all balsa, tissue, and dope) then pack them with matches, set them on fire and send them to their doom. It became even more dramatic once I learned to make hydrogen-filled balloons with zinc and hydrochloric acid (which at that time you could buy in hobby shops). So free-flight sounds fine to me.

Last edited by abufletcher; 04-28-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The sky is falling, the sky s falling.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 PM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The sky is falling, the sky s falling.
That'd be a welcome change. Usually, it's my models.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geezeraviation
Doc
Yes!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am fine with a online test because it make it more difficult for someone to say they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. As for the building certification I think that is just plane stupid .