Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Futaba vs frsky

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Futaba vs frsky

Old 12-26-2016, 07:41 AM
yoavik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLERIOT XI - Futaba vs frsky

hey guys..
my old scratch built BLERIO XI is going back in the air after a "short" rest of five years!
based on a PCM 72MHZ JR receiver, ive got a new futaba FASST for it now, and need to know
Is there a real and fundamental difference between those receivers-
Futaba R617FS 7-Channel FASST Receiver
FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz Receiver FASST Compatible
is there anyone who's using an FRSKY FASST for a 1/3 scale gasser, with 100% confidence!?
I would love to get a strong opinion, based on knowledge and/or experience!
thanks, and merry christmas all
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BL1.jpg
Views:	3273
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2194339  

Last edited by yoavik; 12-26-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:12 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The safe play is stick with futaba,at my local hobbyshop they are selling hyperion Rx,the owner says the guys love them.jeffo
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 PM
TFF

I would not risk something important on the frsky. Just not worth it. I would rather fly with the 72 PCM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

I have a friend who has been flying a Frsky Rx, using a Taranus Tx for a year now in a large scale gasser and hasn't had any problems. He now has the newer Horus Tx and is preparing to install it all in a 1/5 scale Bronco with twin 35cc gas engines. It's all very trick with programming options that are near unlimited, by all means a very sophisticated radio system, albeit a bit less expensive so some folks are afraid of them. If you check the forums and read accounts from users you don't find much to be afraid of.
Doc
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I am using the Frsky in my Valiant w/DLE 35 as well as My Escapade ,MX DLE 35 also, not exactly cheap airplanes. They are compatible with my Hitec 9 channel. They have performed flawlessly in these planes and others I have owned in the past several years. I have a 30 cc Spitfire coming from Tower and It will have a Frsky in it! These Receivers are a real value in my humble opinion.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting. Two "good" reviews based on actual experience and two "bad" reviews based on biases. Maybe people should keep their mouths shut unless they have actual experience or know someone who does..
Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM
geezeraviation

Sort of how I feel about it, I'm, on a fixed income these days and hobby dollars are carefully spent. My future radio needs will be moving in the direction of more bang for my buck, no choice, no brainer.
Doc
Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2.4 is more convenient than 72, but experience has shown that it is definitely not interference free. PCM was always the most reliable choice and now that nobody else is on it, it is bullet proof. And since you already have it, it's also free.

I use 2.4 for my foamies and PCM for anything large or expensive.

Jim
Old 12-27-2016, 10:40 AM
geezeraviation

Fly ins are moving towards "all 2.4 " having attended one that was 2.4 only this past year, though I agree with 72 being so sparsely populated these days its easy to get a spot on the flight line for any given frequency.
Doc
Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a 2.4 only fly in proposed in this area, but it was voted down. It seems counter productive to exclude the flyers with the most reliable radio links, but I guess it is easier to put on an event without having to provide a frequency board.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf
2.4 is more convenient than 72, but experience has shown that it is definitely not interference free. PCM was always the most reliable choice and now that nobody else is on it, it is bullet proof. And since you already have it, it's also free.

I use 2.4 for my foamies and PCM for anything large or expensive.

Jim
Interesting Jim.....I have a LOT of 72 rx that's for sure!
Old 12-27-2016, 01:56 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

I fly on the TARANIS 9XE I also have spectrum dx18 and flown futaba for many years. as an aerobatic pilot. I love the 9xe it allows me to do anything I can conceive off plus you can update the firmware on the rx very easily. I am currently flying a large Lysander with a saito 450 radial and its flown quite happierly on the 8 channel x range of rx , it must be said that having the self test function buit into the set and a constant signal strength during flight gives e lots more confidence than other radios I have owned plus they are cheap.
The only thing I would ad is correctty placing your antenna is very important with frsky especially if you have a huge radial in front of it

Regards

Major Splat
Old 12-27-2016, 02:59 PM
bdoxey
My Feedback: (6)

I have a Futaba 12FG. I have used FRSKY FASST compatible receivers in several electric autogyros, a rather speedy electric pattern style aircraft, and a DLE-20 powered autogyro with absolutely no issues. I also have one in a 2.3 meter sailplane that I have specked out altitude and range-wise several times, also with no issues.

I do use Futaba brand receivers on my 50cc warbirds.....just "because."

Your Bleriot is really nice looking. Any videos?

Bryan
Old 12-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Papa51

When I first got into RC flying, I opted for Airtronics equipment mainly because I could get A LOT more bang for my buck. Never experienced any problems. In fact, on several occasions I took off neglecting to extend my TX antena. I did not realize it until well into the flights when I experienced only momentary blips of signal loss and that was only when the aircraft was relatively low, pretty far out and headed back toward me. This prompted me to do some ground - testing comparing my Airtronics equipment against my brother's Futaba equipment. Same aircrafts similarly set up and my ground radio checks showed the Airtronics equipment to have significantly larger separation before any noticeable signal interruption. Based on my testing, (albeit not scientific), I really do not think a FUTABA setup would have survived the same blunder (forgetting to extend TX antena). Now I admit to the stupidity of taking off without checking to make sure my TX antena was extended and I consider myself VERY lucky not to have lost any aircraft due to it but my comparison ground testing at least gave me more faith and confidence in my Airtronics equipment. Futaba and JR seem now and always have been more or less the industry standard and (in my opinion) are therefore, overpriced in comparison to other brands. All of this being said, I am in the process of transitioning over to Futaba equipment ONLY because of the decline in availability of Airtronics (now Sanwa) equipment. However, until that time when my transition is complete, I will faithfully fly my old Airtronics equipment with the utmost confidence. My point in all this being that just because certain equipment is not the most whiz - bang expensive out there, it does not necessarily mean that it is inferior equipment.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Interesting. Two "good" reviews based on actual experience and two "bad" reviews based on biases. Maybe people should keep their mouths shut unless they have actual experience or know someone who does..
+1
Old 12-27-2016, 06:02 PM
robin44

I have been flying FrSky for the last 5 years. My latest is a Top Flite FW-190 with Saito FG-90R3. So not a cheap plane. I am 100% confident in the FrSky receivers and transmitter (Taranis). The telemetry that you get standard with FrSky is very good. Because the FrSky receivers are such good value, I put in 2 receivers in my planes for redundancy.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I purchase mine from Aloft Hobbies, good prices and great service..........
Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

I have a 72mhz Futaba 9c with a FrSky 2.4 conversion for several years and fly several sport planes with zero issues. Also have a Futaba 6ex 2.4 using FrSky compatable receivers again with zero issues. We fly on new years day in sub zero weather and I've not had an issue in the cold either. Never had one fail.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 PM
yoavik

Thanks all for your comments, i realy Appreciate it!

Last edited by yoavik; 12-27-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one FrSky Fasst that works well so far in my relatively cheap airplane. The transmitter is an old Futaba that had the recall for all of them having the same code. Not exactly high dollar.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't have any experience with the FrSky FASST Rx's, but do have FrSky experience. Don Smith B-24 with 4 DLE-20's using 2 FrSky X-8 Rx's and Taranis Tx. One of many large scale, gas powered airplanes I have on FrSky Rx's with never a glitch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle 2015 (400).JPG
Views:	3241
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2194756  
Old 12-29-2016, 02:05 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by s3nfo

Don't have any experience with the FrSky FASST Rx's, but do have FrSky experience. Don Smith B-24 with 4 DLE-20's using 2 FrSky X-8 Rx's and Taranis Tx. One of many large scale, gas powered airplanes I have on FrSky Rx's with never a glitch.
thanx, Excellent information!!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
I have a 72mhz Futaba 9c with a FrSky 2.4 conversion for several years and fly several sport planes with zero issues. Also have a Futaba 6ex 2.4 using FrSky compatable receivers again with zero issues. We fly on new years day in sub zero weather and I've not had an issue in the cold either. Never had one fail.
thank you!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by wnewbury
I have one FrSky Fasst that works well so far in my relatively cheap airplane. The transmitter is an old Futaba that had the recall for all of them having the same code. Not exactly high dollar.
thanx!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by robin44
I have been flying FrSky for the last 5 years. My latest is a Top Flite FW-190 with Saito FG-90R3. So not a cheap plane. I am 100% confident in the FrSky receivers and transmitter (Taranis). The telemetry that you get standard with FrSky is very good. Because the FrSky receivers are such good value, I put in 2 receivers in my planes for redundancy.
thanx robin, what kind of accessories do i need in order to conect 2 RX together?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.