Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hughes H1 Build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hughes H1 Build

Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM
rj lemay
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!
OK, I'll bring her back up to the table this weekend, and show some of the install, and maybe some shots of things that I haven't shared yet... I'm waiting for the remote antenna with the 24" extension to get the receiver to work.The only JR receiver that I could get with high power leads was their 8 ch.812BPX, and it did not come with the remote antenna. The previous receivers that I used to use, that are now discontinued, was the 831BP,and they came with the remote antenna. Go figure! Have a great night, and I hope everyone gets a flight in this weekend! Bob
Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 PM
rj lemay

Hello,Hello!
Well, as promised, I brought the H1 back upstairs from the RC holding/hanger room! I completed a few,small finish items such as drilling and tapping the cowl screw holes in the firewall and started to install the new fuel dot. I say new, because the first one that I had purchased from my LHS, was such a piece of junk that I had to replace it. I won't mention any manufacture's names but it's a popular one, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. It had two dots, one for the vent, and one for the fill. The vent was ok, because you really don't have to touch it, but the filler doesn't snap back in and stay in. They give you an o ring to accomplish this, but it just didn't work. So I ordered a "Seacraft" v2 fuel dot from Dreamworks, and although it was $27 bucks, it's a beautiful piece of hardware. I don't know about you guys, but I like a nice easy fueling port, that I don't have to think about after I put the fuel in or take it out! This one's really nice, it incorporates a little plastic doo-hicky that the filler line attaches to, working as the plug, then the screw that you see on the outside attaches to it via a swivel, so when you screw it on or off, the fuel line doesn't twist up with it. I highly recommend it. I also put the whole plane together for a quick photo shoot. I've never had it together with the gear down, standing on its own, and doing this outside really made me feel good about how it came out! Hope you like it! Have a great night, Everyone! Bob

Final Aircraft Pictures
Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
rj lemay

Sorry Guys,
I haven't posted any pictures with the new format, I just couldn't figure out how to do it. My stepson came up and couldn't figure it out either, so he put them on another picture website. Can somebody explain how we do it now? Thanks, Bob
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

test.
Go to advanced. click on paper clip. I hope it works. Dan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn2412.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	2212402
Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 AM
rj lemay

Yes That works.
Thanks Dan!
From the computer Dummy, Bob:
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Pork Chop

Originally Posted by rj lemay
Hello,Hello!
Well, as promised, I brought the H1 back upstairs from the RC holding/hanger room! I completed a few,small finish items such as drilling and tapping the cowl screw holes in the firewall and started to install the new fuel dot. I say new, because the first one that I had purchased from my LHS, was such a piece of junk that I had to replace it. I won't mention any manufacture's names but it's a popular one, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. It had two dots, one for the vent, and one for the fill. The vent was ok, because you really don't have to touch it, but the filler doesn't snap back in and stay in. They give you an o ring to accomplish this, but it just didn't work. So I ordered a "Seacraft" v2 fuel dot from Dreamworks, and although it was $27 bucks, it's a beautiful piece of hardware. I don't know about you guys, but I like a nice easy fueling port, that I don't have to think about after I put the fuel in or take it out! This one's really nice, it incorporates a little plastic doo-hicky that the filler line attaches to, working as the plug, then the screw that you see on the outside attaches to it via a swivel, so when you screw it on or off, the fuel line doesn't twist up with it. I highly recommend it. I also put the whole plane together for a quick photo shoot. I've never had it together with the gear down, standing on its own, and doing this outside really made me feel good about how it came out! Hope you like it! Have a great night, Everyone! Bob

Final Aircraft Pictures
Wow I never heard of Dreamworks R/C, I just checked out their products, very high quality. Remember when the Dubro fuel can set was the one to get?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:00 AM
TangoBravo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMPRESSIVE! That is beautiful, Bob. What's your estimate as far as a date for a maiden flight? You have to be getting anxious, and maybe a little nervous?

I know what you mean by "popular brand" and understand your disappointment. I recently bought a pair of 4" wheels, probably the same manufacturer you failed to mention. Both tires were so out-of-round that there were essentially unusable until I used my bench sander and took off the 'lumps'. I've been seeing a decline in the quality lately of some of the better known brands...but the prices aren't reflecting the lower quality, are they?

Tom
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM
rj lemay

Hi Everyone!
Hey Tom, well... the maiden should have been weeks ago, but I'm waiting for the remote antenna and its extension, ordered two weeks ago!...I'm hoping it'll be here this week sometime, and if it is...well you should be seeing the video next Sunday night! Thinking about flying this plane doesn't really make me nervous, but I am getting anxious cause I can't wait to see it in the air!! The inevitable shakes will start when I arrive at the field that day! Now when I look over at my Gee Bee R2, which hasn't maidened yet either, that plane makes nervous! There's something about the H1 that just looks airworthy, like it'll be a breeze to fly. I hope I'm right! Well no trip to the field today, due to weather. I hope everyone had a great weekend, with some great flying! Bob
Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

FANTASTIC! I hope she flies as good as she looks!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM
rj lemay

Hello!
Well it looks like Sunday will be the big day, weather permitting! I received the final parts today from Chief Aircraft, and spent most of the latter part of the day installing, and organizing the wiring inside the fuse. The picture shows how far I went, there is still a little more neatening up to do, but it's very close. I don't know if you can see, but I extended the balancing leads on both batteries, to approx 16". I don't understand why most batteries come with the balancing lead so short, 3" or so?? I do this on all of my models, then just attach a small Great Planes balancer when I charge. I do have balancing ports on my charger, but I find it very hard to plug them in to it. The GP balancer also gives a readout of voltage for up to 6 cells. The other picture shows the final engine install with mufflers attached. Ok! well I think I'll go check the local forcast for this Sunday, as I'll do over and over until Sunday! Thanks for watching Everyone! Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2212928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2212929  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:30 PM
TangoBravo

We'll all be here, Bob. Waiting and watching for a report. We're confident that the plane will fly as well as it is built. This has been a fun project to follow and we'll all miss it when it's done but then we can anticipate your next one. I hope that nasty weather that passed through Denver a couple of days ago has moved on north and east and you'll have great weather for Sunday. Keep in posted.

Tom
Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM
All Day Dan

Bob, If those gray wires are the antennas, you should isolate them from all other wires as much as you can. This is especially true if the other wires have power in them. Don't forget the all important range check before the maiden. Try to do a 360 degree walk around. Good luck. I appreciate you letting us join in. Dan.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM
rj lemay

Hey Everyone,
I have a quick question. I bound the receiver to my radio a few days ago, today I installed the remote antenna and it says that you need to rebind the system with the remote attached. When I attempt to do this, it won't rebind.. The radio system is working fine, but there's no steady light on the remote antenna. Anyone know how to remedy this or do I need to clear the whole model and start over? Can a receiver be "unbound" and started from step one? Thanks a lot, Bob
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM
rj lemay

BTW, I am using a JR XG11 radio an 8 ch dmss receiver, and the JR RA02TL dmss remote antenna.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 PM
All Day Dan

I've used receivers with dual antenna diversity in 50cc powered planes ever since they first came out with no problems. What is the purpose of the remote antenna? Can you live without it? Dan.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 PM
rj lemay

Hi All!
I'm sure that my setup is ok, with or without the remote, and I will be sure to perform a low power range check with the engine running. I just get frustrated with the way this system had to be modified from my usual setup. When I tried to call Horizon today to ask this question, they wanted nothing to do with talking about JR. They referred me to JR americas's, who when called, asked me to leave a detailed message, with my number, and someone would call me back. Well... no one called me back in 4hrs of time. I did post this over at the radios section of the forum. Anyway the big day is getting close I just hope the bad weather forecast for tomorrow and Sat. are out of here by Sunday!! Thanks Everyone, Bob
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Range check it without the remote and see how it works just in case you can't get the remote antenna working before then.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:21 PM
rj lemay

Hey Everyone!
Well, I got it to work today! After several attempts to call JR america's, I finally got through! I told the guy what I had and what it was doing, and he said yes that sounds like a problem... you might have to send it in... I then asked him if there's a way to reset the receiver to default settings, where it will need to be rebound again. This receiver comes with this feature called "ez bind", no binding plug required... well ok that worked on the initial binding of the receiver, I then had to take the switch plug and plug it into the mode/sensor port, hit the bind button, thus converting the 8 channel ports to x-bus capability. You then shut the system down and perform that same procedure over again, converting all the 8 ports back to normal. Now, with the bind plug in, and the remote antenna connected, hit the bind button, and what do you know... it worked!! Steady led on both the receiver and antenna!. Hey! EZ Bind....I love it! he he he... Well i'm just happy it's working. Now I just hope all this rain gets out of here by Sunday! Have a great night, Bob
Old 05-06-2017, 04:28 PM
rj lemay

Hello! Hello!
Well I took her down to the driveway today, put the wing on, gassed up, and she fired right up. A little bit of engine tuning, and I'm confident it's ready to go for tomorrow. I checked all controls, and everything was good. After I shut it down, I got down on the ground to check the retract and door operation. Well I hit the switch, and everything sounded ok, then everything didn't sound ok.... there was a horrible grinding sound, and one of the motors kept running, after the other side was completely retracted, the strut dropped down, unguided, and the motor proceeded to fall right out of the wing!! I said OH S**T!!! and immediately knew tomorrow was not going to be, then the dollar signs popped into my head for the BVM repair that was about to come! Well I took it all upstairs and told my wife that tomorrow wasn't happening. I put it on the table, took it apart. and to my amazement, the tiny 1/4" screws that hold the motor to the chassis, were still in their place! I screwed the motor back into its yoke,and again to my amazement, it wasn't stripped out! I put it all back together, with locktite, and it worked like new! I had forgotten to tighten those little motor holding screws last time I had the thing apart, and the vibration from the motor running today was just enough to unscrew them, and make the whole thing fall apart! OK! so we're all ready to go tomorrow, I even went to the field and mowed a 200'x30' patch today with my trusty 21" Lawnboy, and boy am I tired! Alright! I'll talk to you all again tomorrow. Thanks, Bob
Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 PM
rj lemay

Hi Everyone!
Well,the weather wouldn't have the maiden today Try again next weekend!
Have a Great night, Bob
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

If it had been me I would still be looking for the set screws to hold the motor in place! Next Friday sacrifice a local weatherman to the the weather gods to be safe, no one will miss him!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:14 PM
rj lemay

Hello!
Yeah Mike, I still can't believe they were still in the holes! Sometimes you get lucky! This Friday might be the day, as those darned weathermen are forecasting a washout this weekend!
Hope everyone is doing well. Bob
Old 05-11-2017, 05:07 PM
ibuild

Wow that's a beautiful machine!
I was initially thinking about the engine but it's such a nice build it might as well be designated the whole thing.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
rj lemay

Hey Thanks, Norway! I very much appreciate it!..... Hey Guys, I'm sorry to report that this weekend is going to be another washout, here in New England! Two to three inches of rain forecasted. O.K so we'll shoot for the next one! Sorry!!, Bob
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 PM
TangoBravo

Sorry about that nasty weather we sent east, Bob. It went through Denver and sure wet things down here. I was going to turn on the sprinkler system but now I can hold off a few days. Today was glorious however. Near 80 degrees, hardly any wind and a totally clear blue sky. I took two planes to the field and went through the better part of a gallon of overpriced 20% fuel but had a great day. Maybe this perfect weather will come your way soon. Keep us informed.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.