RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What Gyros are People Currently Using?

Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 AM
  #26  
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, NV
Posts: 2,508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy View Post
I don't get it, perhaps i am just old school. We should not need gyro's to fly fixed wing aircraft. If the plane is built straight and true and you know how to fly then fly the plane, not with some electronic gadget.
That's easy to say with planes that are inherently stable in their full scale versions. Try that with something like that with scale version of modern jets. That's a pretty short sighted comment.
Desertlakesflying is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
  #27  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 23,017
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

My favorite ever gyro story. Nall main flight line, saturday morning, it was windy as hell and only one guy was flying. It happened to be Danny from Demon Aero (distributors of the Cortex gyro) and he was flying a 3DHS Skywolf, just doing lazy touch and go landings, some mild aerobatics.

Guy comes up from behind and says "Does that thing have a gyro?" Danny says "Yes, a Demon Cortex" The guy says "well that's cheating!" Danny replies "Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"
BarracudaHockey is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
  #28  
otrcman
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Posts: 699
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

"Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"


I love it ! Just love it !
otrcman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM
  #29  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
My favorite ever gyro story. Nall main flight line, saturday morning, it was windy as hell and only one guy was flying. It happened to be Danny from Demon Aero (distributors of the Cortex gyro) and he was flying a 3DHS Skywolf, just doing lazy touch and go landings, some mild aerobatics.



Guy comes up from behind and says "Does that thing have a gyro?" Danny says "Yes, a Demon Cortex" The guy says "well that's cheating!" Danny replies "Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"



That is great!
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM
  #30  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 23,017
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

True story.

Like I said before, just another tool at your disposal to increase your enjoyment.

I thought of this today and I need to find a way to work it into an article.

A gyro will increase your flying to honey-do list ratio
BarracudaHockey is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM
  #31  
David Bathe
 
David Bathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 1,227
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Indeed. And these new setup are so much more than a gyro. It's stability, It's turbulance cancellation, It's auto mixing... and I whole new way of interfacing with your model.
No touching the tranny, small buttons and a small window, this and that. Just a direct interface with the receiver via the iPhone. Page after page, swipe after swipe of pure logic.
See a couple of screen shots... It's beautiful to use, even for my old eyes and brain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 17.13.14.png
Views:	21
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	2210496  
David Bathe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 AM
  #32  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I don't think I want to go that far, it was simplicity that killed the quad market.
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
  #33  
countilaw
 
countilaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 1,295
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I am assembling a Top Flite AT-6 Texan for Fun Scale. I am using it as a basis for my completed model. I want to use a gyro due to the narrow gear configuration. With the gear close set, it can make for some scary cross wind take offs and landings. I just haven't decided which I want to use yet. I am leaning toward the FrSky S6D receiver that has the gyro built in.

Frank
countilaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 AM
  #34  
David Bathe
 
David Bathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 1,227
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I don't think I want to go that far, it was simplicity that killed the quad market.
The quad market has absolutely exploded. Or am I living in a parallel universe.
David Bathe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 AM
  #35  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

A number of the big mail order dealers who got big into quads as well as some of the manufacturers have already closed their doors saying it was due to a sharp downturn in demand. The industry as a whole is looking a lot like a starved horse. Even Hobbico and Horizon are hurting. Super Tigre has decided to permanently shutter production and the line is up for sale. As far as I know the on hobby company posting a gain is Brodak/Dare.

For the record I purchased the Hitec HG3XA to try in my VK Models Fokker DR-1 that I am building. It fits the requirements I wanted at a very reasonable price. There is an ongoing thread on another board about it.

HG3XA 3-Axis Stabilization Gyro System | HITEC RCD USA
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
  #36  
mgnostic
Thread Starter
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 991
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
A number of the big mail order dealers who got big into quads as well as some of the manufacturers have already closed their doors saying it was due to a sharp downturn in demand. The industry as a whole is looking a lot like a starved horse. Even Hobbico and Horizon are hurting. Super Tigre has decided to permanently shutter production and the line is up for sale. As far as I know the on hobby company posting a gain is Brodak/Dare.

For the record I purchased the Hitec HG3XA to try in my VK Models Fokker DR-1 that I am building. It fits the requirements I wanted at a very reasonable price. There is an ongoing thread on another board about it.

HG3XA 3-Axis Stabilization Gyro System HITEC RCD USA
I think that we will see that the whole quad rotor "drone" thing will turn out to be another expensive fad for most people. There was a lot of initial enthusiasm and a lot of product was rushed to market. There have been a lot of really neat ideas developed and I hope that the technology isn't lost to the market. Just like with go-carts, mini bikes and frisbee golf there will remain a core group of enthusiasts who continue to enjoy the activity but I agree that the market has been flooded. Incidentally I think that all of the regulation directed at "drones" will turn out to have been a colossal waste. Veering back toward the main topic I got to watch an Eflight Ultimate Biplane being maidened yesterday. It had some sort of stability assist that the owner used to help out with the first flight. There was discussion among the pilots about using stability assist with some of the hand launched flying wings that are popular in the area.
mgnostic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM
  #37  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I think a gyro servers a purpose the trick is to NOT get totally dependent on it.
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM
  #38  
buzzard bait
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 3,274
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I think a gyro servers a purpose the trick is to NOT get totally dependent on it.
Yeah, that sounds right, I feel the same way about driving with GPS.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
  #39  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
Yeah, that sounds right, I feel the same way about driving with GPS.

Jim
My son gave me heck once when we were visiting him at FT. Carson, CO because we took off without getting his GPS. I told him I have my own GPS it's called a "MAP".
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 PM
  #40  
beepee
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,325
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

On the gyro subject: has anyone tried the Orange RX3S 3-Axis flight stabilizer? I had an old piazo gyro in yaw (rudder) on a short coupled bi-plane. It worked great, but after spending some (long) time in storage it became 90% ineffective. I have been looking at the current offerings and this Orange product ticks some important boxes for me. It is switchable, has separate gain and reverse controls on the three axes.

Thanks,

Bedford
beepee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 AM
  #41  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by beepee View Post
On the gyro subject: has anyone tried the Orange RX3S 3-Axis flight stabilizer? I had an old piazo gyro in yaw (rudder) on a short coupled bi-plane. It worked great, but after spending some (long) time in storage it became 90% ineffective. I have been looking at the current offerings and this Orange product ticks some important boxes for me. It is switchable, has separate gain and reverse controls on the three axes.

Thanks,

Bedford
Check this out":

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght-Stabilizer
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 AM
  #42  
beepee
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,325
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Very helpful. Thanks Flyer.

Bedford
beepee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM
  #43  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 9,454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Glad to help not everyone can find everything and not everything is all one board. Finding the information is half the battle.
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service