Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What Gyros are People Currently Using?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What Gyros are People Currently Using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
I don't get it, perhaps i am just old school. We should not need gyro's to fly fixed wing aircraft. If the plane is built straight and true and you know how to fly then fly the plane, not with some electronic gadget.
That's easy to say with planes that are inherently stable in their full scale versions. Try that with something like that with scale version of modern jets. That's a pretty short sighted comment.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

My favorite ever gyro story. Nall main flight line, saturday morning, it was windy as hell and only one guy was flying. It happened to be Danny from Demon Aero (distributors of the Cortex gyro) and he was flying a 3DHS Skywolf, just doing lazy touch and go landings, some mild aerobatics.

Guy comes up from behind and says "Does that thing have a gyro?" Danny says "Yes, a Demon Cortex" The guy says "well that's cheating!" Danny replies "Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"

I love it ! Just love it !
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
My favorite ever gyro story. Nall main flight line, saturday morning, it was windy as hell and only one guy was flying. It happened to be Danny from Demon Aero (distributors of the Cortex gyro) and he was flying a 3DHS Skywolf, just doing lazy touch and go landings, some mild aerobatics.

Guy comes up from behind and says "Does that thing have a gyro?" Danny says "Yes, a Demon Cortex" The guy says "well that's cheating!" Danny replies "Why aren't you flying?" The fellow says "it's too windy"

That is great!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

True story.

Like I said before, just another tool at your disposal to increase your enjoyment.

I thought of this today and I need to find a way to work it into an article.

A gyro will increase your flying to honey-do list ratio
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed. And these new setup are so much more than a gyro. It's stability, It's turbulance cancellation, It's auto mixing... and I whole new way of interfacing with your model.
No touching the tranny, small buttons and a small window, this and that. Just a direct interface with the receiver via the iPhone. Page after page, swipe after swipe of pure logic.
See a couple of screen shots... It's beautiful to use, even for my old eyes and brain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 17.13.14.png
Views:	57
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	2210496  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't think I want to go that far, it was simplicity that killed the quad market.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assembling a Top Flite AT-6 Texan for Fun Scale. I am using it as a basis for my completed model. I want to use a gyro due to the narrow gear configuration. With the gear close set, it can make for some scary cross wind take offs and landings. I just haven't decided which I want to use yet. I am leaning toward the FrSky S6D receiver that has the gyro built in.

Frank
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I don't think I want to go that far, it was simplicity that killed the quad market.
The quad market has absolutely exploded. Or am I living in a parallel universe.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

A number of the big mail order dealers who got big into quads as well as some of the manufacturers have already closed their doors saying it was due to a sharp downturn in demand. The industry as a whole is looking a lot like a starved horse. Even Hobbico and Horizon are hurting. Super Tigre has decided to permanently shutter production and the line is up for sale. As far as I know the on hobby company posting a gain is Brodak/Dare.

For the record I purchased the Hitec HG3XA to try in my VK Models Fokker DR-1 that I am building. It fits the requirements I wanted at a very reasonable price. There is an ongoing thread on another board about it.

HG3XA 3-Axis Stabilization Gyro System | HITEC RCD USA
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

A number of the big mail order dealers who got big into quads as well as some of the manufacturers have already closed their doors saying it was due to a sharp downturn in demand. The industry as a whole is looking a lot like a starved horse. Even Hobbico and Horizon are hurting. Super Tigre has decided to permanently shutter production and the line is up for sale. As far as I know the on hobby company posting a gain is Brodak/Dare.

For the record I purchased the Hitec HG3XA to try in my VK Models Fokker DR-1 that I am building. It fits the requirements I wanted at a very reasonable price. There is an ongoing thread on another board about it.

HG3XA 3-Axis Stabilization Gyro System HITEC RCD USA
I think that we will see that the whole quad rotor "drone" thing will turn out to be another expensive fad for most people. There was a lot of initial enthusiasm and a lot of product was rushed to market. There have been a lot of really neat ideas developed and I hope that the technology isn't lost to the market. Just like with go-carts, mini bikes and frisbee golf there will remain a core group of enthusiasts who continue to enjoy the activity but I agree that the market has been flooded. Incidentally I think that all of the regulation directed at "drones" will turn out to have been a colossal waste. Veering back toward the main topic I got to watch an Eflight Ultimate Biplane being maidened yesterday. It had some sort of stability assist that the owner used to help out with the first flight. There was discussion among the pilots about using stability assist with some of the hand launched flying wings that are popular in the area.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think a gyro servers a purpose the trick is to NOT get totally dependent on it.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a gyro servers a purpose the trick is to NOT get totally dependent on it.
Yeah, that sounds right, I feel the same way about driving with GPS.

Jim
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Yeah, that sounds right, I feel the same way about driving with GPS.

Jim
My son gave me heck once when we were visiting him at FT. Carson, CO because we took off without getting his GPS. I told him I have my own GPS it's called a "MAP".
Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 PM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the gyro subject: has anyone tried the Orange RX3S 3-Axis flight stabilizer? I had an old piazo gyro in yaw (rudder) on a short coupled bi-plane. It worked great, but after spending some (long) time in storage it became 90% ineffective. I have been looking at the current offerings and this Orange product ticks some important boxes for me. It is switchable, has separate gain and reverse controls on the three axes.

Thanks,

Bedford
Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by beepee
On the gyro subject: has anyone tried the Orange RX3S 3-Axis flight stabilizer? I had an old piazo gyro in yaw (rudder) on a short coupled bi-plane. It worked great, but after spending some (long) time in storage it became 90% ineffective. I have been looking at the current offerings and this Orange product ticks some important boxes for me. It is switchable, has separate gain and reverse controls on the three axes.

Thanks,

Bedford
Check this out":

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght-Stabilizer
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful. Thanks Flyer.

Bedford
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Glad to help not everyone can find everything and not everything is all one board. Finding the information is half the battle.