Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Spitfire details

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Spitfire details

Old 12-29-2017, 06:19 AM
fasteray
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spitfire details

Hello all,
I am looking to find information on where and what some markings are on a Spitfire. Presently I am building a 1/4 scale Mark 1X Phoenix Spit. Some of my questions are where would I find placement of nav lights, what are the red circles on the leading edge of wing denoting. ETC, their must be info on this, I just have had no success on finding it. Guy's in my club seem to have different answers which is not much help and they (some) know what they are talking about. Any leads would be of help to me as I want to scale it out to the best of my ability.
Thank you all,
Fasteray
Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

One option is to hop on Amazon and do a search for Spitfire books. There is a pretty huge selection. Most helpful may be books on the restoration of a specific plane. The Spitfire is a popular and therefore well documented plane. "coffee table" books are usually only good for large format photos of currently existing aircraft but a lot of the more detailed specialty books will have nice three view drawings. It is also possible to buy Photo Paks and walk-arounds that provide a comprehensive set of photos for a particular aircraft. If you haven't already, you may want to look in the warbirds thread on this site. The red circles, by the way, are probably the taped over gun port on the wings leading edge. The number of circles will vary with the mark but a Mark I should have four on each wing, one for each of the Browning .303 machine guns.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM
fasteray

Default Spitfire

Thank you Mark. Sounds like a good option. I have two 20 mm cannons and six total red spots or coverings over the gun ports. Some of what I have read says six 303s or two 20mm. So it had me confused as if they are covers then the plane is configured as on the ground and not in flight for a fight or else they shot through them. See my confusion?
Thanks Ray
Old 12-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The red fabric patches over the gun ports were doped in place to keep dirt and grime from entering and if the guns were fired they would be shot through and then replaced as necessary. If you do a search on Google for "Spitfire Walkaround" you will find many, many detail photos online. Much more than you could ever acquire in a hundred books. Just make sure you are looking at the correct mark of Spitfire when deciding on which details to duplicate.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteray
Thank you Mark. Sounds like a good option. I have two 20 mm cannons and six total red spots or coverings over the gun ports. Some of what I have read says six 303s or two 20mm. So it had me confused as if they are covers then the plane is configured as on the ground and not in flight for a fight or else they shot through them. See my confusion?
Thanks Ray
Building on what Chad said, you have to be sure of what version of the Spitfire you are modeling. For a WWII era fighter the Spitfire had a long production run and there are 40+ major variants. Even wikipedia has a nifty article that is an into to all the Spitfire variants. Somehow I read the OP as Mark 1 - X but now see that he meant Mark IX. It looks like there were at least three variations on the armament including as many as four Hispano cannons.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 PM
fasteray

Default Spitfire details

The plane I am building now is the Pheonix 1/4 scale Spifire. It should be a Mark IX. If I am wrong clue me in.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Chad Veich

I don't see a 1/4 scale Spitfire from Phoenix. Rather I think what you have it their one to seven and one quarter scale model, otherwise rendered 1/7.25 scale. If that is the one then indeed it probably most representative of a Mk.IX Spitfire.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM
fasteray

Default Spit size Chad

Chad check Tower Hobbies, most definatly a 1/4 Pheonix Spitfire.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by fasteray
Chad check Tower Hobbies, most definatly a 1/4 Pheonix Spitfire.
Doh! Of course I'm familiar with that one as it has been quite popular in the various forums lately. That one is closest to the Griffon powered Mk.XIV Spitfires rather than the Merlin powered Mk.IX version.